How fast can I put it back on the road..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Almost made the mistake of giving up on my 40 and letting it go. After posting it on here for trade and while putting an ad on craigslist for the small mountain of parts I have assembled to rebuild it I came to the realization that I was about to life long regrettable decision.

While I will not be able to build the rig to the standards I originally planned, given the stage of life my family is in, I would still rather drive my 40 with no doors and the bikini top through the middle of winter than anything else with wheels.

So the plan is now to reassemble this mess as quickly and affordably as possible, spray bomb it and get this thing inspected and on the road again. Drove down to MD this morning and pulled a running F engine with Rkymtnflyfisher to slap in place instead of the one I was rebuilding.

If anyone in the club has a part listed below please let me know as they're all I really know I will need, I'll also add a list of extra parts I won't need in case trading is possible...

Needed:
- 60/40 bench seat (don't care about condition as long as it passes PA inspection it's good enough)
- Seat belts all around (short 74' jump seats not the OEM for the '69)
- Windshield mounted mirrors

Extra parts I can trade:
- '70 F Engine Block (everything from the oil pan up to the pistons plasti-gauged, cleaned, and painted) the engine stand and new gasket kit can go with it too.
- Audi heated leather bucket seats grey.
- Spare F crankshaft
- 3spd Transfer Case and Transmission (transmission needs rebuilt but transfer case is good)
- '69 Windshield very solid but has dented section along the top of the frame
- Many more small items from a '70 just ask if you have something you need

Last edited:
Good luck I'll look throw my stash to see if o have some of the stuff you need.

What generation Audi seats are you looking for? Coming from a VW background I have quite a few resources in that department. Also for what it's worth depending on your location I'd be willing to come lend a hand as I'd love to familiarize myself with the older 40's. I also have an inspection license so I can help in that department as well.

I'm thrilled your keeping the 40! Great idea to just get it going and enjoy it. Lotsa spray bomb paint on my 40, that's for sure! I have inside rear view mirrors certainly will donate one to the project.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

- The Audi seats are up for trade I bought them planning to build a new base for them but to save time I'm just going to try to find OEM bench seats and bases I can put in it.

- Gary I think I have the rear view mirror on that awesome windshield I bought from you but if not I'll let you know.

- If anyone wants to help wrench on it please feel free to call or text me anytime number is 717-203-0161 and be sure to include your beer preference I'm in the Millersville PA area.

Plan for today is to trailer the vehicle back out of the barn I parked it in last year and back to my shop, get the engine out of the back of the truck and start a plan of attack.

I'll also start posting pictures for everyone's enjoyment cause I hope some of you will get a good laugh out of this!

Hey Dave, let me know when you are working on it over the next week. I'd be up for some wrenching on a 40 again!

I have an OEM rear main seal and oil pan gasket and possibly a side cover gasket.

I don't have much other 40 stuff left.

Thanks Andy I shouldn't need any of those gaskets I hope. Planning to work on it all week except Tuesday and Wednesday evenings stop by anytime if you feel in the mood.

Photos of how she sits today:
IMG_3480.JPG
IMG_3484.JPG

Good save!
Hope to see you on the trail soon.
If there is a MIG welder in that shop of yours, keep the Audi seats, you only need to do one at a time...

Get after it!

Well got what i wanted done today. Donor engine and transmission/transfer all reassembled. Really glad I had 2 transfers to pull from this morning, neither one would have made it a week on the road and me snapping bolts wasn't helping. Anyways mounted everything back in the truck and ready for adding manifolds and everything else back on the block tomorrow morning. Ignore the 2 jacks and a hoist getting it in there, it worked and surprisingly that harbor freight hoist didn't buckle. Feels good to see it going back together thats for sure!

Found more parts I need yet:

- Windshield to dash gasket or whatever you want to call that $260 piece of rubber cushion
- Would like to find a passenger side step but if no luck I'll just take off the other side to even it up.
- The dash is a nightmare, I don't even know what all switches are missing if anything but "who it there right mind does this....for a radio?"
- They (PO) also apparently removed the brackets for the hold down screws for the windshield I have one but need one more.

IMG_3495.JPG
IMG_3496.JPG

IMG_3488.JPG

I have a rusted out cowl that may have the window brackets.
if you are just going to run a bikini top and are trying to get it back on the road you don't really need the window seal. I didn't have one for a couple of years. Only started running one when I put a soft top on it.

I have a good WS to cowl gasket and might have the bracket to secure the windshield knobs. Definitely have the gasket and glad to donate to the project! Might also have a running board will have to look.

I have a good WS to cowl gasket and might have the bracket to secure the windshield knobs. Definitely have the gasket and glad to donate to the project! Might also have a running board will have to look.

Wasn't expecting that. Thanks Gary! I'll email you to see when it would suit to stop up.

Got the engine pretty well buttoned up today. Need to pick up a fuel hose and a few nuts for the engine mounting bolts tomorrow morning, fill the fluids and see if I can get her to fire off. So that and priming the front end body parts is the goal tomorrow. Phone was too cold to stay charged enough for progress pictures this afternoon, but I got a picture of the Audi seats for stumpalama this morning. Found a drivers seat that will make it here for $100 so maybe I can get enough out of the audi seats to help...

IMG_3499.JPG

Got farther with the painting then I had planned but the engine still isn't ready to fire at this point, a rusted manifold stud stripped while torquing so its back off with them. I also wasted an hour or two trying to replace the two drain lines around the vent that were plugged shut with paint stripper from the P.O. and another hour trying to figure out how he had the alternator mounted since it's not correct for this motor but I got it rigged enough to run while I send a stock one off to be reman'ed.

Gotta say I actually like this spray paint better than what I thought I would....

IMG_3500.JPG

Those seats are nice! What did you want for them?
If Stump backs out!!
They would dealt classup the 40!!

I had the original when I got it. I looked all over my dads place to see if I could find it. I think I have the pass side but I think my drivers seat went when my uncle sold all his parts. I used some old seats my Dad had setting around.

I will keep my eye out!
I have the parts you don't want! Long jump seats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom