How To: HID+Projector Retrofit on a 100 Series. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I was worried about baking my head lights too to paint them, but let me assure you that there is little risk in doing them.

I been looking around for a cheap used headlight on eBay for practice or if its in better shape than mine, I can just swap it after retrofitting. LC is wife's vehicle, so "you cant drive for a few days because I just broke the headlight" isnt going to work ;)

Appreciate the encouragement!

@spaber05 - that looks OEM! Please share cost and time to complete details! Would it be different for an '03?

OEM is exactly what I was going for. I don't think that painted housings would have looked good on an otherwise stock looking vehicle. I dropped the truck off on a Monday night and had it back by Wednesday night. This is his second job so he basically just does this type of work around his other 9-5 time frame.

Being that I added LED blinkers and the LED strip for DRL's, it was about $1200 out the door but if you just wanted to run your standard halogen blinker bulbs and make the fogs your DRL's then you could get out of there for less. I have zero regrets about going with the quad set up over the traditional dual projector, so much (properly aimed) light output!

Hey guys, I'll bump this with the completion of my quad-projector retro for my '06. D2S's in the high/low beam spot, Mini H1's in the highs. LED strip along the outside of the high beam reflector housing that also function as indicators. LED bulbs in the signals (not 100% sold on those but happy for now). Overall, incredibly happy with how much light these things put out.

Low's only:
20150930_205839_zpspkacrvvw.jpg

High and low both:
20150930_210153_zpsykpwsd2u.jpg

DRL's only (on whenever ignition is on, OEM setting)
20150930_210112_zpsova4rhus.jpg

Before you ask, no I did not attempt this myself, I had it done by Dan at RIHIDS in Woonsocket Rhode Island. Nice guy, does great work and would recommend to anyone in the area (or elsewhere for that matter) looking to have more light.

Just ordered a set like yours @RIHIDS. looks great. Thanks for posting.

Got some cutoff pics: Couldn't find a white wall close enough so here's what we've got.

DSC_0014_zpscfi2mcf9.jpg

Pic came out a little yellower than in reality, but still a good shot.

DSC_0018_zpsfddbjgxx.jpg

DSC_0016_zpsl0e5kdjr.jpg

Is this a good cutoff or is there a little adjusting left to do? If anything, I would think that I could twist them a little bit to get the cutoff a little sharper. Are those hot spots above the cutoff acceptable or can they be adjusted out as well?

Input is appreciated.

Awesome! Don't forget to tell Dan I posted up here, maybe he'll give me a break when I go for some retrofitted fogs!

I did - I did send a link to your post/Pictures in this forum, and wrote, "I want it like this" :)
I did buy new headlight housing (Depo) and the set-up like yours. He will then send the final assembled set to me in Vietnam.
Did you get 35 or 55W HID?

I did - I did send a link to your post/Pictures in this forum, and wrote, "I want it like this" :)
I did buy new headlight housing (Depo) and the set-up like yours. He will then send the final assembled set to me in Vietnam.
Did you get 35 or 55W HID?

That's great, at least that'll make it easier on his end. I got the 35W per his recommendation, it sounded like there would be a lot more involved in keeping everything cool with the 55W and I wanted a very reliable system. I have no basis for comparison, but the 35W is very bright compared to most anything on the road.

Thanks for reply - I ordered the 55w - he said the temperature was no problem, I really need all the light I can get on the Vietnamese roads outside the bigger cities. :steer:

Where did you get these? My '07's head lights are starting to fog over and too yellow for liking. This looks AWESOME!

Look further up this thread... 5 to 10 posts up. Spbaber05 mentions the fabricator and the cost.

Where did you get these? My '07's head lights are starting to fog over and too yellow for liking. This looks AWESOME!

I feel like a real trend-setter here!

As Dwight S said, RIHIDS (Danny Ayotte) did the work for both my fig and bjarnep's. A few months down the road from when I got them and I am still very happy. I made some minor height adjustments but other than that they are a night and day difference compared to the old halogens. I love the cutoff and would recommend Danny for any work.

Just tell him Pete with the Land Cruiser sent you, maybe if I send him enough work he'll dish out some free LED rear turn signals (doubt it but it's worth a shot) :) I think if you just send him some of the pics that I posted earlier he'll know what to do.

I feel like a real trend-setter here!

As Dwight S said, RIHIDS (Danny Ayotte) did the work for both my fig and bjarnep's. A few months down the road from when I got them and I am still very happy. I made some minor height adjustments but other than that they are a night and day difference compared to the old halogens. I love the cutoff and would recommend Danny for any work.

Just tell him Pete with the Land Cruiser sent you, maybe if I send him enough work he'll dish out some free LED rear turn signals (doubt it but it's worth a shot) :) I think if you just send him some of the pics that I posted earlier he'll know what to do.

Hey man, thanks!

I'll make sure to tell him, anything to help a fellow cruiser head out : )

Hey everyone, I'm underway on my own projector swap. Here's my question, can the projectors come back off the housing after they've been installed? I read on TRS that once the hex washer is screwed on it 'fuses' to the projector. Is this really true? I got a great deal on someone else's projector swap, but I'd like to take it apart and start fresh in my newer housings. Thoughts appreciated!

Hey everyone, I'm underway on my own projector swap. Here's my question, can the projectors come back off the housing after they've been installed? I read on TRS that once the hex washer is screwed on it 'fuses' to the projector. Is this really true? I got a great deal on someone else's projector swap, but I'd like to take it apart and start fresh in my newer housings. Thoughts appreciated!
It's monday, so just give TRS a call. They will answer any and every question you have.

It's monday, so just give TRS a call. They will answer any and every question you have.
Good advice chatted them up online for a while and I've got my answers. To answer my own question and for anyone else: yes you can remove and reuse for different projects, at worst you'll just need a new hex nut.

@bjarnep can you tell me exactly where the LED tube is mounted? I'm having trouble seeing from the pic but it looks like it might be hidden in the concave on the back side of the front bezel. I'm really on the fence about buying these... and yes, I'm still getting to my install due to a 2 month wait on parts from TRS... I think my box will finally arrive today... hopefully.

@bjarnep can you tell me exactly where the LED tube is mounted? I'm having trouble seeing from the pic but it looks like it might be hidden in the concave on the back side of the front bezel. I'm really on the fence about buying these... and yes, I'm still getting to my install due to a 2 month wait on parts from TRS... I think my box will finally arrive today... hopefully.

I'll attempt to help you out here: If you are looking at your headlights at a slight downward angle (facing them from the front), you'll notice that there is a slight curve along the front of the reflector, which the LED strips follow. They are "plumbed in" from the inboard sides of each light through holes drilled just in front of the edge of the high beam reflector. So while from straight on, they look like a simple "box", there is actually a bit of a convex shape to the top and bottom.

I wouldn't say that they are completely hidden, but they do blend into the curve fairly well and look about as close to OEM as you can get.

I will try to take a better picture with the strip off if you like, but I don't have the truck in front of me at the moment.

Hope this helps!

20150930_205839_zpspkacrvvw.jpg

@spaber05 thanks for the explanation. I think I'm understanding correctly, but it would really help if you could try to show it with the strip un-lit. I'd really appreciate it if you could post a photo of that when you get the chance. Thanks again for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom