Introduction Thread...Who are you, and what do you drive? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

TL;DR: New member with 1995 80 and 1997 4Runner (neither as daily)

Hello,

I recently signed up for a membership after purchasing a 1995 locked 80 that spent most of its time in southeastern PA. I live and work in the area and thought I would introduce myself.

During the pandemic, I purchased a 1997 4Runner 5-Speed (everything I wanted expect E-locker) with a fair amount of frame and body damage, and went about rehabbing it to create a fun go-anywhere bike/canoe/kayak/dog hauler for my family. I spent over a year on the rehab process and a shockingly small amount of money since most of what was needed was just hours, and wow did I have them with lots of things shut down. I “finished” that project in Fall 2022 and as the days got shorter I realized how much I enjoyed the rehab process, and I began doing a weekly look for an affordable Land Cruiser that would keep me occupied.

I felt lucky to find an 80 recently (even the same 202 paint color as 4Runner!) and I have started down a similar rehab process. I got it ready for inspection and safe to drive (I was surprised at how well it did on the emissions test), and then immediately took it home and started disassembling. First project is interior, I am in the process of giving everything an initial clean and then ripping everything out to clean again and reassemble with lots of new parts (missing interior pieces, new carpet pieces, seat gears, need to do something about the leather, etc. - I am buying parts, fixing parts, fabbing parts, 3D printing parts, the whole range) while I also add a rear camera and audio system. Then will move to a much deeper analysis of everything in the engine bay and drivetrain, and finally exterior fixes and a likely repaint of both trucks this summer.

I plan to keep the 4Runner as a family activity hauler that goes offroad sometimes, and the 80 as something that primarily lives off pavement but can legally drive there. I look forward to meeting everyone, and hope to meet some folks that know something about the history of this specific 80. I know there is a wealth of expertise in this group and I look forward to learning lots and doing my part to give one of these the next 28 great years it deserves! I have some big decisions to make soon (most obvious is rear bumper and where to put the soon-to-arrive fifth 315).

I will stop rambling, but I hope to get to meet some of you soon!
Welcome aboard and thanks for the intro!

If you're up for it, I'm sure many of us would like to follow along with the rehab of your 80 series, feel free to post a thread about it.

TL;DR: New member with 1995 80 and 1997 4Runner (neither as daily)

Hello,

I recently signed up for a membership after purchasing a 1995 locked 80 that spent most of its time in southeastern PA. I live and work in the area and thought I would introduce myself.

During the pandemic, I purchased a 1997 4Runner 5-Speed (everything I wanted expect E-locker) with a fair amount of frame and body damage, and went about rehabbing it to create a fun go-anywhere bike/canoe/kayak/dog hauler for my family. I spent over a year on the rehab process and a shockingly small amount of money since most of what was needed was just hours, and wow did I have them with lots of things shut down. I “finished” that project in Fall 2022 and as the days got shorter I realized how much I enjoyed the rehab process, and I began doing a weekly look for an affordable Land Cruiser that would keep me occupied.

I felt lucky to find an 80 recently (even the same 202 paint color as 4Runner!) and I have started down a similar rehab process. I got it ready for inspection and safe to drive (I was surprised at how well it did on the emissions test), and then immediately took it home and started disassembling. First project is interior, I am in the process of giving everything an initial clean and then ripping everything out to clean again and reassemble with lots of new parts (missing interior pieces, new carpet pieces, seat gears, need to do something about the leather, etc. - I am buying parts, fixing parts, fabbing parts, 3D printing parts, the whole range) while I also add a rear camera and audio system. Then will move to a much deeper analysis of everything in the engine bay and drivetrain, and finally exterior fixes and a likely repaint of both trucks this summer.

I plan to keep the 4Runner as a family activity hauler that goes offroad sometimes, and the 80 as something that primarily lives off pavement but can legally drive there. I look forward to meeting everyone, and hope to meet some folks that know something about the history of this specific 80. I know there is a wealth of expertise in this group and I look forward to learning lots and doing my part to give one of these the next 28 great years it deserves! I have some big decisions to make soon (most obvious is rear bumper and where to put the soon-to-arrive fifth 315).

I will stop rambling, but I hope to get to meet some of you soon!
Welcome aboard man. I too have an 80 and 3G4R. 97 triple locked currently getting some restoration work done at a shop(quite a bit beyond my ability) and just picked up an 02 SR5 Runner as a weekend adventure truck.

Figured I’d post here, been lurking in the 100 series for awhile waiting for one to buy. I’m Tyler nice to meet everyone.

Shipped this in recently(CA) I don’t really wheel, and this will be the first vehicle that I’ve planned to work on mostly myself. Will be a DD + vacation trip Cruiser. Mechanically this is in great shape already, the heat/sun did a number on the rubber/leather/ some faded paint. No rust by our standards.

Hoping next year I’ll have a platform in the back to camp out of with some family members that haul campers around.

Any locals in Berks County? I rarely see any LCs, around here.

Also have (2) 4th gen 4Rs 2UZs. 234k and 193k

IMG_3772.jpeg

IMG_3773.jpeg

IMG_3774.jpeg

Last edited:
Welcome to the group it's a good bunch. Lotsa land cruisers around, Steve Colavito in Temple has several as do the Merkeys who may be in either Berks or Lancaster counties but not far from Reading.

Haven’t joined the Keystone Cruisers just yet (still trying to get cars registered and inspected and empty moving boxes), but did want to say hi. We just moved to Pittsburgh from the DC area, after taking the 100 and our three kids on a year-long trip (
(Spanish Pyrenees pic below)
Looking forward to meeting some people in the area!
IMG_1274.jpeg

Wow, sounds like an awesome trip! Do you have more details?
We’re @five.overland on Instagram—posts are only about 15% Land Cruiser related; food and scenery kind of took over 😂.

Welcome man, nice looking rig. Sounds like it must have been awesome. Just followed you over there.

What's going on everyone, a forum member referred me to this group. Hoping to learn from guys. here's a picture of my LC200 in the making. Needs a lot of work, but I'm willing to put in the time.

View attachment 3569190
Good grief, the club is falling into depravity!
Nice rig, I also wheel and drive a 200. Look forward to meeting you on the trail in the near future!

Good grief, the club is falling into depravity!
Nice rig, I also wheel and drive a 200. Look forward to meeting you on the trail in the near future!
Dont forget the blasphemy!! Heathens all of them.

Hey all! Moved to central PA area (State College) from WA state. I joined TLCA and found this club through the clubs page. I've had a 2000 LC for a few years. Figured I'd post up here to try and connect with some folks in the area. I also have a 74 FJ40 that was a recent barn find that I'm trying to rehabilitate :nailbiting:

IMG_0832.jpeg

Hey all! Moved to central PA area (State College) from WA state. I joined TLCA and found this club through the clubs page. I've had a 2000 LC for a few years. Figured I'd post up here to try and connect with some folks in the area. I also have a 74 FJ40 that was a recent barn find that I'm trying to rehabilitate :nailbiting:

View attachment 3597274

Welcome! Clean 100 Series, an pictures of the 40?

View attachment 3597274
You've found a wealth of knowledge here. You'll have little problem restoring the 40

Welcome! Clean 100 Series, an pictures of the 40?

Sure! I think the factory color is pollux orange but I can't find the color code by the driver's side door.

I tried going the regular plate option but after the inspection this morning they wouldn't pass it. Even if I put new tires on and fixed the brakes. So I think antique plate is in my future. Anyone have thoughts on going antique plates?

IMG_1741.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom