HJ47 Glow Problems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there are a lot of threads about glow plug issues, I've read a few of them today and they've been very helpful. Just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone has ideas about something I can check before ordering new parts...

I have a HJ47 with a 2H that had been sitting idle for the better part of a year, it hadn't been turned over at all. Today when I tried to start her up she turned over but would not start. The glow light went on as usual for about five seconds, but upon start it just cranked and cranked. I noticed that I couldn't hear the glow relay clicking like it's supposed to, and upon putting a multimeter on the busbar I verified that the relay was not putting any voltage on the glow busbar even though the light on the dash was illuminating. I used a heavy duty wire and manually glowed the plugs from the battery terminal, after which the engine started right up like a dream.

I'm guessing from this experiment that the relay/solenoid in the glow timer may be at fault? Anyone out there have any other ideas of things I should check before ordering another one? I ask because they're not the cheapest things in the world... I uploaded a photo and the glow timer is there on the left, does anyone know what the little box on the right is for? Where is the actual relay that the glow timer energizes?

Photo Dec 11, 4 29 53 PM.jpg

Any help most appreciated. Thanks all!

Posts like these are more likely to be seen by other diesel owners on the Diesel and electrical forum. I think you are on the right track with your problem.

Maybe this will help. I had a similar issue last year:

Starting issues with 2H motor

Thanks for the link, I did read that one already :). I know my plugs are okay because when I manually put voltage on the busbar the glow plugs worked fine. I think it's either the glow controller or the relays but I'm not sure how to figure out which...

Posts like these are more likely to be seen by other diesel owners on the Diesel and electrical forum. I think you are on the right track with your problem.

Thanks roscoFJ73, I posted it there as well as you suggested...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom