HOW TO: Detailed DIY for Remote Start/Alarm/Keyless Entry (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think I looked at getting that harness, but it was not available anywhere. It appeared to be discontinued.

There was a TOY-1 harness that was discontinued.

Amazon.com: "T" Harness for Toyota Applications: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/412-G2buJtL.@@AMEPARAM@@412-G2buJtL

But, assuming the pictures are accurate, it appears to me an 8 pin molex instead of the 12 that you show in your write-up. The TOY-4 harness appears to be the pin layout you describe. Would you be inclined to agree?

Amazon.com: "T" Harness for Toyota Applications: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41gMMMUlIgL.@@AMEPARAM@@41gMMMUlIgL

I realize you can't speak from a position of expertise on the connectors having never seen them in person. Just looking for some insight based on your experience. Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

hey firetruck - thanks for the great writeup! i'm a little confused and have a couple of quick questions regarding the h3 harness.

the wires for the factory harness in positions 3,4,6 & 11 - are those "T" connections? the instructions for my python 1401 have all of those wires being fed into the "flex relay" - is the flex relay within the python ecu, or is it a better idea to feed those wires into another external relay?

thanks!

As I recall, there is a relay onboard the alarm ECU, I did not have to install a relay for this. And yes, the heavy gauge wires 3, 4, 6, 11 "T" into the ignition harness, IIRC.

thank you much!

i took a break from trying to install the alarm due to the weather - i have what i believe to be the 12-pin factory rs3000 male harness sitting in the kick panel area, but i'm having trouble finding the female end to plug it into. am i blind, or missing part of a harness?

I have the same issue. The male 12-pin plug in the kick panel up by the firewall. Do I need to clip the female plug from the RS3000 harness and wire that to the alarm then plug into the male 12-pin I have by the firewall? Oh yeah and if anyone has a T harness from the RS3000 I'm looking for one of those :D In case it matters I have a 95.

I have the same issue. The male 12-pin plug in the kick panel up by the firewall. Do I need to clip the female plug from the RS3000 harness and wire that to the alarm then plug into the male 12-pin I have by the firewall?

Yes, as I recall!:cheers:

i took a break from trying to install the alarm due to the weather - i have what i believe to be the 12-pin factory rs3000 male harness sitting in the kick panel area, but i'm having trouble finding the female end to plug it into. am i blind, or missing part of a harness?

Just to clarify, did you have a factory alarm/RS3000? If so, you should have the harness.

Just to clarify, did you have a factory alarm/RS3000? If so, you should have the harness.

nope, and that's what i'm struggling with. i believe i had the rs3200 that was spliced into the wiring. upon further investigation this past weekend, the white harness i have sitting in the kick panel is only a 10 pin. i have the EWD, so it's only a matter of time before i figure out how it all ties together.

i'm able to get the doors to lock and unlock, using single wires from the chassis to the viper system. i'm sure that will mess with the auto re-lock system though. :meh:

i do appreciate the write up though. i've referred back to this thread numerous times looking for ideas and information that will help me out. :cheers:

Thanks so much for this detailed step by step with instructional photos. Did you know that years later you'd still be consulted as an expert on the subject?

I bought my 96 LX about a month ago and the factory alarm is disabled. So far my insurance hasn't asked any questions when I put it on our policy, but if I put a new stereo in or leave anything in it I sure would like to know the alarm will sound. So I'm thinking about doing this myself but it definitely looks pretty complicated for me. Anyway, thanks for the write-up and if I work up the courage I'll let you know how it goes. :beer:

Thanks for this detailed post, very helpful.

Just finishing up my install of a Viper 5601 in a 1992 Land Cruiser, and for the most part, it went well! Got tripped up on the unlock circuit with the diodes (thought I could do it without the diodes), and then finally added the diodes to the Blue-Yellow and Blue-Orange wires in the driver’s kick panel (these were the colors for me on my car, I recognize they are different than the original list in this original post). The stripe, the cathode side, on the diodes face the alarm side. So now, that works perfectly.

The issue I am running into is with Remote Start. I have done numerous alarm and car stereo installs over the years on my cars, so I am pretty decent at wiring, but this one is throwing me for a loop for some reason.

I followed the original wiring list in this post, with only the following differences:

Viper Wire Toyota Wire
Pink Black/Green

There was no brown in the harness, and this had same behavior. So, I think it is the same, just a different color wire in the Toyota side of the harness, and it shows voltage only when the ignition is on (not in accessory position), so it makes sense to me that it is the same wire/behavior as the Brown wire mentioned in the original post. Everything seems fine with getting ignition signal – the alarm is able to be programmed, and is working fine except for the remote start.

Here is the problem – try to start the car with the remote, and it does not. It flashes the lights either 7 or 8 times, which according to the install manual, means 7 – MTS issue, or 8 – Neutral switch error.

For 8 flashes - The neutral safety switch is ON, and I tested resistance across the switch to prove ON/OFF working as expected. Have tried it in both positions to be 100% sure, but it seems to work just fine….

For 7 flashes, here is what is in the Viper manuals:
• Remote start MTS mode failure
The remote emits a failure notification when trying to enable the manual transmission
mode or the vehicle fails to stay remote started when the key is turned off.
Possible causes are:
• Hood Open (gray wire).
• Foot Brake active (brown wire).
• No Parking Brake input, Black/white neutral safety wire not showing
ground with parking brake set.
• Tachometer is not hooked up or programmed.
• The unit has not been programmed for tachometer mode
• Toggle switch not installed or not in the ON position.

I did change the default programming from MANUAL to AUTOMATIC, as required to make Remote Start work per the Viper instructions. I have left the Tachometer mode in the Virtual Tach mode, as this seems to be the preferred mode…and as such I have NOT hooked up a tach input, as this is not required from what I understand. Hood pin switch and brake light switch are hooked up properly and tested (step on brake, and the car will flash 5 times as the error that brake wire is active).

So, I am stumped. Currently, I get just the 8 flashes after many testing cycles and changing a few things, and then changing them back each time as well. This is so strange, this seems black and white – either the switch is on or off. And it is on. I am considering just cutting the switch out and wiring the circuit open/on all the time just to remove the variable….

Assuming I get back to the 7 flashes – any thoughts? The alarm acts like there is some safety element not correct, as it never even sends a signal down the starter wire – it is waiting for something to be correct before trying to start.

I should mention other than this everything is fine – car starts and drives, and all other alarm functions work great.

I am stumped, open to input for sure!

Thanks!

Just an update - I ended up hard wiring the neutral safety switch so that it was ON with no quesiton. I still get the 8 flashes, which means that the switch is not on. I am starting to think that the alarm module or circuit board is bad - any thoughts?

I'm sorry, but I really don't have much input on this. My initial trouble shooting to get mine up and running, has faded from my memory...

Hi guys - I'm trying to wire up my Viper 5906V, and the remote start is giving me fits.
Where it stands:
1. I've got the main 6 wire connector wired up, and 4 sensors in place (shock, glass break, tilt, and RF field).
2. I've got the antenna/valet button mounted to the windshield behind my rearview, and siren under the hood.
3. Power door lock/unlock on arm/disarm works as expected, and though my sensors could use a little more calibration to be perfect, they're working too.
4. Hood switch is in place but not wired into the harness yet - since it's armed when open, I figure that's fine for testing.
5. I haven't wired up any of the inputs/outputs on the 24 pin alarm harness yet (including the door sensors).

Now the problems start:

I followed the spreadsheet earlier in this thread, however there's no "brown" in my ignition connector/harness. I see references to a black/green on here in place of brown, however I don't have a black/green either. There's a small green/black (green with black stripe) which I attempted to tap into, however that didn't seem to accomplish anything (connecting the red wire from the alarm heavy gauge harness).

I attempted to tap the alarm harness red (really more of a dark pink on the 5906v) into the black/red line, and when I crank, the starter cuts out and makes a horrible noise. Gears grinding.

I'm at a loss - any suggestions?

Thanks!

Did all the steps.
Ready to hook wires from truck to wires from Viper and run into this.
Does not match!
Not sure what to do.

Bump. I have the stuff to tackle this job but have been putting it off.

Hornd, you will need to look at the EWD for your truck. The original write-up was for a 96 LX, which has some differences. Between the EWD and the info I posted, hopefully you can reconcile how to connect to that connector. I don't have my LX anymore, so I can't be much more help. Hopefully someone who has done it to an LC will chime in.

The good news is I removed the entire alarm harness and hooked all plugs back up and it started fine.
Might be going to the local car install place for $80-120 to get installed. I will install the relay, alarm brain, sensors, valet, etc and see what price they give me.

I know the OP doesn't have any info on a 97 but I thought I would revive the thread and hopefully shed some light on the differences. I am currently installing a viper remote start/alarm into my 97 land cruiser that does have the factory alarm. So far I have found that my RS3000 harness doesn't have the 12 pin main connector. It did have the T connector for the ignition so that was a pretty easy one to tap into. There are a couple of smaller connectors that connect in the cavity that leads to the wiring for the drivers door. None of the wires for the locks/windows/dome lights, etc match the 96 EWD. It looks like I will have to have a shop finish what I have started but will post my findings to hopefully help out someone with a 97 in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom