Ironman bumper install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought this Bumper from MetalTech last month and finally got around to the install. We were already in Salem, OR so I ran up to Newburg and loaded up a bumper and sliders. John Love was great, showed me around the place and took all my money, not that much actually. Below is a short video I put together of the install.

sweet bumper! what did it cost?

Looks sweet man!

Appreciate the video and the info.

Can I ask why Ironman and not ARB? Just curious.

The Ironman bumper comes with the winch mount and the light kit included in the base price of $1050. I got this one in person at MetalTech, the North American distributor for Ironman. I also caught a sale at the end of the year. The arb is about $200 more and the winch mount and light kit add even more cost. Both arb and Ironman are airbag compatible unlike some or most domestic bumpers.

Great video. The idea of slotting the grille support brackets was really cool too.

Do you think the 100 series would need the same spacer on the bottom of the bracket, or is that a Lexus thing?

Looks awesome. Thanks for sharing the vid.

So does Ironman have any plans to remedy the issue there because I for sure don't have access to aluminum plate and such. Honestly I'd be upset if I got my front end tore apart and learned part of the install was up to me to fix.

Interesting...

Still looks great and the price is perfect but that needs to be addressed though.

So does Ironman have any plans to remedy the issue there because I for sure don't have access to aluminum plate and such. Honestly I'd be upset if I got my front end tore apart and learned part of the install was up to me to fix.

Interesting...

Still looks great and the price is perfect but that needs to be addressed though.

They're a pretty big name in Australia I haven't heard of the issue before but not a lot of people are running their bumpers in the US I'd be interested to hear from them.

They're a pretty big name in Australia I haven't heard of the issue before but not a lot of people are running their bumpers in the US I'd be interested to hear from them.

I can't wait to see yours man! Since I know it's the same one that fits my LC, hahaha...

LMK when we need to take the Tacoma down and go get it!

Subscribed

Interesting...

I believe you can just trim the bottom of the factory mount so everything clears, it's the same with the arb. The arb install instructions have you trim the frame end.

I believe you can just trim the bottom of the factory mount so everything clears, it's the same with the arb. The arb install instructions have you trim the frame end.

You can trim or remove the mount from the end of the frame but the shim issue remains. Review the video again and you'll see that bumper mounting hardware fits over the frame end including the factory bumper bracket.

You can trim or remove the mount from the end of the frame but the shim issue remains. Review the video again and you'll see that bumper mounting hardware fits over the frame end including the factory bumper bracket.
Yes, but if you trim a 1/4" off the bottom of the frame end it would allow the bracket to go up a 1/4" right? Not sure if this would leave you with to tight of a body gap or not. Then you could use a washer or two to space out the top side. Looks like the spacer worked out well though. I have no experience with the iron man but it looks similar to the arb and those require trimming.

Last edited:
You can also install a new flasher for the led blinker. I have had quite a few customers do that with good results, takes about 5 min and you can get them on Amazon.
The resistor will work as well but the flasher is a nice easy option.

Yes, but if you trim a 1/4" off the bottom of the frame end it would allow the bracket to go up a 1/4" right? Then you could use a washer or two to space out the top side. I have no experience with the iron man but it looks similar to the arb and those require trimming.

That could work too but the washers wouldn't provide the same bearing surface as a shim. Either way you'll need a to take up that extra space between the frame and mount. In the end it's a less than ideal situation but the end result is still a solid connection which is important since this is the direct connection of the winch to the vehicle.

That could work too but the washers wouldn't provide the same bearing surface as a shim. Either way you'll need a to take up that extra space between the frame and mount. In the end it's a less than ideal situation but the end result is still a solid connection which is important since this is the direct connection of the winch to the vehicle.
Agreed.
It seams that the spacer they provide would allow the bracket to bend When the bolts are tightened due to the fact they are a channel rather than a solid spacer. Your aluminum spacer should definitely help with this issue.
It's odd that iron man would not supply a solid spacer the correct size.

?: does your bumper have jack (as in hi-lift) points/slots?
Yes it does. One pocket on either side of the winch opening.

20170209_235259.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom