HELP - lost power going up a pass but works fine once I pressed 4x4 - 2002 LX470 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
Love my 2002 LX470 (177k) but at a lose here and can really use some advise.
Had it for 8.5 years. Well maintained, new starter, alternator, etc.. But has some issues.

Coming back from Tahoe on hwy 80 and heading up a pass to Vallejo, all the sudden I pressed the gas slightly
and nothing happened, no power to wheels. I managed to pull over to a safe spot, up hill.
Looked under the car, no leaks visible. waited 5 minutes, started it put in reverse, nothing, no engagement.
Sitting there thinking about climbing the mountain next to me as there was no reception to call a tow truck.

I turned the LX back on and pressed the 4x4 Botton and tried to put in reverse, to my surprise it worked fine,
same in drive. Drove to a rest stop a few miles up the road. Pulled over checked for leaks,
rested a bit and drove home to San Francisco. That was so lucky.

when I tried it yesterday not in 4x4 mode and put in reverse I could hear a slight whine.

Not sure what to do next since I don't know if it's a transmission problem? Differential?
Please advise.

Also would really appreciate a referral to a good shop in the Bay Area that knows land cruisers and LX470.

Your truck is full time 4wd, the button I'm guessing you're pressing is the center differential lock button. Most likely one of the c-clips has slipped off the end of the axle and it's rotating freely. If it is that, surprised you're not saying there was a grinding sound. Anyway, easy to inspect, there's an FAQ thread on it. Also a very recent SF Bay Area mechanic request thread too, just in the past day.

Not to familiar with the drive line of the 100 series. Do they have a drive flange? If they do I would check the drive flanges, the 80 series Land Cruiser has them and there are reports of them stripping and causes issues similar to what your are describing.

1689253645246.png

This is the part I am referring to.

Hi,
Love my 2002 LX470 (177k) but at a lose here and can really use some advise.
Had it for 8.5 years. Well maintained, new starter, alternator, etc.. But has some issues.

Coming back from Tahoe on hwy 80 and heading up a pass to Vallejo, all the sudden I pressed the gas slightly
and nothing happened, no power to wheels. I managed to pull over to a safe spot, up hill.
Looked under the car, no leaks visible. waited 5 minutes, started it put in reverse, nothing, no engagement.
Sitting there thinking about climbing the mountain next to me as there was no reception to call a tow truck.

I turned the LX back on and pressed the 4x4 Botton and tried to put in reverse, to my surprise it worked fine,
same in drive. Drove to a rest stop a few miles up the road. Pulled over checked for leaks,
rested a bit and drove home to San Francisco. That was so lucky.

when I tried it yesterday not in 4x4 mode and put in reverse I could hear a slight whine.

Not sure what to do next since I don't know if it's a transmission problem? Differential?
Please advise.

Also would really appreciate a referral to a good shop in the Bay Area that knows land cruisers and LX470.
You have something broken or amiss (as the others are pointing out) that is now the path of least resistance for your AWD system. When you lock the center differential, now 50% of the power goes to the front and back, so the other half of the driveline is getting power.

This could be a broken CV axle, a CV axle that lost the C Clip and backed out of the hub, a stripped hub, a disconnected drive shaft. If you turn off the center lock and put it in gear (and its not moving), you can look under the truck and see the drive train spinning. The part farthest from the transfer case that is spinning is broken at that point. Of course, there is likely noise/grinding coming from that area as well.

Your truck is full time 4wd, the button I'm guessing you're pressing is the center differential lock button. Most likely one of the c-clips has slipped off the end of the axle and it's rotating freely. If it is that, surprised you're not saying there was a grinding sound. Anyway, easy to inspect, there's an FAQ thread on it. Also a very recent SF Bay Area mechanic request thread too, just in the past day.
Thank you for this insight, much appreciated! I will check it out this weekend, really hope it's axle or drive shaft issue.

You have something broken or amiss (as the others are pointing out) that is now the path of least resistance for your AWD system. When you lock the center differential, now 50% of the power goes to the front and back, so the other half of the driveline is getting power.

This could be a broken CV axle, a CV axle that lost the C Clip and backed out of the hub, a stripped hub, a disconnected drive shaft. If you turn off the center lock and put it in gear (and its not moving), you can look under the truck and see the drive train spinning. The part farthest from the transfer case that is spinning is broken at that point. Of course, there is likely noise/grinding coming from that area as well.
Thank you so much. Great advise. I will go under the car this weekend and look at the items you suggested. Was starting to give up on my LX470 as it has this problem and a leaking power steering. I'm trying to be optimistic now and hope it's one of the items you mentioned.

Thank you for this insight, much appreciated! I will check it out this weekend, really hope it's axle or drive shaft issue.
I like the mechanic that was recommended from Walnut Creek, Nice guy Frank, met him when I looked at buying the shop landcruiser.
Looks like solid shop. We need a list of good specialized mechanics from all over around the Bay Area.
It would be useful to all to have more references to a few other good shops around the Bay Area. So many LC & LX around.
Please share.

Not to familiar with the drive line of the 100 series. Do they have a drive flange? If they do I would check the drive flanges, the 80 series Land Cruiser has them and there are reports of them stripping and causes issues similar to what your are describing.

View attachment 3372314

This is the part I am referring to.
Good advise, thank you. Will be checking this out over the weekend as well as shafts and CV axles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom