Builds I happened upon a 100 Series 4 month build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CB583312-C3B3-4963-A651-60AD032D2F9B.jpeg
2235906B-92E3-4CD4-ABEB-0527DC0CDE11.jpeg
The black paint was looking thirsty and a little rainbowed. I gave her a Dawn bath, clay bar, light compound, polish and wax. It still needs another coat of wax. Again the Meguires Ultimate products are awesome.

In other news, I put a Gibson cat back exhaust on our 4Runner and did a complete tune up, belt / pulleys, valve cover gasket change to my Sis in law’s 2004 Expedition.
The Toyota is twice as easy.

View attachment 1861359 View attachment 1861360 The black paint was looking thirsty and a little rainbowed. I gave her a Dawn bath, clay bar, light compound, polish and wax. It still needs another coat of wax. Again the Meguires Ultimate products are awesome.

In other news, I put a Gibson cat back exhaust on our 4Runner and did a complete tune up, belt / pulleys, valve cover gasket change to my Sis in law’s 2004 Expedition.
The Toyota is twice as easy.

Looks great! Next time instead of using Dawn to strip wax go to Wal Mart and purchase Purple Power Vehicle and Boat Wash. It is $8 for a gallon and works lots better than Dawn. It strips old wax, road grime and traffic film and makes the paint super clean before you claybar.

Never thought of that. I run regular purple power power through my parts washer and to clean greasy parts underneath.

After a few hours over the last couple of days I finally got Techstream running through my 64 bit laptop. I started playing with it but had to leave due to our annual Christmas Eve Eve oyster fest with some extended family.

Hopefully, I can get this headlight electrical issue sorted out.

5E540D38-C358-4B91-9875-EB8EEEACD64C.jpeg

It has been a while since I posted and I have been busy...

In order to not confuse the two vehicles, I am starting a separate thread for the LX470.

I will continue to update this one if I do anything out of the routine to the Land Cruiser.

Well, not much has happened with the old LC. She is running great and now has 190k miles.

the leaky Evaporator Core was getting worse and we were filling up with Freon every couple of months so on Sunday I knocked it out.

I bought everything to replace the whole system but decided to just replace the Evap Core and Dryer since I have everything to vacuum down and refill the system at home.

While doing this I also replaced the evap core housing cover with the cover that allows for the cabin filters.
C7200FD1-535D-4705-9496-8C3EEF082213.jpeg

The Cabin Filter addition items and new bottom seal for the housing (keeps those drips off the passenger's feet).
9A2B6F90-8A30-4DA0-86E7-D6D723FB3445.jpeg

Here is the old one. The green slimy looking spot is where the leak is. I figured it would be down where all the crud was.
606B9946-ED2D-48CD-B2F8-EA5577C41920.jpeg

Look at all that nastiness.
2BCF74BE-C69D-40C6-B5DB-73A485E96B11.jpeg

I vacuumed the solids out then I sprayed some carpet cleaner in (for foaming action) and let it sit. Came back with water to rinse it down, then wiped it down. I also ran some weed wacker string down the hole and spun it to insure it was clean.
65EB3C5D-353E-4EDF-B1A2-0E18FF04C8E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Used a new Expansion Valve and rewrapped the old body dough around it. The screws were in good shape so I ran a wire brush over them and used a little anti-seize on the threads and lightly marine greased the shoulders of the bolts.
Filled the Core with 40cc of PAG46 oil.
Cleaned up the plastic tray and the Styrofoam tray.

4E1053CD-ADD2-4EB3-88AF-EAB2C9F4CE16.jpeg

I changed out the dryer but I realize now I didn't take any pics.
I put it all back in with filters and vacuumed down the system for 5 minutes.
It held for roughly 30 minutes while I installed the new Evap Core Cover, door, and filters. I also repaired the relief cut below the glove box during that time.
53E51922-4DE8-4E1D-BA2B-D217A050717E.jpeg

Charged her back up with X2 12 oz cans of Freon and it was blowing 45*. All done.

Last edited:
Used a new Expansion Valve and rewrapped the old body dough around it. The screws were in good shape so I ran a wire brush over them and used a little anti-seize on the threads and lightly marine greased the shoulders of the bolts.
Filled the Core with 40cc of PAG46 oil.
Cleaned up the plastic tray and the Styrofoam tray.

View attachment 2207246
I changed out the dryer but I realize now I didn't take any pics.
I put it all back in with filters and vacuumed down the system for 5 minutes.
It held for roughly 30 minutes while I installed the new Evap Core Cover, door, and filters. I also repaired the relief cut below the glove box during that time.
View attachment 2207247
Charged her back up with X2 12 oz cans of Freon and it was blowing 45*. All done.
Awesome work, great thread! Mines dripping on passenger side, need to fix it at some point.

This weekend I pulled the old Power Steering Hoses and replaced them with generic rubber Transmission Hoses. So far, no leaks.

What size trans hose?

Gates 3/8" and 5/8" transmission hose about 3ft of each

Best price for me was Amazon. Transmission Hose Only.

What's the trick here with the heat gun and the faded plastic? Combination of heat and elbow grease?

What's the trick here with the heat gun and the faded plastic? Combination of heat and elbow grease?
You are melting the plastic slightly which removes the oxidation layer. No elbow grease, just heat.

It's a long time jet ski trick. It doesn't seem to last super long (a few weeks) in that application. I assume the same applied to this one.

You are melting the plastic slightly which removes the oxidation layer. No elbow grease, just heat.

It's a long time jet ski trick. It doesn't seem to last super long (a few weeks) in that application. I assume the same applied to this one.

Yes. It has been about a year and it looks faded again after sitting in the sun in Houston the entire time. I am not sure when it actually faded.

Been a while since any work needed to be done. Earlier in the summer, the AC light would blink occasionally so I figured the AC compressor clutch wasn’t engaging so with roughly 200k miles I decided to replace it. The hose from the Compressor to the Condenser also got pinholes in it so I did those at the same time.

41686FB7-EBC6-4891-943F-4D7D8C692E95.jpeg

4AAAE1EB-FDB4-4E50-B56D-C64FC42230CB.jpeg

So I'm guessing it's a UV dye and you use a blacklight? That's pretty interesting.

About a week ago, we were dropping my dad’s Trailblazer SS off and swapping kids over to the LC and my wife said she heard a noise when she started it up. It started making the noise again right there. I popped the hood and saw the fan wobbling… Fan Bracket. I assume it wasn’t done with the first timing belt job around 100k.
It was wobbling pretty good fellas. While waiting to turn right on red, I felt and heard it lock up once. I didn’t know if we were going to make it home but my wife was driving a chase car (my 3rd Gen 4Runner) so we went for it and got home with no issues. Amazingly, I bought two kits a month prior to do both timing belts (LX470 also) as it was close to time. I got new fan brackets, water pumps, tensioners, timing idlers, heater hoses (in that area), thermostats, serpentine pulleys, tensioner, and belts. All Denso and Koyo parts and Mitsuboshi belts.
E3C60751-9611-450F-9DF9-3B13E5753CA9.jpeg
747D28FD-3663-44AE-9A86-C09618EEF478.jpeg

It wasn’t too bad of a job. Having to remove the AC compressor was my least favorite part.
I also cleaned out the Throttle Body butterfly while I was in there with WD-40 and I toothbrush.
DD60E9B4-C43C-4A64-B61F-B073BFE44BC2.jpeg

All done and back together. I will burp the system over the next couple of days.
D1B3F266-5E4F-41BF-BBBA-6E6F2A2A3BAE.jpeg

Should be good for another 100k miles!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom