How bad is this? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am considering buy this 1981 Land Cruiser Fj40. I have been a Toyota guy all my life but don't know about rust much. Wondering if it would be worth it to buy or should I run? Thanks

IMG_2917.jpeg

IMG_2918.jpeg

IMG_2919.jpeg

The nice thing about a 40 is you can generally see more than 50% of the issues with the body and frame, assuming they haven't been covered by bondo and paint. So what do you think, based on what you saw? It's definitely something that you will have to deal with but maybe not immediately. Of course it's only going to get worse with time.

Unfortunately, there is more there than you can see. If you ever run across a rust free 40 call me, eventually most will have some. 79+ seemed to have worse issues, but if you don't mind it for now you can always fix it later as Greg noted above. If you like what you see and understand it will slowly get worse and the price is right then go for it.

Depends on price. I just purchased a 1980 that's much worse than that just to bomb around in during the summer and use around the property. Easy to fix up over time while driving it.

From the few pictures you showed, that's basically "rust free" in Michigan!!

Buy it!
It will give you the excuse to buy an all aluminum tub to put in your garage and then slowly transfer all the parts over. While you are transferring the stuff you can get an excuse to buy that V8 or was it a R2 Cummins to put into it.

What a ride it will be!

Unfortunately, there is more there than you can see. If you ever run across a rust free 40 call me, eventually most will have some. 79+ seemed to have worse issues, but if you don't mind it for now you can always fix it later as Greg noted above. If you like what you see and understand it will slowly get worse and the price is right then go for it.
He's asking 20, I'm highly considering it for it being mostly OG everything , paint , engine ,

Depends on price. I just purchased a 1980 that's much worse than that just to bomb around in during the summer and use around the property. Easy to fix up over time while driving it.

He is asking 20k ! Let me post some more pictures

He is asking 20k ! Let me post some more pictures

DSC00560.jpeg

DSC00567.jpeg

DSC00523.jpeg

DSC00521.jpeg

DSC00519.jpeg

At a quick cursory glance, without really studying the pictures, or seeing under the mat, that's worth $20k in my book. Would be nice if it had air/ps, but still worth it in my opinion. Probably won't find another 81 in that condition for $20k in the near future. Runs/drives well?

Bear in mind I have no real good sense of value of these things. If you aren't trying to flip it or sell it soon, and you plan on driving it for awhile, it looks like a great truck! You live in Texas, that rust is not going to get worse and make the truck fall apart. Spray some fluid film on the rust spots and drive it for 30 years.

At a quick cursory glance, without really studying the pictures, or seeing under the mat, that's worth $20k in my book. Would be nice if it had air/ps, but still worth it in my opinion. Probably won't find another 81 in that condition for $20k in the near future. Runs/drives well?

Bear in mind I have no real good sense of value of these things. If you aren't trying to flip it or sell it soon, and you plan on driving it for awhile, it looks like a great truck! You live in Texas, that rust is not going to get worse and make the truck fall apart. Spray some fluid film on the rust spots and drive it for 30 years.
Yeah it drive really well, just had a bunch of OEM overhaul done, radiation , fuel pump etc. It's nice. Yeah I plan on driving it! Always been my dream car :) thanks for the response man!

I have seen people pay a lot more for much worse condition. I am a purist so the original condition means a lot. 20K may seem quite a bit but if you are a person who would cherish the vehicle vs. flipping, you will easily be rewarded. The 1981 was had a great driveline and was overall a real nice vehicle. Even had a radio. If I had this presented I would pay it and take care of it. If I drive it as some have said and/or slowly restore it as my passion dictates. One real nice thing is body parts are now becoming really available. Good luck on deciding.

I have seen people pay a lot more for much worse condition. I am a purist so the original condition means a lot. 20K may seem quite a bit but if you are a person who would cherish the vehicle vs. flipping, you will easily be rewarded. The 1981 was had a great driveline and was overall a real nice vehicle. Even had a radio. If I had this presented I would pay it and take care of it. If I drive it as some have said and/or slowly restore it as my passion dictates. One real nice thing is body parts are now becoming really available. Good luck on deciding.
Thank you for that. That put me as ease. I recently graduated college and have wanted one as a kid. I knocked on all the rust areas this time around. It all felt solid.

IMG_2603.jpeg

98398C38-050A-4231-804D-7C2D24721D04.jpeg

IMG_2600.jpeg

IMG_2599.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom