help with enabling 94 fzj80 Abs please (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a built fzj with added center diff lock button. I have searched the forums for a easy how to disable ABS, so I can do the reverse. Ideally I'd like to potentially have a switch so I can enable disable ABS while in Awd, but for now I just want to test it out.
Why?
I have read many complaints of the FJ80 ABS, and I'd like to see for myself.
Driving defensively in icy conditions with new 285 BFG KO2s all around I am not impressed with how easily I can put myself into a skid......stopping distance.
Ido not live in an area where winter specific tires would be ideal.
Anyhow just want to go to some large icy parking lots and try stops with it on and off.
I'll get my manual out.
Could it be as simple as a fuse?
I know often when the trucks are lifted folks don't bother lengthening the connections. But I also see the abs has its own ecu and and this could be a real can of worms. If anyone can let me know what to look for or direct me to an ideal thread.....much appreciated. I will post my "empirical" results, will go practice my over and under steer recovery as well. Slip sliding away will be the tune in mind. I'll have a friend's unmolested FZJ up here that I'll check out its braking with 4 low on (ABS off) and in AWD (ABS on) as well if he lets me: the song in my head will not be Rolling rolling rolling rawhide.

When the CDL is enabled the ABS is disabled. Once you exceed ~33 MPH ABS will remain disabled even when the CDL is unlocked until the ignition is turned off.

When the CDL is enabled the ABS is disabled. Once you exceed ~33 MPH ABS will remain disabled even when the CDL is unlocked until the ignition is turned off.
I didn't realize it "turned off" at 33. I did know ABS was disabled when CDL was on.
My ABS has been physically disabled, snipped, neutered, circumcised and I wish experiment with having it back.

still have not figured it out, except that the relay is good. Unsure if the ABS was intentionally deleted when the car had the center diff lock button mod. wires to sensors seem to be in place.

I removed mine when breaking pressure was reduced when I tried to stop on dry pavement.
I wanted to keep it but every time I checked the codes a different code would pop up. Removed fuse and live better without it.
After removing the whole abs system and installed a purporting valve, breaking has gotten even better. It brakes like a normal vehicle and not like a go-cart dragging a stick for brakes.

I didn't realize it "turned off" at 33. I did know ABS was disabled when CDL was on.
My ABS has been physically disabled, snipped, neutered, circumcised and I wish experiment with having it back.
It turns off until ignition reset if you exceeded 33 with the CDL on not in regular AWD.

not sure on our application but many people pull the fuse to get rid of ABS on all different kinds of vehicles..... lots of people dislike ABS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom