Honest opinions...Exped megamat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you’re inflating it multiple days in a row I’d recommend this. Probably not necessary if you’re using it at a stationary base camp or only rarely.

I am able to store my MegaMat deployed. I roll it up prior to the trip and then am able to set it out and self-inflate. Then about 4-6 breaths and good. Otherwise the larger scnozzle is was better than the supplied thing a ma jig

Exped Megamat Long-Xwide on sale at REI today - $142. I'd jump on that if you want the Megamat.

I've decided to get the Nemo Roamer, just can't find the Xlong/Xwide in stock anywhere. I like that it packs up smaller and I like the built in tabs that hold 2 of them together to make a queen bed for 2. But still, the Exped is great if you want that.

Exped Megamat Long-Xwide on sale at REI today - $142. I'd jump on that if you want the Megamat.

I've decided to get the Nemo Roamer, just can't find the Xlong/Xwide in stock anywhere. I like that it packs up smaller and I like the built in tabs that hold 2 of them together to make a queen bed for 2. But still, the Exped is great if you want that.
that's a crazy deal. The current deal saves $100, but is nowhere near that good Exped MegaMat Duo 10 LW+ Sleeping Pad | REI Outlet

I got that for the lady. I also talked a couple camping buddies into one. Money very well spent for the aging torso

New to this forum, but not camping. I tried air mattress's, cots...etc for years and always woke up miserable when camping. I injured my back in a car accident years ago and it was driving me to camp less and less. I researched and broke down and spent the money on the exped last summer and its beyond amazing. I slept better at camp on it then in our new simmons beautyrest mattress at home. Nice thing is even the duo packs up way better then our cots did.

I like my megamat 10, but being a bigger guy I’ve always wanted just a little more pad. I intend To purchase this soon and my megamat will be for sale.

An exception to the rule:

I had an exped completely fail on the first night of multi-day bicycle tour in Death Valley. It caused days of sleeping discomfort and bad rest, even amidst the exhaustion of bike touring when I usually sleep great. It was a bad experience. I have not been able to bring myself to buy or use any of their products since.

I had an exped completely fail on the first night of multi-day bicycle tour in Death Valley. It caused days of sleeping discomfort and bad rest, even amidst the exhaustion of bike touring when I usually sleep great. It was a bad experience. I have not been able to bring myself to buy or use any of their products since.

Why did it fail?

@TWILLY This was one of the the ultra lightweight Expeds, right? Not a Megamat? Did you not have a patch kit or was it irreparable?

@TWILLY This was one of the the ultra lightweight Expeds, right? Not a Megamat? Did you not have a patch kit or was it irreparable?

Correct; ultralight--bicycle touring. This was a decade ago, and I don't recall the model. Long linear seam failure; irreparable and a strong argument for foam.

Our first mega mat duo had a defect. Pin hole I assume. It deflated on us the first time we used it. Took it back to rei and exchanged it for a new one. No problems since.

Have a few nights on mine now! I like it but i am not a very particular sleeper, it rolls up freaking huge though!

I use my megamat 10 in conjunction with an extra wide Roll A Cot. There really is no going back for me. Roll a Cot + Megamat=comfortable sleep. It does pack huge tho...the Roll a Cot packs way smaller.

Sorta on topic, but I rigged up this kit in my truck for deflating our Thermarest Mondo King XL mattresses in our RTT.

I've never used the megamat. Although bulkier, I only use the Cabela's Army Cot and related thick pad. I sleep well on that. I would go with the wider cot from Bass Pro if I needed bigger.

Most of my camping is in garages when mechanicing, and the cots were used in a simmilar way in the army here. Put 200 troops in a local hall during a flood response; you'll want cots for that.

We have 3 megamat 10's (1 Duo and 2 singles) and all 3 have been flawless.

If anyone is looking for a 72" x 41" Duo, Campsaver has some for $241 with an extra 20% bringing to under $200. Use code "MARCH".

More than 200 nights on my megamat, I can’t imagine camping without it. Best sleep I’ve ever had camping, better than any hotel bed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom