Builds I need to practice my diesel swap skills. So I will. (FJ-60 getting a 12HT) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My 13BT with a straight 2 1/2 pipe was too loud for my taste.

I pulled my stock 2 1/4" pipe off about 3 foot down stream of the turbo. Not much louder that with the muffler hooked up. Gonna start with a straight pipe...can always add a muffler if need be.

My 13BT with a straight 2 1/2 pipe was too loud for my taste.

I pulled my stock 2 1/4" pipe off about 3 foot down stream of the turbo. Not much louder that with the muffler hooked up. Gonna start with a straight pipe...can always add a muffler if need be.

Exhausts are funny things. The 12HT with only a down pipe sounded almost exactly like it sounds with a 2 1/2" glass pack exhaust. The 3B-T was about the same--no real change when we put the exhaust with a muffler on it.

My 2LT-E I liked the sound much better with a straight pipe..... except for a few select hills. Where the exhaust would set up a resonance at exactly the speed the truck would go up the hill, and it would make you feel like your head was going to explode. It now has a muffler for exactly that reason.

I don't hear the mufflers cutting out too much of the turbo whine (which is what I like to hear anyway), so I always put on a nice, quality straight through muffler.

Dan

I ended up using a Solo Performance Stainless 3 inch resonator that I took off of my SRT8 Challenger (there were two of them, one for each bank of the 6.1 Hemi). It took "the edge" off of the exhaust note and barely effected the boost profile. the idle is much quieter as well.

I ended up using a Solo Performance Stainless 3 inch resonator that I took off of my SRT8 Challenger (there were two of them, one for each bank of the 6.1 Hemi). It took "the edge" off of the exhaust note and barely effected the boost profile. the idle is much quieter as well.

Sounds like we need to get yours and ours together so I can listen to the difference.

That's something I've considered every time I've put on a muffler, but haven't yet tried it. I definitely dig the idea, for my next one (which will be 1HZ/Turbo).

Dan

Mine is at the body shop right now getting a refresh. It is a couple weeks away from completion. Any time after it comes home.

Mine is at the body shop right now getting a refresh. It is a couple weeks away from completion. Any time after it comes home.

Haha! Look out! We'll definitely have to coordinate that.

(the next thing Dad wants to do with his 60 is repaint it)

Dan

Haha! Look out! We'll definitely have to coordinate that.

(the next thing Dad wants to do with his 60 is repaint it)

Dan

...and just like that Dad is busy sanding, priming, sanding....

I am guessing it'll be coming to Cruise Moab in multicolor primer, but the bodywork is looking absolutely fantastic so far.

Soon enough it'll look as clean as it drives!

Dan

Dad says it's ready for paint....

ready for paint.jpeg

Looks good, doesn't it?

Dan

I assume it's rust free? I'd pull the doors and windows, made the mistake of not and I'm paying for it now.

I assume it's rust free? I'd pull the doors and windows, made the mistake of not and I'm paying for it now.

Pretty much. The only real rust on the truck was under the battery (fixed).

It's going to paint, and the body shop will pull the windows and such and will fix any rust they find.

Dan

Who's gonna paint it?

Well, two weeks was a tad optimistic.....

But it's back from paint!

Epic day of wrenching, for sure. You see, we were going to leave for Cruise Moab today.

But then, the 60 was taking too long at the painters, so we were going to bag the 60 and just take Dad's 40.

...but I figured, let's see how this plays out before we make any hasty decisions. Well, today at 4PM we picked up the 60 from the paint shop!!!!!!

repaint 1.jpg

repaint 2.jpg

It's not color sanded yet, but will let the paint cure while we take it to Moab, and then the paint shop will do that next week. Either way it looks incredible.

So, with all of that done, we drove it home, and Dad and I hurriedly put it all back together. No more bungee cords holding the doors shut for me!

So, we're hitting the road early tomorrow (in about 5 hours) and will caravan up to Moab with this and Dad's 40. Should be a fun drive, at least once we stop and get a new CB antenna. ;)

No pics of it all back together, because it's dark out. But it looks great.

Oh, and Lars: you can like these posts!

Come say hello if you are coming to CM!

Dan

I love me some E-Hill. Looks fantastic, though you don't really need all those fuel cans any more.

That looks great!

I love me some E-Hill. Looks fantastic, though you don't really need all those fuel cans any more.

You aren't kidding.

Both the 40 and the 60's fuel gauges finally came off the "Full" mark as we aired the tires back up at the end of the day.

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom