Help, yes I know search. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ok so I am sure I am going to get lambasted for writing this post without first spending a couple hours searching, but unfortunately I am not all that bright and what could take me a couple hours are probably fairly easy questions for you 200 aficionados.

So I am looking at consolidating a couple cars namely an 80 and an LS, I figured by getting rid of those two and buying a 200 I could kind of have my cake and eat it too.

The problem I am running into is there seems to be a lot more differences in the model years and brands (LX vs LC) than in previous models. For example, I do not see any bumpers listed for the LX570, and the one photo I did see it was a LC bumper on an LX and it was quite ill-fitting.

So question:

1.) What make and model year is most desirable when considering I would want bumpers, and sliders and a high quality lift?
2.) What major changes were there and at what model years? (i.e. new navigation system, better headlights, different transmissions, etc.)
3.) Any major baubles by Toyota/Lexus on the 200 platform?

I know the most obvious answer is always buy the latest model year that you can afford but I prefer to weigh out the changes vs cost and see if it is something that is worthwhile to me.

Thanks for the help!

Picture for attention. lol
image-1673721652-jpg.651151

I know right where that truck is;)

Ok so I am sure I am going to get lambasted for writing this post without first spending a couple hours searching, but unfortunately I am not all that bright and what could take me a couple hours are probably fairly easy questions for you 200 aficionados.

So I am looking at consolidating a couple cars namely an 80 and an LS, I figured by getting rid of those two and buying a 200 I could kind of have my cake and eat it too.

The problem I am running into is there seems to be a lot more differences in the model years and brands (LX vs LC) than in previous models. For example, I do not see any bumpers listed for the LX570, and the one photo I did see it was a LC bumper on an LX and it was quite ill-fitting.

So question:

1.) What make and model year is most desirable when considering I would want bumpers, and sliders and a high quality lift?
2.) What major changes were there and at what model years? (i.e. new navigation system, better headlights, different transmissions, etc.)

I know the most obvious answer is always buy the latest model year that you can afford but I prefer to weigh out the changes vs cost and see if it is something that is worthwhile to me.

Thanks for the help!

Picture for attention. lol
image-1673721652-jpg.651151

There are many options for all those things on all model years. The bumpers for a LX 570 will require more modification as the grill is different. But, there’s plenty on here with ARB bumpers on them. Lift is also currently not really a viable option due to AHC.

Model Year Differences, LC200 + LX570

Not sure what you consider baubles, but crawl control is great, cool box, wireless charging on 16+, etc.

Last edited:
Building an LX is a lot harder, not much aftermarket support. There will be more options in a year or so for armor. If you really want suspension options only the TLC has them.
There really aren’t many model year differences in the drivetrain, until the new tranny was added. Every few years the trim and headlights get refreshed, and a new useless av unit is installed. The LX is about three years ahead of the TLC regarding creature comforts (lift gate, ventilated seats, etc)

Haha yes you do. Thanks again for letting me park it at your place while I get things straight with my move! Sounds like CST just finished with the black truck as well. I am working a 12 hour shift today and tomorrow, but will try and get out there early next week.

I know right where that truck is;)

Ok this is some good information!

So no lifts on the LX's because of the AHC. Good to know.

Hmm weird I would have thought every year would have had vented seats! I guess you're right the nav systems aren't really a huge selling point considering how quickly they are outdated, I was just wondering if some years had better screens, felt less clunky, etc. than others.

There are many options for all those things on all model years. The bumpers for a LX 570 will require more modification as the grill is different. But, there’s plenty on here with ARB bumpers on them. Lift is also currently not really a viable option the US due to AHC.

Model Year Differences, LC200 + LX570

Not sure what you consider baubles, but crawl control is great, cool box, wireless charging on 16+, etc.

Building an LX is a lot harder, not much aftermarket support. There will be more options in a year or so for armor. If you really want suspension options only the TLC has them.
There really aren’t many model year differences in the drivetrain, until the new tranny was added. Every few years the trim and headlights get refreshed, and a new useless av unit is installed. The LX is about three years ahead of the TLC regarding creature comforts (lift gate, ventilated seats, etc)

Ok this is some good information!

Hmm weird I would have thought every year would have had vented seats! I guess you're right the nav systems aren't really a huge selling point considering how quickly they are outdated, I was just wondering if some years had better screens, felt less clunky, etc. than others.
All years of the lx do have ventilation. Not so the tlc same with the lift gate, remote start, etc. standard or option on the lx a few years ahead. No big deal just creature comforts.
The av is bad across the board. Bluetooth audio on 2010+, but that is hardly a triumph.

Lx lift is capped at only 3.5” or so. Less total gvwr unless you run heavier springs

13+ LC was my target. Xenon low beams, ventilated seats, updated instrument cluster and navigation, turn assist, in sure I am forgetting stuff.

I don’t plan on lifting it but know myself well enough to say it’s possible (if not probable) eventually.. and for that reason and the 18s vs 20s I specifically targeted cruisers vs LXs.

Bumpers were not a concern for me.. I think they are all hideous and don’t want to take this rig that far anyway.

I have zero complaints with the 100k mile 13LC I bought. Removed third row, baseline, sliders and 285/65 ATs are all I need. Other than the PO having at least one chocolate lab.. apparently.

Depending on one's perspective and how you intend to use your vehicle... AHC can also be seen as having built in lift. Easy to sensor lift 1.5" with a 10mm wrench and 10 minutes. And then have another 3"+ accessible on demand. Equaling over 4" of lift. Without the compromises of having 4"+ of lift all the time because that just wrecks the handling of the vehicle, including leaving no droop travel. That 4"+ won't sag when you're loaded down for vacation, meaning it really is 4"+ when you want it, and not just 2" after loadout. You won't see many LC rigs with static 4"+ lift as the suspension geometry just won't support it unless there's more involved suspension mods. Then you can always throw on larger tires for a tire lift, and potentially even a body lift for 6"++ total lift.

As you own a luxury car and appreciate the finer points of ride quality and body control... AHC is also unmatched in its on road (and off-road!) capabilities and manners. Always having the right damping response, surprising flat body roll when cornering, and minimal brake dive. Regardless of load-out, because again, it's a dynamic system. You're 80 looks reasonably mild in mods. The LX would easily be capable to that level of modification. If you want to go hardcore, than the LC may be for you. But then some would say that they would want to go back to full solid axles and seek that nice 80-series of yours.

I'll keep it at this as I've written extensively on this topic and the OG guys are probably already rolling their eyes. I'd encourage you not to dismiss AHC and research some older posts. I'd be happy to answer any questions here too.

Unless you're looking for very specialized suspension performance, none will do it all better. Not even close.

Hmmm so a lot of guys are just using the AHC for lift, that is interesting. I would have assumed everyone would be going with an Icon or King coil setup.

Yes 80 is very mild. That is why I assume I can do the same thing in a 200 as in an 80.

I apologize to the OG that they have to roll their eyes, instead of take a minute to type. Sorry OG's.

Depending on one's perspective and how you intend to use your vehicle... AHC can also be seen as having built in lift. Easy to sensor lift 1.5" with a 10mm wrench and 10 minutes. And then have another 3"+ accessible on demand. Equaling over 4" of lift. Without the compromises of having 4"+ of lift all the time because that just wrecks the handling of the vehicle, including leaving no droop travel. That 4"+ won't sag when you're loaded down for vacation, meaning it really is 4"+ when you want it, and not just 2" after loadout. You won't see many LC rigs with static 4"+ lift as the suspension geometry just won't support it unless there's more involved suspension mods. Then you can always throw on larger tires for a tire lift, and potentially even a body lift for 6"++ total lift.

As you own a luxury car and appreciate the finer points of ride quality and body control... AHC is also unmatched in its on road (and off-road!) capabilities and manners. Always having the right damping response, surprising flat body roll when cornering, and minimal brake dive. Regardless of load-out, because again, it's a dynamic system. You're 80 looks reasonably mild in mods. The LX would easily be capable to that level of modification. If you want to go hardcore, than the LC may be for you. But then some would say that they would want to go back to full solid axles and seek that nice 80-series of yours.

I'll keep it at this as I've written extensively on this topic and the OG guys are probably already rolling their eyes. I'd encourage you not to dismiss AHC and research some older posts. I'd be happy to answer any questions here too.

Unless you're looking for very specialized suspension performance, none will do it all better. Not even close.

Oh, and I might go long-arm eventually. Another ding against the LX.

Edit: there are a LOT more people around the world with traditional lifts on cruisers than using AHC seriously off road.

Please don’t let Teckis convince you there is any kind of consensus. He has strong opinions and will write about them extensively. Doesn’t mean a lot of people agree.

Oh, and I might go long-arm eventually. Another ding against the LX.

Edit: there are a LOT more people around the world with traditional lifts on cruisers than using AHC seriously off road.

Please don’t let Teckis convince you there is any kind of consensus. He has strong opinions and will write about them extensively. Doesn’t mean a lot of people agree.

You don't have to agree. That is not my intent. You LC guys need to be more comfortable in your own skin. And the LC has nothing to prove as it is absolutely the KING of overlanding.

That said, to dismiss the LX AHC system is shortsighted. On the basis of "can't lift AHC"...bull****. "Can't handle more GVWR", more kaka as I've gone to 1800lbs payload without issue. There's configurations to 5-tons with ballistic armor. "Can't go off-road", seriously?...it's a friggen LC underneath. It will do it all.

That doesn't take anything away from the LC, because the LX is an LC. If you want to get more serious and deeper with mods, the LC variant very likely may suit you better as it leaves the door open to more kinds of modifications. Yet the one thing you can't get with the LC, is AHC if you can understand what it brings to the table.

I agree with Teckis entirely. I have an LX and go pretty much everywhere I need/want to go over serious off road terrain to get to hunting, fishing, and backcountry in general in Alaska. Once a year or so I go out wheeling with a group of built out wranglers and a built out 80 and do just fine (although I avoid rock crawling if possible. Only thing I have done is changed to KO2s

For the record I have an lx. I don’t envy the tlc suspension at all. It is rare to see more than a 3” lift on a TLC. The only drawback for me is that there is more choice in the aftermarket armor for the tlc, at the moment. I firmly believe this will get rectified over the next 12 myths.

As I put in my build thread, sooner or later fabs will figure out 3x lx were sold, and these are now used 4x4 not mall cruisers. And there will be parts!

I think it is still fair to point out the shortcomings of both platforms, but it really is tomato tomato.

Find the cleanest unit you can afford. The minor differences in features should be secondary.

I'm still waiting for someone with an LX/AHC to want and try to upgrade or integrate something into the AHC. If you search around there's some brainstorming about how to do this.

The 5.7 w/ 6 speed is awesome.

@scottryana , I recently considered all these things and ended up getting a 2013 LC for the following reasons:

1) primary reason: ‘13-‘15 was in my price range with reasonable mileage
2) Several people have modded their 13-15 that had been posting recently, so I felt there was substantial experience to go to if I needed help, and there didn’t seem to be as many ‘16/‘17s that had been modded, and even less examples of LXs

Having typed all that, you can make anything work that you want. Some routes may be more expensive than others, just need to determine what works for you. What I like about this forum is there are many experts and professionals who are more than happy to help you work through your build.

Best of luck in your quest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom