Intermittent Airbag SRS Warning Light after dead battery (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I did a 2800 mile road trip through Utah, Wyoming, and Colorado in June. My 1997 LX450 did great with no major issues - just one instance of a dead battery caused by a rogue seat heater in my aftermarket Corbeau seats that came on randomly without the switch being in the "on" position. The seat heater was left on for three days while I was parked at the Flaming Gorge Resort while I was fishing the Green River. I'm lucky it didn't do any other damage other than draining the battery. I pulled the fuse from the seat heater so it would not come back on randomly again, got a jump start, and drove all the way to Casper, WY for the next leg of my trip, so the battery was fully recharged. I had no further issues with the battery or other electrical gremlins of any kind while on the road trip.

Upon returning to SoCal, I washed the truck with a pressure washer to remove the thick protective layer of insect carcass that had accumulated on it during the road trip. Immediately after drying the vehicle off, I started it up and was greeted by a flashing airbag / SRS warning light. I've owned my 80 for over a year now, and this is the first time the light has come on. I should also mention that I had a car audio shop install a new sound system just prior to the trip - so they were in the dash when wiring up the system. I know the SRS airbag ECU is mounted under the dash right behind the center console.

I read up on how to clear the DTC through the diagnostic box in the engine bay, and after a few tries, was able to clear the code. I started up the truck, and the airbag light lit up as it normally should for a few seconds, and then went out. I drove a few miles without the light being on, but it eventually started flashing again. Clearing the code several more times hasn't solved the problem. The light always eventually comes back on. What do you think my next step should be?

I'm guessing SRS is probably an area that few would venture to offer advise, for understandable reasons. I have the FSM and EWD's for my vehicle. I checked the connections to the SRS module, and they all seem to be fine. But any deeper investigation is probably way above my head. I'm going to do some searching for a good local automotive electrical shop. But if anyone in SoCal has any recommendations, I'd be appreciative.

I had the same problem and I couldn't figure out how to fix it. I am lucky that our local Toyota dealer has a very experienced Mechanic that I trust. Took it to the dealer and he diagnosed it as the black box under the front of the console, cost me a 1/2 hour labor but was well worth it. Went to junk yard got one for 50.00 and it is now fixed.

Thanks. I am going to source a new SRS airbag ECU. I would like to have the codes read and make sure there isn't anything else wrong with the SRS system. I have had a few people tell me the dealer has some sort of obligation to check the SRS system. But maybe that obligation ended long ago. I haven't found any local mechanics willing to look at the SRS system, so I may have to go to the dealer. I'm willing to pay for the labor, if they will even touch it.

Since you have the FSM, find the diagnostic section for the the SRS and perform the Pre-Check. This will tell you what code(s) set in the system. From there, you may be able to perform some other diagnostic steps or post up here for additional ideas.

Did you use a pressure washer in the engine bay and the undercarriage? Find any water inside the vehilce?

Might have gotten water in a harness or a module.

Another link if you haven't read through it yet:

I was using a pressure washer, but did not open the hood, so did not spray anything in the engine bay directly. I did have to get the windshield and cowl pretty good as there was a lot of bugs on those. It's possible there was a leak, but I can't see any evidence of that when I peeked under the dash. I didn't dig into the wiring at all though, so it's possible there could have been water intrusion.

If the windshield has ever been replaced it's more likely than not to be leaking (but not necessarily the cause of your issue). To check for a leaky windshield
you can remove the kickpanel/sill plates and look for signs of water intrusion. Often the carpets in the front footwells will get wet after a hard rain.

Yes, the windshield has definitely been replaced. I don't know exactly what the "factory" replacement procedure entails, but I am fairly certain they did not follow it because there are some gaps which have been siliconed up. I have not, however, noticed any water intrusion in the front footwells, and the truck sat through a three day downpour in Utah on my recent road trip. Water got in the back hatch area. The quarter panel vents must have been snagged on a trail run because they are bent out a bit and have also been siliconed. But I didn't notice any leaks up front.

Wanted to post an update, and still having issues with the SRS Airbag system. I purchased a known-to-be good used SRS Computer from Death Valley Paul. My truck has been in the shop for a few weeks undergoing some cleaning up of the wiring for accessories, etc. They tried to diagnose and attempted to pull fault codes from the existing SRS computer with Toyota scan tools, however, they were unable to get a connection with my old SRS computer. I told them to go ahead and swap in the other SRS computer I'd purchased, which they did - and they were unable to get a connection with that SRS computer either. Airbag light is still coming on, and blinks steadily. Not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?

Wanted to post an update, and still having issues with the SRS Airbag system. I purchased a known-to-be good used SRS Computer from Death Valley Paul. My truck has been in the shop for a few weeks undergoing some cleaning up of the wiring for accessories, etc. They tried to diagnose and attempted to pull fault codes from the existing SRS computer with Toyota scan tools, however, they were unable to get a connection with my old SRS computer. I told them to go ahead and swap in the other SRS computer I'd purchased, which they did - and they were unable to get a connection with that SRS computer either. Airbag light is still coming on, and blinks steadily. Not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions?
Since you have the FSM, find the diagnostic section for the the SRS and perform the Pre-Check. This will tell you what code(s) set in the system. From there, you may be able to perform some other diagnostic steps or post up here for additional ideas.

ToyotaDon - I want to thank you for encouraging me to stick with the FSM pre-check routine. I almost disregarded this advice because the techs who were working on my truck told me implied it probably wouldn't be worth my time doing it manually since they weren't able to get their Toyota diagnostic tool to connect to the SRS module. Sure enough, when I tried it this weekend with a diagnosis check wire, it did give me a DTC - #31 - which is for the airbag sensor assembly. For a minute there, I was kind of bummed by that being the DTC, since I'd already swapped out my original SRS module for a different one. (One that was thought to be in good working order because it was removed from a fully-functional 80). But maybe I am in the clear... at least I hope so. After clearing the DTC, the light has not yet come back on after several cold starts, and driving the truck all weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom