Honest opinions...Exped megamat (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I used a cheap little 12V one from Walmart and as someone who inflated and deflated it every night for the better part of the year, it was definitely worth it; although I admit the little air pump is a little bulky and i don't plan on keeping it long term. Eventually i'm going to do what everyone else does and use the on-board air to pump the bed (just gotta figure out a mounting solution for the compressor @grinchy donated!).

It all depends on how often you plan on using it, versus how much the real estate/storage space in your car is worth to you.
I suppose it certainly doesn't hurt to have the pump. But I've never had an issue without it. I use mine pretty regularly. Cold weather has been the only issue, but that only affects the foam not expanding properly.

I used a cheap little 12V one from Walmart and as someone who inflated and deflated it every night for the better part of the year, it was definitely worth it; although I admit the little air pump is a little bulky and i don't plan on keeping it long term. Eventually i'm going to do what everyone else does and use the on-board air to pump the bed (just gotta figure out a mounting solution for the compressor @grinchy donated!).

It all depends on how often you plan on using it, versus how much the real estate/storage space in your car is worth to you.

Thanks ! .. We're were breaking down camp and setting up everyday and one of the girls asked for one. Mostly for the deflating. Those pumps are small.

Last edited:
FYI
REI has their own version of a megamat

It's worked fantastically for me and I use it as a spare mattress for guests at home

Have had some great luck with the new Exped Widget. Designed for the Megamat, 10 days into a roadtrip, we’ve liked the ability to pull into camp late and pump up our Duo in just a couple minutes. In addition, if you’ve got a first gen Duo with the small deflate opening, you can use the Widget to deflate simply by putting the intake into the Duo deflate opening. It’s rechargeable and is also a nice LED tent light.
D18F62B3-DFE9-4575-9874-EE49A2BD2078.jpeg

FYI
REI has their own version of a megamat

It's worked fantastically for me and I use it as a spare mattress for guests at home
I bought one of these REI pads instead of a 2nd exped megamat. I promptly returned the REI pad because it was nowhere near the quality and comfort of the exped. Than I bit the bullet and ordered a 2nd megamat.

Have had some great luck with the new Exped Widget. Designed for the Megamat, 10 days into a roadtrip, we’ve liked the ability to pull into camp late and pump up our Duo in just a couple minutes. In addition, if you’ve got a first gen Duo with the small deflate opening, you can use the Widget to deflate simply by putting the intake into the Duo deflate opening. It’s rechargeable and is also a nice LED tent light. View attachment 2719102

Hey thanks for this post!!

When I got it it was so small I thought for sure I would be returning it... but it works and attaches perfect and you can just attach it turn it on and walk away letting it fill up.

In addition, if you’ve got a first gen Duo with the small deflate opening, you can use the Widget to deflate simply by putting the intake into the Duo deflate opening.
I had stopped using my RTT just because bed was too hard. I had tried one trip with my EXPED Megamat and it was acceptable.
Problem is having to deflate daily to move, and then worse trying to inflate while in the tent while kneeling on it. I found WIDGET
on sale yesterday for $37 so it's on it's way.
I dont' understand how you can deflate it by attaching to the intake to deflate it? I'm not at home and here in Tulsa OK there are
no dealers apparently. My mattress is older, so I'm defaulting to it being the earlier version.

I had stopped using my RTT just because bed was too hard. I had tried one trip with my EXPED Megamat and it was acceptable.
Problem is having to deflate daily to move, and then worse trying to inflate while in the tent while kneeling on it. I found WIDGET
I dont' understand how you can deflate it by attaching to the intake to deflate it? I'm not at home and here in Tulsa OK there are
no dealers apparently. My mattress is older, so I'm defaulting to it being the earlier version.

Why would you need to deflate it in a roof top tent? Couldn't you just open the valves and let is squish down and leave it in there?

That widget you need to "continually" hold it's intake against the exped deflate opening.... out you can use a different pump to deflate which is what I do.

Hopefully they come out with a version 2 that can deflate more easily.

This is my deflation pump.

Amazon product ASIN B088NMQJSN

Last edited:
To deflate, you'll hold the air intake of the Widget up to the deflate valve on the right, as Fisher23 said above. Pics for reference. Also, this video from Exped shows the smaller valve mattress I have with the tip to flipout the intake valve silicone valve to speed up as well.

P8150007 (1).jpg

P8150008 (1).jpg

P8150009 (1).jpg

To deflate, you'll hold the air intake of the Widget up to the deflate valve on the right, as Fisher23 said above. Pics for reference. Also, this video from Exped shows the smaller valve mattress I have with the tip to flipout the intake valve silicone valve to speed up as well.

View attachment 2760019

View attachment 2760020

View attachment 2760021
Ok, now I get it. Thanks Just wasn't getting that picture in my head.
BTW, Most roof tents have a max 2.5-3" pad in them. Exped is 4". My tent is a Maggiolina Extreme Small. I can leave a 3" latex foam
pad in there with my thick flannel square bag, but not the EXPED. Once you're in that tent, you're in. It's not a folding style.
And the inflate/deflate valves on the end conflict with the lifting mechanism. So EXPED needs to be deflated. That's not the
issue, its the inflating thats the issue. Hence WIDGET - problem solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom