Builds Homer's 2003 GX470 Build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My gx470 is 15 years old and some of the door window trim was falling apart. I felt that air, dust, and rain could be getting in.

When I’m off-roading in the desert, there are clouds of dust everywhere from my own car or from other cars. So, for me it was functional.

I actually prefer the chrome trim but it was too expensive. This black plastic was betterpriced.

Also, when my windshield was replaced, the windshield trim never fit back the same way. The trim is old and brittle. I’m hoping this new windshield trim helps with wind noise I’m hearing at 65 mph.

Last edited:
I took videos while doing the window mouldings on the doors. It was easy. It took about 30 minutes to do both front and rear doors on both sides.

The videos are super boring. I don't know how to stitch the videos together, so there are in separate files. I'm going to try out some free software to stitch the videos together and put them on my YouTube channel. Update: MP4 Tools lets you split and join mp4 files. Here they are joined for the front and separately for the rear:
Rear door window moulding replacement:
Front door window moulding replacement:

The quarter panel mouldings look much more difficult because you have to remove the inside panels to remove the screw that loosens the quarter window. I estimate the quarter window trim to take at least 2 hours to do it right.

View attachment 1736877 View attachment 1736878 View attachment 1736879 View attachment 1736880 View attachment 1736881

Thanks! Took about two minutes to install my driver’s door mounding after watching your video.

Thanks. I was off work for a few months and took the time to document my build. Unfortunately, I'm going offroading a lot less now that I'm back at work.

Update on my $180 FYO windshield replacement. About 4 months ago (March 2018) I replaced my windshield with a Chinese made Fuyao (FYO). I started a thread on my trials and tribulations of replacing the windshield with either factory glass or aftermarket glass. You can find that thread here: New windshield pros and cons

Anyways, I was hearing and feeling a draft of air coming from the side of the windshield at freeways speeds (65 mph). I finally got a chance to take it back to the windshield shop that installed it. The guys at the shop remembered me. They ran a high pressure air test on the side of the windshield where I could feel the draft and the test was negative (no leaks). They ran the test under the bottom front of the windshield and found a small gap. They sealed it with windshield glue. No charge. All covered under their warranty.

I also had them install the new windshield trim. They guys told me the new trim was not needed, but I told them to install it anyways. I had already purchased it and the old windshield trim was brittle and bulging at the curve on the roof. They installed it for $20 and glued it at the curve to make sure it sticks good.

WindshieldTrim_02.jpg

Last edited:
Somebody started a thread for online part web sites, so I figured I keep my list here so I don't forget. I usually google the part number and find the best online deals. Here's a list of places that I've searched or bought from...

Local Toyota/Lexus dealer (ask for online price matching)
www.MegaZip.net
www.RockAuto.com
www.Amazon.com
www.TrdParts.com
www.eBay.com
www.LexusPartsNow.com
www.ToyotaPartsNow.com
www.DiscountPartsMonster.com
www.PartzNet.com
Camelback Toyota Parts - Genuine OEM Parts - Free Shipping
www.PartSouq.com
www.OEMGenuineParts.com
www.JPGenuine.com (also at Amazon)
www.landcruiserpartsandconsulting.com (Beno formerly at Toyota with legendary CruiserDan)

Update: Added these web sites to the LexusGXOR OEM parts suppliers section: general:oempartssuppliers [GX Offroad]

Last edited:
I’ll try adding it to the wiki. I previously uploaded the mild build primer to the wiki as a document but could not edit the home page to link it and describe it.

If you have an account you should be able to edit any page hmmm

@Vlad the home page has read-only restrictions even when I log in. I can edit other pages, but not the main page.

All: anyone see my post on a question regarding the oil hole on your front skid plate?

My RockSteady aluminum front skid plate came without the hole for oil changes. I can go to RockSteady to add the hole, but they claim it gets hung up on rocks. Anyone has had this problem?

I guess I’m asking if you have a front skid plate, you think the oil hole is necessary and useful?

Last edited:
It turns out that there's enough room on the side of the skid plate to remove the oil filter. So, I'm going to ask RockSteady to drill the hole on my front engine skid plate. They don't add the oil change hole anymore, but they didn't inform me of this and their web site has always shown the front skid plate with an oil change hole. I need to drive down to San Diego to get this done. I hope they open on Saturdays since that's the only day I can drive down there.

The install was easy. I used two full six-packs of Mobil 1 Oil 0w-20 (for my LS460) to prop up the skid plate. The holes aligned perfectly and I installed the skid plate in about 30 minutes. I had to remove the OEM skid plate and the plastic splash guard.

Also, my diff support brackets with the 1" diff spacer clear the skid plate. So, I left my diff drop kit in place.

Skids_Front_05.jpg

Skids_Front_06.jpg

I'm not the first one to do the mouldings. There's a lot of information on the window mouldings in a few other threads. I got the black moulding part numbers from @ScatAdams in this post Best Mod for under $100

I ordered from the same place MegaZip.net and took about two weeks to get the parts. In addition to the mouldings, I ordered the clear tail light lenses and the windshield moulding as well. The prices were higher since ScatAdams posted his prices in the above post.

Moulding, Front Door Belt, Rh, Toyota
75711-60061 US $19.64 1 pc. US $19.64

Moulding, Front Door Belt, Lh, Toyota
75712-60061 US $19.64 1 pc. US $19.64

Moulding, Rear Door Belt, Rh, Toyota
75721-60061 US $24.32 1 pc. US $24.32

Moulding, Rear Door Belt, Lh, Toyota
75722-60061 US $24.30 1 pc. US $24.30

Moulding, Quarter Belt, Lh, Toyota
75670-60050 US $18.97 1 pc. US $18.97

Moulding, Quarter Belt, Rh, Toyota
75660-60050 US $18.97 1 pc. US $18.97

Lens, Rear Combination Lamp, Lh, Toyota
81561-60790 US $118.03 1 pc. US $118.03

Lens, Rear Combination Lamp, Rh, Toyota
81551-60860 US $130.72 1 pc. US $130.72

Moulding, Windshield, Outside Lh, Toyota
75534-60031 US $47.38 1 pc. US $47.38

Moulding, Windshield, Outside Rh, Toyota
75533-60041 US $47.38 1 pc. US $47.38

Just ordered these parts! Thanks for the info!

I’ve been trying to figure out the part numbers for the window, my passenger side is gone. Thanks so much for the part numbers. It helps a lot. So far I’m not very good at finding part numbers and the Lexus place is an hour away and the Toyota dealer doesn’t like to look up Lexus parts!

Here’s a website to add to your list if not there. It’s not an online store but more of a reference for parts. After selecting parts catalog and adding your car, select the linked model code that pops up, and this will take you to a page that you can search by part number or general

www.Toyodiy.com

Last edited:
Cool. I’ve had this problem too of not knowing the actual part name, so couldn’t figure out the part number.

I’ve used rockauto.com and google to search for my car and kinda look for the part name.

Adding skid plates one at a time. Just installed the middle skid plate aka the transmission skid plate

Skids_Middle_01.jpg

4Square_Skids_Middle.jpg

Last edited:
Trying to install the 3rd and last part of my RockSteady Skid Plate full set. This last part is the transfer case bracket to hold the transfer case skid plate in place. Unfortunately, I got stumped!

The transfer case bracket overlaps with the middle leg bracket of the OPOR passenger-side rock slider. So, it looks like the RockSteady transfer case skid plate bracket and the OPOR rock slider middle leg bracket need some modification to fit. Argh!!!

I hate when that happens. Now I have to figure out who can cut and fit both brackets!

RockSteady_TransferCase_Bra.jpg

Stole an Internet pic but this will give you an idea. It’s the slip yoke zerk. Only a few squirts recommended for that one as you don’t want to hydrolock it.

View attachment 1684721
IIRC, there are 6 total for front and rear that IMO should be serviced routinely. May just save you from having to replace the shaft prematurely.
As I lay in bed last night, after greasing my zerks, I remembered this post and looked at it again. Sure enough I had pumped way too much grease into the slip yoke, I had watched the drive shaft separate as I pumped as much grease as I could in there. That's obviously bad. I went down his morning and removed the zerk fitting and grease squirted out. I left it off and drove over some speed bumps fast, and i kept it off for the day while my wife drives it around, to let any more excess pressure out. Glad I remembered this post to not add undue pressure to the transfer case. :/

Also the spider yoke grease resevoires, front and back we're nearly empty. .. .concerning as the Lexus delership reports greasing them 3 months ago. .. .. now I feel I need to check all their other reported work.. .. . Like trans fluid and differential fluid change. .. .. .ugh, maybe they could throw in a new dash?

Last edited:
Went to Baileys Cabin and dented my new skid plates. Great outing. Some 4x4 offroading, a hike, overnight camping at a cabin, and a great bonfire.

SkidPlate_Dent.jpg

GX470_BaileysCabin_01.jpg

GX470_BaileysCabin_02.jpg

GX470_BaileysCabin_03.jpg

Last edited:
Did you get to actually stay in that cabin or camp next to it?

Yeah, we were able to claim the free cabin (first come first served) for two days (one night). We camped inside the cabin. The cabin is small like 12' x 16', but well built. There was an outhouse as well that was rebuilt like 12 years ago (or so). The place is well kept and nobody was around for the two days we were there.

It was cold and windy, so we setup a 10'x10' Coleman tent inside the cabin. There was evidence of rodents, so we decided to put the tent up inside the cabin just to be safer. There was a fire ring and a picnic table outside, plus there's a second picnic table inside the cabin.

It was great to have the place all to ourselves. We felt we were so far from civilization, but we were like 15 miles from a small town.

GX470_BaileysCabin_04.jpg
GX470_BaileysCabin_05.jpg

Ordered new shoes. I'll add a picture once they are installed. Got the Nitto Ridge Grapplers in LT285/70R17 E/10 for $828 taxed and delivered to a local tire shop American Tire Depot. These are the tires I considered, but ended up with the Nitto's due to price, quality, and recommendations.

Tires.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom