How to LS Swap a FJ60 or FJ62. Quick and dirty guide for regular folks wanting to do an engine swap in their driveway. (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Adding a comparison of the 62 and 60 mounts side by side. I needed a new mount and plan build a crossmember. It seems like the 60 mount would be better since it is wider, has more contact with the case, and new holes don’t have to be drilled and tapped. The aftermarket 60 mount does hit the front out put housing barely. It was clearanced with a hammer.

Whatever floats your boat - I've done several with the 62 mount and drill/tapping the case without issue - it makes the whole conversion a lot easier as it also locates the motor with my motor mount kit, my 4l60 shifter bracket and linkage kits, etc)

I've come across a 6.0L LQ4/4L80 with engine harness and ECU for $550. The seller says it's got 90K miles on the two, but who *really* knows...? Anyway, my real question is I seem to recall for these swaps I wanted to ensure I get the pedal and maybe some other bits to make this swap straightforward, and secondly, is a 4L80 a possible transmission? I don't recall anything but the 4L60/4L65 in the documentation I've been reading. If I need several more parts from a donor to make this swap feasible without some major headaches, I'll just find a complete donor vehicle and ignore these engine pull outs.

THe 4L80 is bigger but I know someone that put one in a 55 with their LS swap. I think the big downside of the 80 vs 60/65 is the gear ratios. More of a car/street setup than a truck/off road. The 60/65 has a lower 1st and higher OD. Is it DBW? Also, you can get the miles out of the ECU with some programs, especially HPTuners.

I've come across a 6.0L LQ4/4L80 with engine harness and ECU for $550. The seller says it's got 90K miles on the two, but who *really* knows...? Anyway, my real question is I seem to recall for these swaps I wanted to ensure I get the pedal and maybe some other bits to make this swap straightforward, and secondly, is a 4L80 a possible transmission? I don't recall anything but the 4L60/4L65 in the documentation I've been reading. If I need several more parts from a donor to make this swap feasible without some major headaches, I'll just find a complete donor vehicle and ignore these engine pull outs.
@Megadoomer is right on the ratios on the 4l80. The other thing on the 4L80 is that youll need to make some kind of mount for your Tcase shifter. The benefit though is that it is WAY stronger and can handle some real power. IF you can get a motor and trans for $550 i wouldnt even blink at that hah thats a no brainer purchase for a 6.0 even without the trans.

as far as the pedal, if its DBW, youll need the pedal and tac module, if its DBC you can use aftermarket pedals

THe 4L80 is bigger but I know someone that put one in a 55 with their LS swap. I think the big downside of the 80 vs 60/65 is the gear ratios. More of a car/street setup than a truck/off road. The 60/65 has a lower 1st and higher OD. Is it DBW? Also, you can get the miles out of the ECU with some programs, especially HPTuners.
I don't know if it's DBW, but if the transmission isn't really what I'm looking for here I'll just move on and get the right package to start with...thanks!

I've done it.... more to it like the adapter puts the front drive shaft almost touching the transmission I had a custom spacer machined also need a second speed sensor in the back half of the transmission along with a reluctor ring installed in the transmission 4x4 shifter is fun too.

@Megadoomer is right on the ratios on the 4l80. The other thing on the 4L80 is that youll need to make some kind of mount for your Tcase shifter. The benefit though is that it is WAY stronger and can handle some real power. IF you can get a motor and trans for $550 i wouldnt even blink at that hah thats a no brainer purchase for a 6.0 even without the trans.

as far as the pedal, if its DBW, youll need the pedal and tac module, if its DBC you can use aftermarket pedals
Ah, OK, I follow now on the DBW question. So sounds like this is still a maybe option...

I've done it.... more to it like the adapter puts the front drive shaft almost touching the transmission I had a custom spacer machined also need a second speed sensor in the back half of the transmission along with a reluctor ring installed in the transmission 4x4 shifter is fun too.
This is sounding more and more like I want to do a 4L60/65 swap. I've not done one of these swaps yet, so I don't really want to be blazing a new trail on my own here.

Yeah, that's definitely what I was thinking too. More power is always more gooder.

You should have no problem getting someone to trade you a 4l60 and money for the 4l80.

It might be worth going 60/65. Is the 4L80 a 4x4? That will be a non starter too, if not. I am curious if HPtuners will be able to swap over to control a 60/65. Not that sure how it works.

The 4l80 is a much stronger transmission but the 4l60/65/70 is a much easier swap…and are not a problem if its a fresh transmission
Also as stated the 4l60 gear spread is better suited to a land cruiser

I would buy that now and ask questions later. For a lq4 anyway. Pull the heads and inspect the cylinders visually after you get it. I'd probably also pull the pistons and inspect all the rings. As far as 4l80e, think that over after you buy it. Pull the plugs and look in the holes before you buy it for any obvious damage.

Dude at very least, buy that motor and trans, and turn around and flip it. You could still give a screaming good deal to someone and still make your money back plus a few hundred bucks haha

Im gathering parts currently to do LS Swap #2 for a buddy of mine here in town. His 60 is in paint right now, but weve acquired a low mileage LQ4 6.0 with a NV4500 and have already started ordering parts. We'll be doing an in tank fuel pump, Stage 2 cam, timing chain, valvesprings and seats, pushrods etc. Already ordered a radiator, and a host of other parts. Will add all of it to this thread and fill in some missing holes in the thread so its much more detailed. Right now its just 4l60e and in line fuel pump, so i know those two things will for sure be added. If theres anything else anyone would like to have added, feel free to shoot me a pm

Im gathering parts currently to do LS Swap #2 for a buddy of mine here in town. His 60 is in paint right now, but weve acquired a low mileage LQ4 6.0 with a NV4500 and have already started ordering parts. We'll be doing an in tank fuel pump, Stage 2 cam, timing chain, valvesprings and seats, pushrods etc. Already ordered a radiator, and a host of other parts. Will add all of it to this thread and fill in some missing holes in the thread so its much more detailed. Right now its just 4l60e and in line fuel pump, so i know those two things will for sure be added. If theres anything else anyone would like to have added, feel free to shoot me a pm
That setup right there is my dream, so full parts list and detail would be fully appreciated!

To be honest the hardest part I am having now is securing a motor that is trustworthy. Suggestions? FB marketplace is filled with sketchy junkyards

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom