HELP - 2WD only LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good sunday,
Please help with any advise, I rather not take it to the Stealership.

As I was driving up a pass I lost power. Pulled over waited and tried again in drive and reverse, nothing.
Pressed differential lock, works in reverse and drive. Drove home (40 miles).
Only works with differential lock on. Looked under the car, shafts seemed fine.
Transmission fluid to level, color is normal and clean. No leaks under transfer case.
Took to small shop near me, put on rack, ONLY REAR WHEELS are spinning in drive
and reverse. Not sure if front drive shaft was spinning but could see rear drive shaft spinning.

I will attempt to take off the Hub dust cap to see if the C clip came off,
should I check both front wheels?
If that's the problem should I replace both hub and axle?

If that's not the problem, I tried by hand to see if front axles move but
to my untrained hands seemed solid.

Have spent several hours reading on the forum, great write ups. Some of it is over my head....
If it ends up being a differential (hope not), any recommendations for northern california
shop that's good and reasonable.

Thanks

2002 LX 470, 177k

The key to finding the problem is seeing which shafts move and which don't. (Driveshaft, Left drive flange/CV or Right drive flange/CV).

When CDL is off, on flat ground, place in reverse and give it a little throttle: (Have somebody observe, not in direct path of vehicle. If you are by yourself, use your smartphone to video).

-If one CV shaft turns but the other doesn't (with no rearward progression). The side that turns is the problem. Mostly likely the drive flange and/or the CV splines are worn. The CV could've also backed out due to a C-clip issue but it would be fairly obvious when looking from underneath. There will be a ~1" gap between the CV and hub.

-If both CV shafts don't spin but the front driveshaft spins, the problem is likely inside the front differential ($$$).

-If neither driveshaft nor CV shafts spin, suspect the center differential issue.

Good advice ^. You probably have a cv axle and hub in your near future.

If it is an axle spinning due to worn splines, you should hear it spinning rather easily to determine which side. But only if CDL is unlocked. The CDL was probably locked when on the rack which is why you didn't hear the axle spinning.

Same issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom