Holiday Tree Run (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

pappy

photosynthesizing
Threads
OK, I admit it. I'm excited about this run. So let's start discussion.

Date: Saturday, 13 December 2008

Time: 8AM!

Where to Meet: Meet at the gas station on the south east corner of Hwy 550 and Hwy 528 in Rio Rancho.

Details: This will be our eighth annual run to get Xmas trees in the Jemez Mountains and probably our best attended event. We will obtain tree permits at the Walatowa Visitor Center on the Pueblo of Jemez. Permits have been $10 in the past, bring a saw. Plan on an all day excursion, and if it snows it could be a very long, enjoyable day. Stock vehicles and families are welcome. Participants should come prepared for a cold day in the snow, which can include snow toys for the kids. The adults should bring their own toys (recovery gear) including tools, shovel, straps, shackles, winches, snatch blocks, tire chains, high-lift jacks, and a way to air up your tires at the end of the day. We share, so don't worry about having all this stuff. Vehicle to vehicle communication is important so a CB radio is highly recommend. We have loaner radios if you need one, just let us know ahead of time. Folks should also come prepared to stay in their vehicle over night (food, water, warm sleeping bags). It's never happened, but could. We usually finish the day with dinner in Jemez Springs.

Off-Highway Disclosure Statement - Read it, understand it. See post #7 below.

pappy-albums-high-desert-cruisers-fun-we-have-picture301-tree-run-hell-2007.jpg

Video: Freeing Danny

Last edited:
Amazingly, I have the day off for this for once.

Cool.

I'll bring my usual supply of cigarettes and coffee for adult extraction fun!

-o-

I wouldn't miss it. This can be a lot of fun, but as Jon said, come prepared. We ought to be able to find some pictures of snow runs in years past where jeans got wet in the deep snow, and then froze. The people wearing them were not very comfortable. Some sort of ski pants or snow pants are ideal. Gaiters or high snow boots can come in handy as well. Parkas, gloves, hats, you get the idea.

Having said all that, come on out and have a blast. We will spend the day breaking trail and getting stuck and unstuck. All we need now is some snow in those mountains, but I think we'll be fine by then.

Looking forward to it!

Evan

Amazingly, I have the day off for this for once.

Cool.

I'll bring my usual supply of cigarettes and coffee for adult extraction fun!

-o-

Great - glad you can make it! :bounce:

Warning

we had some discussion at the meeting about this and i'd like to continue it here. we tend to get new and/or inexperienced people on this run and that seems to me to be where many of the unexpected things happen. however, we don't want to scare anyone off, this is 1 of our most fun club runs.

for all that want to attend-
1. this run is not an easy sunday drive. you WILL get stuck! we have had many times when every vehicle on the run are all stuck at the same time. we will be sure that all vehicles get home one way (or one day) or another. vehicles have been left overnight and recovery made the next day.
2. experience in snow is not necessary, but very helpful. be willing to take some advice and learn if you haven't wheeled in it much. it is NOT like driving on deep snowy paved roads.
3. damage to your vehicle is possible. we try to help avoid it at all costs, but it can happen. it has happened in the past. stock vehicles have gotten through with no damage more often than not. but at least 1 vehicle (in 8 years) has had extensive damage (while another stock vehicle on the same run had none).
4. be prepared for cold weather. this means a change of clothes, socks and shoes. warm jacket and snow gear including water proof shoes/boots if possible (the snow is often hip deep). sleeping bags for subfreezing temps. food as if you were camping for 2 days (1day, overnight, and next day). (add to this list)
5. be prepared for a long day. last years run we weren't even in cell phone range until around midnight. we have been back before dark, but more often it's well after dark. tell wives that aren't coming not to get worried until the next morning. nobody will be left behind.

and last be prepared for FUN!!:bounce: i think everyone that has ever come on a tree run has had a blast. some have been a bit worried at times, but it all works out.

and CAN SOMEONE BE SURE TO BRING A CHAINSAW!:flipoff2:

ok feel free to discuss what i've laid out here.

3. damage to your vehicle is possible. we try to help avoid it at all costs, but it can happen. it has happened in the past. stock vehicles have gotten through with no damage more often than not. but at least 1 vehicle (in 8 years) has had extensive damage (while another stock vehicle on the same run had none).

Just so folks that were not on that run understand ... the vehicle that had significant damage was not a Toyota 4x4 ... it was a British Land Rover with a very inexperienced driver. The stone-cold stock 4Runner on the same run had no issues.

Sounds like fun to me. I will try to plan for it. I don't need a tree, but I can pack my chainsaw (or borrow one or two from work) if anyone needs it. Just let me know how many are tree shopping so to speak so I can make sure there are enough chains to cut what is wanted.

Rudy

we had some discussion at the meeting about this and i'd like to continue it here. we tend to get new and/or inexperienced people on this run and that seems to me to be where many of the unexpected things happen. however, we don't want to scare anyone off, this is 1 of our most fun club runs.

for all that want to attend-
1. this run is not an easy sunday drive. you WILL get stuck! we have had many times when every vehicle on the run are all stuck at the same time. we will be sure that all vehicles get home one way (or one day) or another. vehicles have been left overnight and recovery made the next day.
2. experience in snow is not necessary, but very helpful. be willing to take some advice and learn if you haven't wheeled in it much. it is NOT like driving on deep snowy paved roads.
4. be prepared for cold weather. this means a change of clothes, socks and shoes. warm jacket and snow gear including water proof shoes/boots if possible (the snow is often hip deep). sleeping bags for subfreezing temps. food as if you were camping for 2 days (1day, overnight, and next day). (add to this list)
5. be prepared for a long day. last years run we weren't even in cell phone range until around midnight. we have been back before dark, but more often it's well after dark. tell wives that aren't coming not to get worried until the next morning. nobody will be left behind.

and last be prepared for FUN!!:bounce: i think everyone that has ever come on a tree run has had a blast. some have been a bit worried at times, but it all works out.

and CAN SOMEONE BE SURE TO BRING A CHAINSAW!:flipoff2:

Well said Shawn. :cheers:

But I don't care what anyone says....last year's post-xmas tree run recovery operation was fun as heck!

:hillbilly:

ps: CDan--bring Sara's truck this year....you'll have a much better time....and we'll have lots o spares of everything.

But I don't care what anyone says....last year's post-xmas tree run recovery operation was fun as heck!

Yep, best run on record.

I don't need a tree, but I can pack my chainsaw (or borrow one or two from work) if anyone needs it. Just let me know how many are tree shopping so to speak so I can make sure there are enough chains to cut what is wanted.

Rudy

:grinpimp: Rudy, the chainsaw is not for the xmas trees. It's for what gets in the way between us and the trees.
Chop'n away.JPG

Just so folks that were not on that run understand ... the vehicle that had significant damage was not a Toyota 4x4 ... it was a British Land Rover with a very inexperienced driver. The stone-cold stock 4Runner on the same run had no issues.

Hmm, did the LR make it home on its own or did it have to be left overnight? :D

I hope to make this run, assuming I can get home earlier that week.

made it home under its own power. w/ dented door, bent bumper and brush gaurd, broken suspension airbags, damaged rear diff, ripped tire...anything i forgot? we had 2 major extraction operations to get it unstuck.

:grinpimp: Rudy, the chainsaw is not for the xmas trees. It's for what gets in the way between us and the trees.[/QUOTE]

In either case, should I plan on taking some for the run? I have one here at home, and can get more from work and extra chains if needed. I can also take the two-cycle oil also as long as someone has a gas can to mix it.

Rudy, it can't hurt. I think I'll be bringing mine, and I believe Dan is now the owner of a Stihl.

Well, it's not like we leave carnage behind every year. I've been on a half dozen Christmas tree runs, and we've only ever left two vehicles up there overnight. One was a corroded wire, and the other was a simple lack of communication. It just happens both were last year. All the other times we came out with all vehicles that day - errh evening. One year we were all stuck as the sun was going down, but that was later in the year anyway - not a Christmas tree run. There are usually stock vehicles on this run. Best to be prepared though.

If you're going to get stuck in the snow, the time to do it is with all these guys around anyway. It's a "learning experience" as well as a lot of fun.

Well, it's not like we leave carnage behind every year... There are usually stock vehicles on this run. Best to be prepared though.

If you're going to get stuck in the snow, the time to do it is with all these guys around anyway. It's a "learning experience" as well as a lot of fun.

exactly. as i said, i don't want anyone to be scared off, but prepared for "worst case".

1 or 2 chainsaws is plenty. it just sucks chopping a 12" diameter tree by hand.:D that pic says it all.

Pic one. David Lawrence in front of me on the way out. Time stamp: 10:17pm, Saturday.
Pic two. Onur inspecting the very stuck FJC on Sunday. (Ash's camera)
Pic three. The rescue team working on Rory's truck on Sunday. (Ash's camera)
Tree Run 2007l 034.jpg
IMG_4445.jpg
IMG_4466.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom