Builds I need to practice my diesel swap skills. So I will. (FJ-60 getting a 12HT) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Love your father's s***-eating grin.

:lol:

s***-eating grin, you say?
la sal 3.jpg

Today we decided to take it easy in camp, and then take a drive over La Sal pass, at least as far as we could before the snow stopped us.
Turns out, we got to about 9,500 feet or so, and we went maybe 50 feet farther than any other tracks, just because we could. ;)
la sal 1.jpg

la sal 2.jpg

Tomorrow is another pretty easy day doing fins 'n things. Having an absolute ball this week.

Dan

Nice country, great photo's, cool Toyota:)

Why thank you sir!

Here's 4 more from today (Fins 'N Things)

cm1.jpg

Here's the 60 with the Blue-Jay-40 in the background (also in the sig line--if you aren't familiar)
cm2.jpg

How about some Kenny's Climb? Super easy for the 12HT.
cm3.jpg
cm4.jpg

After running Fins 'N Things, we decided to head towards home. Mom and Dad took the 40 (and the Tacoma) and stopped at their cabin in Southern Colorado for the night, and I pressed on home in the 60. That way I can get some work done on my 60 in the morning, before I have to head to work. ;)

I'm motivated to get mine done now!

Dan

Middle photo, did the rear of the 60 hit the ground?

Yep. It's a pretty long truck, so the rear scrapes occasionally. That's why it's got the nice fourrunner rear bumper https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj60-62-rear-bumper-kits.343628/.

Works well!
scrape 1.jpg

Even scraped the rearmost edge of the gas can holder and spare tire--without damage more than the scrape on the paint.

scrape 2.jpg

PS. The 40 looks a picture!

Thank you. It's got it's own thread, and a couple years ago a magazine cover. But yes, it's a seriously picturesque truck (and a fantastic drive too). The 60 is a little faster and cooler running, but only on the longest, steepest of hills around here. Other than that, the 40 scoots down the highway beautifully at 65mph (generally the speed limit on highways near us).

Dan

The 60 came up well, have you had any throttle problems with the 12ht? have read they can be a little touchy when mounted behind a manual gearbox?

Not really.

Seems less twitchy than my 2LT-E, frankly. Dad used the hand throttle for some of it, but he said it wasn't bad at all. The problem is when the engine gets to lugging (like creeping in 2nd or 3rd gear) apparently.

Dan

I saw you both drive by at the Slick Rock campground on Thursday. I was busy and didn't get a chance to swing by and drool over them, though. Both rigs look great! Nice job! If you would have done Fins N Things a day earlier, we would have been in the same group and I could have drooled over them all day!

:cheers:

I just came in my pants...

Today, just getting ready to head out for a week of wheeling, and we dechromed it. One of the chrome wipers had come off somehow on the drive up to CO, so we had to replace it somehow. My parts pusher said the chrome was no longer available, so the dechrome was an easy choice.

dechromed.jpg

I like it much better now.

Dan

I'm at my cabin, reading a book.
It's getting cold out, below freezing.
I start to think about glow screens, and manual override, since the truck left in the woods is freezing.
I Google glow screen. I find this thread. Put away book. Read this thead on my phone, a story of a father and son that really pays attention to detail.
Wow. Nice swap, I love the sidetracks, and how you let the paint cure during moab.
And respect for taking the time to do the wiring right, i admire that! Cheers from Norway!

I'm at my cabin, reading a book.
It's getting cold out, below freezing.
I start to think about glow screens, and manual override, since the truck left in the woods is freezing.
I Google glow screen. I find this thread. Put away book. Read this thead on my phone, a story of a father and son that really pays attention to detail.
Wow. Nice swap, I love the sidetracks, and how you let the paint cure during moab.
And respect for taking the time to do the wiring right, i admire that!

Glad you could get a good read! I will have more pics of it posted soon. We're out on the road right now with it. LOVING it.

Cheers from Norway!

Cheers from Northern New Mexico!!!

Dan

Great read, do you still have this truck? Any changes since last post?

Cheers

Great read, do you still have this truck? Any changes since last post?

Cheers

We do!

It has developed a little electrical gremlin, but I’ll get under the Dash this week and next to get it sorted (headlight issue).

It’s amazing. Still amazing!

Dan

Good to see your name and avitar back on the forum Dan, can we look forward to an update on the 60 wagon with the turbo HZ, sorrry, I can't remember the thread name?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom