Help identifying ting ting noise (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings! Recently I’ve had a ting ting ting noise while in drive sitting idle when the truck is cold. Once I’m driving or the truck is warmed up the noise goes away.

I have an 04 LC with 184k.

The noise sounds kind of like the fan hitting metal. That’s the only to describe it.

Any help would be appreciated.

It's probably a exhaust manifold leak like a lot of us have here on mud. If it goes away after a few minutes, I would leave it alone.

There's also that shield (or shields) on your exhaust. I had to put on a couple steel hose clamps on mine right under the middle of the truck.

So it’s really hard because it’s only when it’s in drive and cold. Also I’m always alone when it’s doing it so I can’t really get out and listen to it. Ugh. It’s frustrating.

Manifold leak, no worries

Your smart to pay attention to sounds.

Many things can cause funny sounds. Isolating sound is part of inspecting. If you've no wrenching skills. There are some very good guys in your area. Some shops, some just mud members. Reach out.

Exhaust manifold leak is not so common in the 04, but does happen. Ones that stop after warm-up are no big deal. Over time leak will get larger and not stop and must be corrected.

What is very common is spark plugs walking out. This can make very similar sound and go away after warm up. If left uncorrected can cause very damaging issues to coil, plug and head.

Spark plugs Alert Alert Alert!

2001LC, thank you for the response. Unfortunately I do not have any wrenching skills. But I will take it and have it looked it ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom