HELP! Death Wobble. Mechanic Arizona (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Folks
We are tourists from Europa and travel the PanAm. Currently we are in Havasu City, Arizona.

Since quite some time we have a Desth Wobble problem. Several mechanics /shops tried already to fix it without success. Latest just yesterday, changed a bearing of the tie rod and adjusted the wheel bearing. It is a bit better but still wobbles up under certain circumstances …,

Could you please recommend me someone who is able to fix this?
I found sonoran rovers in Tucson? Does anyone have experience with them?
Us
Thanks for your prompt answers

Thanks for the answers. I am not sure if we make it to Sonoita regarding the situation we’re in with that death wobble. But I’ll contact you if we get closer.

What about opening times over Christmas time?

Death wobble is always caused by:

Bad stabilizer dampener
Loose front end anywhere
Bad alignment (like really bad)

All of these are really easy to check with the vehicle in the air. It's similar to a Jeep steering system, and Jeeps are notorious for death wobble. We fix it multiple times weekly.

Have you taken it to a good, independent 4x4 shop? (not a chain like Firestone or a tire shop). And what have you replaced so far?

Bad stabilizer dampener
Loose front end anywhere

All of these are really easy to check with the vehicle in the air. It's similar to a Jeep steering system, and Jeeps are notorious for death wobble. We fix it multiple times weekly.

Have you taken it to a good, independent 4x4 shop? (not a chain like Firestone or a tire shop). And what have you replaced so far?

All is under control... they will be here shortly for us to take care of the issues. 👍

Bad stabilizer dampener
Loose front end anywhere

Not to be argumentative but I’ve always understood that the stabilizer/damper is not a cause with a healthy steering/axle setup. It may mask the issue, but it’s not a cause.

Death wobble usually occurs to loose/worn steering parts, axle trunion hubs etc.

Now on a non-power steering rig it helps but I don’t think the cause at all. I’ve run without a stabilizer on previous rigs for awhile and zero issue.

Not to be argumentative but I’ve always understood that the stabilizer/damper is not a cause with a healthy steering/axle setup. It may mask the issue, but it’s not a cause.

Death wobble usually occurs to loose/worn steering parts, axle trunion hubs etc.

Now on a non-power steering rig it helps but I don’t think the cause at all. I’ve run without a stabilizer on previous rigs for awhile and zero issue.
That's a great point. A good steering dampener does more masking of a deeper problem in the suspension, but it's not the real root cause.

As a novice looking to learn, I don't know what that means

BEECEC7E-64BA-4E1B-B593-EC0C59069531.gif

Seriously:
Caster check
New tie rod ends
Axle rebuild
Steering box adjust

hmmmm, i removed my sway bar

My death wobble was a missing bolt in the sway bar 😂
You never know with these things (but at least you know where to look)
🧐 not sure that computes

hmmmm, i removed my sway bar

🧐 not sure that computes

This was early on in my ownership... It was a persistent death wobble and I was gone (as usual). Told my dad to take it into a shop (not the first shop, mind you!) and that was their diagnosis. Since then, 10's of thousands of km and no wobble, not even once.
(So, maybe you're right. You never know what shops share with you which is why I try to do things by myself when I can.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom