Honest opinions...Exped megamat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just ordered one as well but went through active junky to get 12% cash back from Moosejaw. now am going to have Moosejaw price match REI.

On sale at REI, the giant version is a bit less than $200 to your door (inc. CA sales tax)

On sale at REI, the giant version is a bit less than $200 to your door (inc. CA sales tax)

Yes I know. Moosejaw now has it for $149 like REI. but it’ll be 12% cheaper with the Active Junky cash back on top of the Moosejaw rewards.

have finally had the chance to test mine (on the floor at home). have slept on it 3 nights in a row and no back issues (this is why I got it myself).

Considering purchasing 2 of the LXW models so I can connect them to achieve a queen size sleeping surface. Does anybody have a picture showing them rolled up for transport? Don't want it eating up too much space. Thanks!

31" wide by 11" tall

I have an Exped SynMat 9 LW that I've used for a couple of years and last year I bought an Exped Megamat 10 LXW.
I used it last week and loved it. I normally sleep in my CVT RTT, but on this trip, I had a ground tent. The Megamat has fantastic insulation. I'm 65 and don't particularly care for sleeping on the ground so much, but this mat is fabulous.

We got two of the Thermarest MondoKing XLs a couple years ago and it was a vast improvement over traditional air mattress we had. No more waterbed movement every time someone rolls over and much better insulation. We would "converse" about the proper firmness on the double wide mattress, but with 2 mattresses side by side and a double wide sleeping bag, it's a non-starter.

It's routine for us now to get the tent up and the mattresses unfurled as soon as we get to camp. Then we top off the air manually before heading to bed.

Don't think I updated but i've used it a couple times since purchasing.

Made the right choice to get one. Best sleep i've ever had camping. Can't even feel the other persons movement.
Fully recommend.

Yes I realize this is Exped focussed thread, but anyone try the Nemo Roamer? Given the cost of these things their "limited lifetime warranty" has me questioning the Exped. With any mattress that holds air, it's only a matter of time before a pin hole leak happens or a valve fails.

Yes I realize this is Exped focussed thread, but anyone try the Nemo Roamer? Given the cost of these things their "limited lifetime warranty" has me questioning the Exped. With any mattress that holds air, it's only a matter of time before a pin hole leak happens or a valve fails.

That may be, but there’s a repair kit for a reason and I’m willing to take the risk if it means a good night’s sleep. Considering the alternatives, if this gets a leak at least it isn’t going to just become a flat bag on the ground, there’s still going to be some padding. It will be an uncomfortable night, but I guess that’s the risk you take. For what it’s worth mine has held up pretty well over the last two years and I’ve used it probably 100 times. I also take precautions to make sure it’s not going to be sitting on surfaces which might damage it.

As for other mattresses, I would bet they’re all pretty comparable just go with the one you like the most. I tried a Mondo King 3D and didn’t like the valves on it, which took way too long to deflate the mattress. The one from REI interesting too.

A little late to this thread but pumped to buy it till I saw the space it eats up. That’s almost 3sq ft!

Is it really all that bad though? I tend to take the Marie Kondo outlook; scale back where you can and take what’s needed. Looking at the pictures of some people packed for a trip, it seems they take the opposite approach. My entire camp kitchen, for example, fits in a medium-sized tool bag.

The only areas where I don’t really back off are bedding and most of that space is taken up by blankets and a couple comfy pillows. If I could find nice pillows and blankets which collapsed down to more compact size, I would opt for those, but alas I’ve yet to really see any offerings I liked.

I also can’t stand the idea of going camping where I need to spend a ton of time setting up and tearing down. I’m there to relax, not have a ton of stuff to deal with. Having a camping setup which can be assembled and put away in a total of 5 minutes at either end of my trip is baller.

Exped recently introduced the MegaMat Max "Unapologetic Luxury" to up your sleep game

Yep. That’s going to be a must have for me once it’s available. My old Exped will be retired or sold at that point.

My point was more that these are all 4", ultra plush, ultra comfortable mattresses. I have a 3.5" REI day bed that won't hold air, replaced the valves ($20), then tried to find the pin holes. Turns out lots of pins holes along a seem, and only a few years old. Sad. So if these mattresses are all basically the same comfort (except for this new 6" jam) why not go w/ one that has a long warranty for "when" something happens. Repair kits only go so far. And no, these types of mattresses are not nearly as comfortable w/out air in addition to the foam.

Here's a large cot, not sure the size of that mega mega but this should probably be the biggest out there: Amazon product ASIN B000P6BGYI

I have a Duo XL. My brother slept on it for a week straight when visiting relatives. He prefferred it to the couch.

Set up and tear down is super easy and quick. Its spouse approved....... need I say more?

bought on camp saver for $275

If you’re inflating it multiple days in a row I’d recommend this. Probably not necessary if you’re using it at a stationary base camp or only rarely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom