Hood shock conversion writeup (with pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

i did this on my BJ a while back, i used the lighter shocks and found it a little underpowered, i have the insulation removed and am wanting to put damplifier or something on in the future but will probally have to upgrade to the heavier shock. My pin locations on the fender may be different than that of a gasser so that might have something to do with it, SO>>> in hindsight i would have went with the cat launchers even though they seemed like too much push for the hood..

Interesting that this comes back up. Last weekend I was doing work on various vehicles and happened to open the FJ's hood. The stock springs have been removed since sometime last year and I still don't have the gas springs installed. I'm beginning to think that any spring at all is unnecessary. Maybe when I get some sound insulation on the hood I'll change my mind.

Interesting that this comes back up. Last weekend I was doing work on various vehicles and happened to open the FJ's hood. The stock springs have been removed since sometime last year and I still don't have the gas springs installed. I'm beginning to think that any spring at all is unnecessary. Maybe when I get some sound insulation on the hood I'll change my mind.

As long as you have the hood prop no springs are necessary to hold it up. Those stock coil springs just help make lifting a bit easier. The gas shocks mod is designed so that the shocks literally lift the hood themselves once you lift it higher than a few inches and hold it at the max height that the hinges allow.

My 120lb shocks are now getting pretty slow at lifting the hood on their own, I should add. I have extra weight added to the hood in that the stiffeners are filled with Great Stuff, and the underside is lined with Dynamat Xtreme along the stiffeners and Dynamat Hoodliner on the flat areas. This extra weight made a perfect balance for the 120lb shocks when they were new.

I just used the 90lb's from McMaster Carr and they worked like a champ. Thanks for the orignial post and writeup.

I'm next on this one.....I lost the rubber grommet that hold the hood bar in place not to mention that little plastic do dad that holds the bar secure when closing the hood. i keep the hood holder upper thingy bar in the back seat......
I cant wait to do this and throw that damn bar away!!!!
Thanks for this write up!

Oh, and I totally skipped the bench grinder part - I just left the upper spring mount on the truck and drilled it straight out with the 5/16" bit - worked like a charm and saved me a bit of work.

Total job time was like 20 minutes...

I'm next on this one.....I lost the rubber grommet that hold the hood bar in place not to mention that little plastic do dad that holds the bar secure when closing the hood. i keep the hood holder upper thingy bar in the back seat......
I cant wait to do this and throw that damn bar away!!!!
Thanks for this write up!

You can get both the grommet and the plastic clip for very cheap from Toyota. I wouldn't throw the rod away. You may need it to protect your head in the event the shocks get weak, or the hood gets heavy with dynamat, etc.

Just installed the 120lbs over the weekend and they are a little much but I think with some use and some dynamat they should be just right. Thanks Spook.

Karl

A question on the 90 v 120 debate - do the 90s still work in the cold? I know all my gas-struts are a concussion waiting to happen when the temperature drops. Would the 120's reduce / prevent this?

It's only gotten into the 40s where I am but the 90s have been great so far.

A question on the 90 v 120 debate - do the 90s still work in the cold? I know all my gas-struts are a concussion waiting to happen when the temperature drops. Would the 120's reduce / prevent this?

When it's freezing and below, my 120s struggle. They hold the hood up just fine, but they're not strong enough to lift it themselves like when they were new. I need to order a new set actually, since these are the ones I put on originally and I think are getting pretty worn with as much as I've used them.

Still one of my favorite mods that I've done though :D

I've had mine on for about two weeks now and the 120lbs seem to be just perfect. I adjusted my hood so that it no longer hits the passenger wiper. Today is the first morning that we have seen below freezing but I did not have a chance to check how they did, maybe I will get a chance to check tomorrow.

I have a request on where you get the 5/16 ID x 1/2 OD washers 1/8 thick?

I cannot seem to find them, links for them, from anyone?

thx

doug t

I made them.

I have a request on where you get the 5/16 ID x 1/2 OD washers 1/8 thick?

I cannot seem to find them, links for them, from anyone?

thx

doug t

Very cool bro. I like the Dynamat as well......you might know this....I need to replace the back hatch shocks. By anychance these the same part numbers? Or does anyone know what I would need. I imagine this Reid Supply would carry it. I thought the fitting was something you could only get through a Toyota dealer. I priced the shocks and nearly had a heart attack. But this looks as if I could replace them rather reasonably.

So, I just finished doing this and wanted to add my experience to this thread.

I was doing great on the hood until I had the first strut in on the drivers side. Using the same fender holes as show at the beginning of this thread, I got everything snug and tight, and then left the hood open while I brought in the passenger's side bracket after painting it. I went to grab something off the bench and wham, the hood comes down. This is when I snapped the ball joint off the end of the strut attached to the hood. Seems that I had compressed the strut to full before the hood was closed and the last inch was just too much. So, I picked a threaded hole just below and further to the front of the vehicle and drilled it out and tapped it for the strut. Went ahead and used washer for re-inforcement and lock washer and nut on the inside of the fender. So I'm all ready to put the ps bracket on finally when I realize I can't find it......like, literally and hour of searching the garage and the engine bay later, cannot find the damn thing. Great. So, I got some angle iron and with a grinder and a bench grinder, made these:

nmhzg2ngo3.jpg

Then painted and installed:

y797cglqu4.jpg

Now, everything's back together and it works great....a really fun and easy mod (if you don't lose your brackets!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom