How do I pull the oil pan off the 22r? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just doing the timing chain on my 1989 22r engine. My book says to lift the engine about 1 inch and pull it out. I tried that - no go- lifted it over 2 inches and still no where close. It doesn't even seem like I will be able to lift it high enough to get it out. Does it have to twist out?

It is not a re. I was surprised when I found it last summer at a garage sale with 22r sticker and stock carb.

Thanks

2wd?

I assume it is getting hung up on the oil pickup? You can unbolt it and take them both out together.

If it's 4wd you have to drop the front diff in order to get the oil pan out.

I've done it without dropping the front diff, but it's a hassle. Was able to get it out by lifting the engine as far as possible (it eventually hits the firewall at the heater connections, be careful), then unbolt and drop the pan. Then reach in and unbolt the oil pickup. You can wriggle them out that way. Getting them back in with fresh FIPG on the pan is messy.

Dunno about 2WD, I believe the sump is in the front so who knows.

Thanks KLF and Mudder. Was able to get it out as per your suggestion KLF. It is 2WD but the sump is at the back. Like I said, the shop manual says lift 1" but I jacked it pretty much as far as it could go against the firewall and I just barely got it out. Was thinking the same thing that it could be messy going back together. Maybe apply RVT to block side?

On a 2wd you should be able to unbolt the idler arm and cross brace from the frame for the room you need.

Good luck...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom