Builds Here we go (FJ-40 getting a 3B/Turbo/H55f)... (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

And with that, the tub came off.
tub off 1.jpg
tub off 2.jpg

I actually had two helpers (the chica and my mother), but only one stayed around for a picture.
tub off 3 (with helper).jpg

It would definitely have been easier to remove with 4 people though. The gantry there was very helpful in holding the front while we worked the gas tank over the rear frame rail. NOTE TO SELF: remove gas tank from body next time before removing tub. :)
tub off 1.jpg
tub off 2.jpg
tub off 3 (with helper).jpg

Here's what a big pile of parts looks like.
pile of parts.jpg
It's pretty much EVERYTHING except the tub and frame. I'm amazed at just how quickly it comes apart, and how simple these trucks really are.

And here's some of the rust. You can see that I really didn't need to unbolt one of the rear sill body mounts. Turns out it was for decoration anyway.
rust 1.jpg
rust 2.jpg

I think I need to start shopping for a DS floor pan, and at least a section of the rear floor pan, and without a doubt a sill. Is it easier to buy a sill "kit" (ala 4WD Auto) or just fabricate a new sill?
pile of parts.jpg
rust 1.jpg
rust 2.jpg

And to finish the set off:

Some general pics of the frame and the drivetrain.

Basically, it's in really good shape. I don't see anything other than some light surface rust. That is good news indeed.

Next step is to pull the engine and trans, and get to work transplanting the 3B/H55f into the frame... I'll probably start working on some of that rust in the tub at the same time too.

I'm still searching for a 40 series/5 speed rubber isolator, but I'll hopefully find one quick enough. I *should* have an EDIC relay sourced and arriving soon enough, and other than that I've still got to find a Power Steering pump setup for the 3B.

Dan
frame 1.jpg
frame 2.jpg
frame 3.jpg

Great looking frame, body does not look that bad?

Thinking we have both those items in the shop you are looking for.

Rob

And to finish the set off:

Some general pics of the frame and the drivetrain.

Basically, it's in really good shape. I don't see anything other than some light surface rust. That is good news indeed.

Next step is to pull the engine and trans, and get to work transplanting the 3B/H55f into the frame... I'll probably start working on some of that rust in the tub at the same time too.

I'm still searching for a 40 series/5 speed rubber isolator, but I'll hopefully find one quick enough. I *should* have an EDIC relay sourced and arriving soon enough, and other than that I've still got to find a Power Steering pump setup for the 3B.

Dan

Great looking frame, body does not look that bad?

Thinking we have both those items in the shop you are looking for.

Rob

I'll send an e-mail, I sent one about the isolator, but I'll get ahold of you guys on Monday hopefully and see what we can come up with.

The frame is excellent, no doubt about that. The body isn't TOO bad, but we'll see what else lurks beneath the repaint. The rust in the front floors was completely hidden under the sound deadening, so I suspect a *little* bit more to show up, but really not bad at all.

Compliments to you - your Mom is very pretty!
:lol::lol::lol:

It's good to have help. Makes me curse at PO crap a lot less.

Dan

To the Radd guys: I sent you an inquiry via your webpage (I assume it comes as an e-mail).

To the rest of you: I'm home for a couple of days. Time to get dirty.

Question of the day: do I pull the engine/trans out of the frame now, or do I start scraping the undercoating off of the tub and start tackling the rust.....?

Dan

will be watching this thread with interest,i have an 82 bj 42 with good running gear but totalled body,i got it for parts for my 66 fj 40 with 327 chev,diffs power steering ect,but am just using the diffs out of it now,i have a 76 hj45 with 350 chev and turbo 400 but thinking of pulling its running gear to put in a hj 60 project and putting the 3b and 4 speed into the 45,is this a big job

Real quick, here's a picture of the crossmember we've got for this. You can also see the frame brackets there with it (propped up, but on the outside of the crossmember itself).

This is why I'm "preferring" to stick with the 40 series/5 speed rubber isolator.

Wayne: I think I decided with you. It's going down to the frame, and I might as well start getting it down to the bare frame sooner rather than later....

That, and anything to procrastinate scraping the undercoating off the tub, right? :)

Dan
crossmember.jpg

Nothing *too* big today.

I just disconnected the engine entirely from the truck (motor mounts all loose now, driveshafts pulled, exhaust off, etc...). I didn't pick the motor out, since it's pretty convenient tucked into the frame for the time being, but it's ready.
overall 2.jpg

I also pulled a lot of odds and ends off of the tub. Marker lights, the gas tank, etc....
overall.jpg

On my faux-lux, I just ground two spot welds out of the filler neck to remove the restrictor (the one that keeps you from putting a diesel nozzle into the gas tank). I don't immediately see how to remove it on the 40s fuel filler neck.
filler neck.jpg
Anyone done this before? I'm thinking I might just start cutting away at the restrictor until it gives way, but there's got to be an elegant solution I'm missing at the moment. I guess I could find a BJ-40/42 filler neck, but why not make this one work?

I also drove into town and stocked up on some supplies for the bodywork to come. Specifically, I picked up a sheet metal brake, and some 0.24 wire for the welder, plus a few more clamps.

These are predominantly 20GA right? I'm thinking of ordering a sheet of 20, and of 16 to do this. Whatever doesn't get used on the 40 here (and it won't take much) will be set aside for my 45 (which will use a lot).

Dan
overall.jpg
overall 2.jpg
filler neck.jpg

Pondering:

Would it be a bad idea to locate the motor/transmission assembly forward of the original location? Benefits would be:
  • Shift Lever in the "correct position," without having to find a pricey top cover
  • Driveshafts could be unaltered if done right
  • Less fan shroud to fabricate
  • More room around engine/tub to work
  • Wouldn't have to move the frame corssmember for the parking brake on the T-case

Would that negatively impact weight distribution (I'm guessing not, since the F was that far forward)? What am I missing?

Dan

Did just that a number of years ago on a FJ40, worked out great tons of room turbo exhaust dump not so close to fire wall.

You pretty much answered your own question with all the positives you listed.

Good luck.

Rob

Pondering:

Would it be a bad idea to locate the motor/transmission assembly forward of the original location? Benefits would be:
  • Shift Lever in the "correct position," without having to find a pricey top cover
  • Driveshafts could be unaltered if done right
  • Less fan shroud to fabricate
  • More room around engine/tub to work
  • Wouldn't have to move the frame corssmember for the parking brake on the T-case

Would that negatively impact weight distribution (I'm guessing not, since the F was that far forward)? What am I missing?

Dan

ummm, you will still have to remove the cross member for the ebrake if it is after market...

what makes you think the engien is not located correctly?

i look at the pic and see it positioned properly...

weight distribution:
the tranny right now is located in the same spot as the 2F tranny and the same spot the H55F shoudl be located.
yes, the 2F sat over the front a bit more (about 4") but the majority of the block, tranny/tcase is still in the original location so...
if you shift theengine ahead 3" then you will be relocated the complete mass ahead 3" which will put more strain on the front springs and bearing... enough to matter? probably not but then since you are shifting 1000 lbs ahead 3" maybe it will... who knows?

woudl i do it? probably not since i like the factory look and they had a reason for doing what they did.
should you do it? only you can answer that one.

it will eliminate some of the problems you quoted but what other problems will this bring forth? i guess you will find out.

Rob, was that the truck that headed south and ended up with problems? i

Yep, all the problems were the winch blocking the radiator.

Drove the truck from the island to Alberta and back down too Kali then into south america somewhere and back up to Kali. Then it got stolen.

Rob, was that the truck that headed south and ended up with problems? i[/QUOTE]

hummm, interesting since the number of BJ40/42s that have the old 8274 on them don't have overheating problems (i have owned and driven many)... must have been a fluke...

glad everything worked out...

I wish my truck looked like that underneath...., dude all you needed was an oil spraying
hahaha
probably don't do those around there eh?

I remember my friend saying some people in Fernie asked "why do you have Oil all over the underneath of your truck?" must not be a common thing everywhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom