Honest opinions...Exped megamat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I need a deal on a duo if anyone has seen a sale recently.

Campman.com has 20% off first purchase when you sign up for their email. I just used it to buy a Nemo Roamer.

REI has 25% off starting today. If you have the REI credit card you will also get 5% dividends back
Thanks for the heads up, I'll use that sale on something else. I ordered a used one from them yesterday for $230, pretty solid deal.

Received our Megamat 10 Regular yesterday (for the wife, REI on sale @ $149), liked it well enough to call REI to order one for me...BUT...they are out of that size and they have no indication when/if they will have it. 😳🆘

EDIT: Found & ordered from Gear Co-op in Costa Mesa, Ca. @ the same $149.👍🎯

Last edited:
Who uses a cot with these and which one? Nothing more comfortable than a Megamat but I think a cot would take it to the next level.

Coleman versions work, too

Who uses a cot with these and which one? Nothing more comfortable than a Megamat but I think a cot would take it to the next level.

I tried it for one night and went back to exped on floor. For me the exped was too wide so it hung over the edge on both sides, and sat too high with the cot under. I also was paranoid about the cot (springs and sharp edges) puncturing the exped from under.

Not sure if they will do it again, but last Black Friday there were multiple places that had it on sale for 50% off. My Megamat Duo LXW was less than 160 shipped from REI. Some places were below 140 but sold out quick.

Only thing I regret is not getting the more durable version that is more for pets, because my dog has put holes in them about 5 times already, mostly from digging his nail into the bed (he’s 120 lbs). I’m on my third one and I have to do the soapy water trick this week to patch it again. I’m at the point where even though Exped is amazing at replacing them with no hassle, I just can’t keep sending them back as they surely have taken a loss on me. I paid half price and already got 2 replacements already, so I’m about to become a patching expert because I don’t want to put them through that again.

With that said, if me and my dog wasn’t so clumsy I would not have any issues. It’s super comfortable, to the point that I sleep on it on the floor over the bed at my moms house. When not leaking, it holds air very well. I used to pump it up once every couple weeks and that was enough. I’d still recommend it even though I keep poking holes in it.

Last edited:

I use Cabella larger black camp cot with the roll out foam 2" matruss, it works great. I slept on it for 12 months one time traveling. Still have it years later and it works great for when we get too many guests. A thousand times better than an air matruss.

this one here

I also have that Exped Air thing so it fits on the passenger side when the rear seat is folded down with the fridge in place, but mostly just for emergency or a long trip with some quick stops on the road.

I've seem alot of people using those ARB single person tents, and they say they are great also.

Last edited:
Soooo...I tried EVERYTHING...bought, returned, made by hand, made by me, etc....never found anyone that made it through the night.......until.....

I broke down and bought the Megamat Duo 15.....holy crap an I happy. After 3 nights I couldnt be more pleased. I'm 6' and 330lbs....nothing has ever come as close as this. Never hit bottom, slept like a log.

Does anyone use a 12 volt air pump with the MegaMat Duol? Especially for deflating?

Definitely no need for that!
I used a cheap little 12V one from Walmart and as someone who inflated and deflated it every night for the better part of the year, it was definitely worth it; although I admit the little air pump is a little bulky and i don't plan on keeping it long term. Eventually i'm going to do what everyone else does and use the on-board air to pump the bed (just gotta figure out a mounting solution for the compressor @grinchy donated!).

It all depends on how often you plan on using it, versus how much the real estate/storage space in your car is worth to you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom