Help with installing alt. with vacuum pump (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Shop told me the first brand new alt. with vacuum pump failed, said seal on vacuum failed. Ordered another, same thing happened, oil going in where vacuum is supposed to go. Is there a secret to how you hook this thing up? Are all Vacuum on top, oil in middle and oil out bottom? Do you need to prime the alternator or hook up in a certain order. I'm lost here. Any pics of a B engine with vacuum hook up? Thanks

Have you got a pic of it? Oil supply should go into the center of the vac pump and drain out the bottom, Vacuum connection on the top. The oil is what seals the vanes in the pump to allow the creation of vacuum and there is no seal to prevent oil coming out the vacuum port. If oil is coming out the vacuum connection the pump is either upside down or rotating the wrong direction.

Vacuum is at the top for sure. When they hooked it up and left vacuum hose off oil comes out of the vacuum valve. Is there any reason two alternators would rotate the wrong direction?

Only 3 things will let oil out the top, wrong direction of rotation, pump impeller or vanes not turning or damaged, or a blocked drain.

To check if the alt is rotating the correct way, just look at the cooling fins on the pulley. They always suck air in.
What part number are they using?

Just went by shop and vacuum pump is oriented on the bottom of alternator. Is it separated where oil shouldn't get into it no matter what?

The 45's have a vacuum tank with a drain plug on them as well as the lines run along the top the fire wall. How's the pluming on yours set up to the tank.

Just went by shop and vacuum pump is oriented on the bottom of alternator. Is it separated where oil shouldn't get into it no matter what?

What kind of alternator is it?

I'm giving up on the vacuum pump. The tech guy said no matter how the vacuum pump is oriented it should not be blowing oil out. I'm going to get an electric vacuum pump and reg alternator and put this to bed. Thanks for all help.

Alt/Vac combo's have been used for years by many manufacturers without problems. I have one on my diesel and it works great.

You have installed several alt/vac's with the same result, so I would look deeper. Something is wrong - blocked oil or wrong size return line, too much back pressure, something is going on and an electric vac pump may only mask bigger issues.

Do you have a manual for this engine? Pictures?

Alt/Vac combo's have been used for years by many manufacturers without problems. I have one on my diesel and it works great.

You have installed several alt/vac's with the same result, so I would look deeper. Something is wrong - blocked oil or wrong size return line, too much back pressure, something is going on and an electric vac pump may only mask bigger issues.

Do you have a manual for this engine? Pictures?

X2. It sounds like there's something else wrong or the shop is doing something wrong.

I went by and made sure the lines were hooked up right and they were. I think the vacuum being at the 5:30 setting if it were a clock is the problem. I've only ever seen Vacuum pumps at 12:00. The place I bought it from said that should not matter. My last alternator had vacuum pump and it worked fine. Its been in the shop for 5 weeks and I'm over it! Thanks for help/advice guys.

5 weeks over an alternator says to me the shop is incompetent.

So it was an aftermarket type like on ebay?

word on electric vacuum pumps .. check amp rating vs whatever alt you gonna run .. I got sick of my vacuum pump too for different reasons and end with hydrobooster brake system and the Alt I always wanted ..

I also had a good run with OEX alternaotrs on 1HZ

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom