In search of Roll Bar??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys I recently picked up a 1988 BJ70 FRP from Japan. I'm running into a slight search problem and need some help. I'm trying to locate the rear roll bar to install rear seat belts. Any info would be greatly appreciated whether someone knows someone that has one they are trying to sell or where i maybe able to get my hands on one. I'm currently in Japan but will be back in the US in a few months.

I order to fit the bar you will need to poke holes in the "targa" interior trim panels and fit nutserts in the holes in the steel panel. You will also need to drill through the rear wheel housings and shim the bar with fender washers. You will still need to figure out a way to anchor the loose end of the seat belt to the floor, there is no provision. I believe that the JDM rear seat is further forward than in the markets with the bar but I may be incorrect.
I fitted a bar into my JDM but not for the seatbelts so I have not "solved" all of the retrofit.

I believe that the JDM rear seat is further forward than in the markets with the bar but I may be incorrect.

If my former Spanish 73 is any indication (it had the bar and belts) compared to my JDM 74), you are correct on this. The rear seat is much further forward and the seat bottom is a completely different shape ...

thanks for the info I'm not really sure what the difference will be with it being a JDM model. i know looking thru pictures I've seen the rear bar with mounts for seat belts. I've been doing alot of digging but all i have found is that i can get ahold of all the pieces except the main rear hoop which just happens to be the main piece :( I'm really needing to set up a 3 point shoulder belt so my son can ride in the rear seat with a booster seat.

If my former Spanish 73 is any indication (it had the bar and belts) compared to my JDM 74), you are correct on this. The rear seat is much further forward and the seat bottom is a completely different shape ...

thanks currently the truck doesnt have a rear seat installed that is another part im sourcing at this time. i guess ill have to see how it sits in the truck in comparison by chance would you happen to have any interior pictures sitting around of your cruisers

The retractor and the upper loop mount to the bar. You still need to secure the lower end of the belt to the floor and you need a female buckle. I believe the female buckles are attached to the seat frame and the seat frame has two latches seacuring it to the floor as opposed one only on the JDM configuration.

My 73 had a single latch. I assume it was original but it was a Sept 1986 build, so it could have been changed, but I doubt it.

The two latch recollection could be wrong.

My rear seat is put away and I have not had it in the truck with the bar in place so I do not know if the bar would put the belt in an awkward location, IE too far back for the JDM seat location.

Last edited:
I'm really needing to set up a 3 point shoulder belt so my son can ride in the rear seat with a booster seat.
Depending how large your kid is, you can use a booster seat with a 5 pt harness (i.e. Britax Frontier). This booster seat fastens to the vehicle with just a lap belt. Use upper tether for extra security.

Contact @joekatana

I betcha he has one available. Whether he would ship it or not, I don't know.

Yup I have one on the way......for a 73/74. We did not get many 70 swb with a softop so those rolbars are pink unicorns and as most Cruisers in Europe do NOT come with rear bench nor rear seat belts I will not be able to source that :(

Joe

The retractor and the upper loop mount to the bar. You still need to secure the lower end of the belt to the floor and you need a female buckle. I believe the female buckles are attached to the seat frame and the seat frame has two latches seacuring it to the floor as opposed one only on the JDM configuration.

My 73 had a single latch. I assume it was original but it was a Sept 1986 build, so it could have been changed, but I doubt it.

Isnt it 2 latches for seat belts, single latch no seat belts? Some countries like Australia had seat belts from the inception of the 73-74 but others like Japan didn't get them till later ,86?

thanks guys looks like my best bet will be having custom seat rails put in when i have a roll cage built thanks for all the info guys been a huge help

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom