And so it begins !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
4/23/11 UPDATE!!! WHAT A RIDE THIS PROJECT HAS BEEN!! IT'S RUNNING AS OF THIS DATE AND AM WRAPPING UP THE DETAILS!! THANKS FOR READING THIS THREAD AND ALL THE ENCOURAGING HELP! Hopefully I'll see some of you guys at some events! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0_rU3VzI6g

1992 LC................................... check

5.3L LS................................... check

AA. T-case adapter.................... check

Cam, springs, and goodies......... check

This is my first post here. I'm an old Toyota Mechanic at heart, so guess this is kind of a fitting swap.

Is there a better place to keep this updated, or progress on this swap? I'm going to post pictures and what not.

Wayne

Last edited:
awesome...... now lets see the build or tear down pics and write up lolol

A Toyota mechanic would be putting a 4.7 or a 5.7 in.....or a non-US diesel/manual/part time case w/ pto.

:lol:

Last edited:
Stock 440, 4L60E, 700R4, 4L80E, NV4500?

I'm an EX Toyota mechanic, if that makes a difference. Went to T-10 WAAAAAy back in the day too. I'd say I got my start on Toyota's.

Here's my reason for NOT going with a Toyota motor plain and simple. Actually two.

1. I can't use a factory computer and modify it. (I build racing wire harnesses and calibrate computers, so I'm not afraid of running a stand alone, but WHY?) I only really like Motec and Factory reflash equiptment anyway.

2. Cost. Are you kidding me? For 1500 or so, I have engine, trans, ecu and harness, and I'm making it a plug and play system, and for $100, I can tune my own computer.

I sell the MAP ECU speed density stuff for other Toyota's, but you still have to make the factory ECU happy, and forget that. Not on a swap. I've gotten it to even work on a twin turbo Lexuxs ISF, BUT everything had to be perfect.

I am watching my friend go through more headaches trying to get his v8 in his IS 300 Wagon swap working without a check engine light; and that scarred me. Set it and Forget it. I bet I can even make a 96-97 PASS obdII emissions with a GM v8 in there.

I know I could just use a Mega Squirt, but the GM computer kicks that computers ass. And in the end it still costs ALOT less.

That's my rational anyway. I'm not opposed to doing a Toyota engine swap though. I love the V8's.

Pics will come monday or tuesday. FYI, I'll have a good engine/transmission that has already been rebuilt ready to sell; put it to you this way... even all the BRACKETS AND BOLTS have been re-plated when it was rebuilt. You guys would have been proud...

Last edited:
Now this looks like a cool swap. You sound like you know what you doing !

I'm subscribed !!!

Cant wait for this, please document this good. I'm looking to do this someday.:cheers:

Subscribed -

Interested specifically in what you choose to do with the gauges - if you keep factory cluster, do you need to keep the factory computer? Also interested in tranny shifter/linkage.

Keep us posted!

Hmm, a very valid argument.

Subscribing.

I have also heard good things about the reprograming of the stock LS series ECU, my brother is working on a LS3/480hp for a different car.

I wanted to do a 327 for my '80 but since I just performed a head gasket job with a rebuilt head I am taking a liking to the 1FZ.

Now this is the way to join Mud!!! Welcome!!! Subscribed.

DAY 1

Today actually involved working for money.

:meh:

I did manage to spend more than I make in a day, Dave Ramsey would not approve.

I actually just today stroked the check for the adapter kit. Jim at AA. Like it should be anyway. Call, I want this, pay for it. Parts are in AUS currently. :doh:

Here is a pic of the LC.

Since this is related to this thread, I thought I'd say that I have the engine for sale, fresh rebuild 1500, yeah, 1500 miles, all bolts and fasteners have been re zinc plated, new hoses, hardware, pipes etc. I don't need any of it. No airbox, nothing. The valve cover has also been powder coated. Uh, one of those, spend more money than it's worth things if you ask me. He's even resealed the PS pump and coated the alternator and other accessories. ? :eek:

You can have the transmission, engine, pretty sure I won't need the wire harness, accessories, either. PM me for details.

Back to the swap:
Iron block LS engines galore but I'm wanting an aluminum block. So, I turned down a few. I'm going to weigh the toyota combo against the LS combo with adapter installed to compare. I'm hoping for a big difference.

I suspect I'll be quiet for a few weeks unless someone buys the engine etc. or unless I get my LS powerplant. I'll document everything here when I do it as well as labor hours spent. I figure once I get instructions down, it will go smooth for someone else if they wanted to do this.

Oh, and someone wanted to know what's up with the shift linkage, well, I crawled around under there, and I suspect that I'll just make it. Can't be that hard. I'm thinking, a tweak or two on the ol' bridgeport, and some chromoly tube here and there and whala. (you'll be seeing that alot.) Whala... it should be a "smilie"

LS needs a pressure vent to the radiator, and if I remember correctly, the later model LC radiators had one as well, but mine didn't so I might just weld up a header tank. Other than that, I'm just making an aluminum fan shroud and slapping some electric fans in there and done with that. I'm using all the LS accs, like PS, and A/C. I've made lots of hoses for other stuff, so that shouldn't be an issue. Looks like I need to reseal the steering gearbox. Dang. Don't see any other leaks in the tcase or axles, so I'm happy.
Landcruiser part duex.jpg
Really bad engine pic.jpg

Waynosan - sounds like a cool swap. I'm working on a 6.5 turbo diesel into a 92. When you order that Marks kit from Jim at AA, just pay the money for shipping directly from AUS. I ended up waiting since May for the container to show and it never did. Then I called and ordered it directly shipped from Marks in AUS. The shifter plate didn't show though, and it's still not here...

Buggar.

In my experience with vendors and AUS, it can go either way. Ehh, I guess I felt like gambling. Recently AA had a guy pay for extra shipping directly and he got everything. I'm thinking that is the best way through them. I have ordered lots of parts from that country before and give or take, I've even seen things come in less than a week regular shipping. Order Monday, have it Friday. I was told 3-4 weeks. Which, at my shop, I would probably tell the customer that because I don't want to be stuck out. They gave me the option to pay for expedited shipping to get it here asap. I assume that they order a container of stuff at a time to save on shipping, and that's the "stock order" and mine would be coming on a stock order. I figured, in reality, I found a motor/trans combo, but didn't like it, so I've got another one coming, therefore, it might be even a few weeks before the moons align up anyway with the engine, so I thought paying an extra 350 bucks was a mute point. I use global shipping through BAX or what used to be BAX and I know it doesn't cost that much. But I wanted to support the LC people. For once I'm a customer and not a vendor. :) I just want to pay for it and get it. At my two shops I work at, they don't do land cruiser stuff so for the first time in 15 years, I just want to be a regular guy.
:popcorn:

Waynosan - sounds like a cool swap. I'm working on a 6.5 turbo diesel into a 92. When you order that Marks kit from Jim at AA, just pay the money for shipping directly from AUS. I ended up waiting since May for the container to show and it never did. Then I called and ordered it directly shipped from Marks in AUS. The shifter plate didn't show though, and it's still not here...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom