IH8MUD HQ (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

woody

Staff member
Admin
Threads
Relocated to SW Utah this fall, and part of the plan included space for a shop. Progress is coming along nicely :)

Shop is located on the "lower" grade, about 12' below street level. 40x40, 16' walls, 14' door on the N side, plus a 48" square window at the higher grade. E wall has two 48" square windows and one service door. S wall has one 48" window at "lower" grade plus a service door, and a 48" square window at the high grade. W side (street side) has three 12"h x 48"w windows.

Immediate interior plan includes a small bathroom in the NW corner, and the ceiling portion of that area will be the floor for a small workspace/office (open to the room). The W concrete wall will have a 4 or 6' wide shelf the entire 40' length, allowing for storage and for access to the high windows for ventilation.

No heat planned (it's 45 degrees in January), and with so much of the W side recessed into the dirt, I'm not planning AC either. Guessing a few 110 days in July/August will make me regret that :)

Apron will be 12', I think...balance of the access road/parking will be simple road bed material.

Today included trusses and most of the sheathing...balance of the exterior should be done tomorrow, then it's time to make it look nice outside :) And yes, per the "neighborhood rules", the siding and roof "must" match the house, so it's stucco and tile and matching windows - added some expense, but can't complain with how it will look.
Hideout1.jpg
Hideout2.jpg
Hideout3.jpg
Hideout4.jpg

Awesome! Building from scratch is the best, perfect to get 220V and compressed air lines set up in convenient places. Plans for a lift?

Also, it might be worth checking out public school construction sights, we got an old-school industrial AC unit used for a school portable (but rated for 2000ft) for only $350. It cools my dad's 900ft garage nicely :)

Good thought on the AC source :)

Lift is in the plans...finishing off the inside myself over the coming years, mostly so I can determine the best locations for the air and power.

Someone suggested a thermostatically controlled attic push/pull fan on the N and S gables too...need to research that...or perhaps a few solar-controlled roof fans...just not sure what the best option is (but NOW is the time to decide)

A ceiling fan or 3 is in the plans too, along with LED lighting.

I'm in the process of building a 50' x 74' x 14' high garage. I talked to a guy in Huntsville about LED lighting for it. He suggested going T8's, he said the LED's are not there yet and the T8 is just as efficient, but much cheaper for a high ceiling in a garage.

I'm in the process of building a 50' x 74' x 14' high garage. I talked to a guy in Huntsville about LED lighting for it. He suggested going T8's, he said the LED's are not there yet and the T8 is just as efficient, but much cheaper for a high ceiling in a garage.
good advice, the LED's ARE stupid expensive...

Don't discount the T5's. I used high bay T5's to light up the shop with no regrets.

Build a beam in the attic to support a chain fall or some other type of winch. Good for hauling out engines, or getting big tools/crates off a trailer or out of the back of a pick-up.

Ventilation...shop is 1600 sqft, so one of these (or something similar) should suffice?

http://www.amazon.com/Durabuild-527...qid=1452385363&sr=8-1&keywords=solar+roof+fan

• Ventilates up to 1850 square feet
  • Has a quiet 24 volt motor, powered by an industrial grade 20 watt solar panel that is thermostatically controlled
  • Adjustable commercial grade 20 watt solar panel
  • Limited 5 Year Warranty on Motor - 20 Year Warranty on Solar Panel
  • May qualify for federal and/or local tax rebate

durabuild.png

sheathing is up....Teryx4 has already taken up residence :) Pic is from our main-floor patio, shooting south...plenty of parking too, but it IS a challenge to get trailers down there...next week, roof :)

Hideout5.jpg

Very nice.

I will second the thoughts about getting something in there now to hoist heavy things. A beam in the ceiling that can hold it, a jib crane, or something else entirely. We didn't put any of those things in our shop when we built it, and REALLY wish we had.

In a few years when i build a new shop here in CO, I intend to put in a full overhead crane. Seriously.

Dan

Last edited:
Beautiful spot Woody,very cool. Heather says, just don't move any vehicles while drinking. No question, get the lift as soon as you feel comfortable that the pad has cured enough.

Build a beam in the attic to support a chain fall or some other type of winch. Good for hauling out engines, or getting big tools/crates off a trailer or out of the back of a pick-up.

I second this. Consider placement. I have a beam with two chain falls on trolleys in my shop and use them all the time. The man that built my shop put it about 12' off the back wall (30' X 40' ) Perfect for a bench along the wall and right over an engine bay. I can pull out a drive train and roll it into another bay and lower it on an engine dolly.

If you position the lift so that it works in concert with a chain hoist on the trolley, all the better.

Congrats on the new place and shop, looks to be a place that will serve you well, beautiful.

no 3 phase, past my skill set :)

Starting to plan out exterior outlet locations today and get boxes cut in. 3 outside RV connection points, lights for all 4 exterior walls, water connections, etc.

Yesterday was spent cleaning...nails nails and more nails! Can't count the number I picked up...swept up most of the interior too.

sheathing is up....Teryx4 has already taken up residence :) Pic is from our main-floor patio, shooting south...plenty of parking too, but it IS a challenge to get trailers down there...next week, roof :)

View attachment 1188804
Nice creekside view there.

:cheers:

Now that's a proper man cave!

no 3 phase, past my skill set :)

If you have a separate electrical service/meter for your shop, ask your utility provider if 3 phase is available (however, you may be too far into the construction to consider this). If you are feeding it with a sub-panel from your house, this is not an option (assuming you house is single phase).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom