Hello GX470 guys, newbie here with some questions... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Right now I have a 1st Gen Mitsubishi Montero which I love, but I know the wife does not like driving it all the time, especially with the baby.

I think she will like the GXs and I have always liked them since they remind me a lot of my Montero.

Anyways a few questions, even after doing a search I couldn't really find the info I was looking for. I've been eye-ing a 2006 GX470 in my area for a while now.

Does the GX470 have (brake actuated or LSD) traction control which will help if a wheel is in the air or spinning with no resistance?

From what I can tell there is only a center diff lock which is standard on GXs

Are Auto-Lockers (Aussie Locker etc) available for front diff?

While we are on the subject, is there a place where I can look at diff sizes (or names) or see a comparison between GX and 4-runner (or FJ, whatever is more similar)

Are all LC Prado parts interchangeable (if same engine)?

Any known issues with engine or drivetrain I should closely inspect? diff seals, u-joints, valve leak, etc?

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions.

The GX does have an ATRAC system to take care of the spinning wheels.

ARB does have a front and rear locker for this vehicle.

Other than the water pump and timing belt at 90k, the vehicle is solid with a nice balance of on/off road performance.

Other concerns: drive shaft clunk sound, cracking dashboard, peeling chrome wheels, popping air bags-suspensions, some have outdated navigation and radio unit that cannot be changed due to loss of AC/heat control

All this can be searched if you want more details.

In addition to dogbite's info...

the GX diffs are identical size to 4th Gen 4runners and FJ Cruiser, so the FJ rear elocker could also be used in the rear of the GX (with a bit of modification).

No, not *all* Prado parts are 100% interchangeable, but there is a great deal that is. Anything specific you are thinking?

ok well you guys mentioned 4th Gen 4Runner diffs are same size, so I was thinking of some kind of diff swap down the road.

Where would you rate the GX470 ATRAC system on a scale from 0 - 10? 0 being completely open diffs and 10 being electronic or air lockers?

Thanks for the info guys.

7-8.

Sent from my iPhone

^ agreed. Atrac is the shiznit.

It is all throttle and brake modulation. Most people I see "hit it" and go over 2000 rpm, which shuts off ATRAC. Which means, most that hate it, aren't actually using it.

As far as the chassis and down (suspension components, wheels sizes, drive, gears, lockers .... etc) the gx is compatible with the fj cruiser and 4runner of the same area ... all 3 are based on the "120 series" platform. .. the difference you will learn very quickly in these forums regarding suspension is the gx is equipped with self leveling airbags in the rear instead of coil springs ... you'll have to by a conversion kit to change from bags to springs

Are your asking about traction control for on or offroad use?

Did you buy the red 2008 at hoehn? It got sold the mirning i came in from tucson to look at it and the trade in was a old mistubishi. If you did that thing was nice and my wife was pissed lol.

Heyo,

Actually I picked up a 2005 from the lexus dealer, had all scheduled services done on the dot with records. Bad thing is, it will be wifey's car for the next 5 years or so, so no mods yet. I already have my fun car as it's garage buddy.

view

view

I like a man with a plan. You got to do what you got to do. Enjoy it.

Nah man engine is solid, it's not powerful, but it more than does the job. Have 236k on it right now with fresh top end rebuild. Hoping to get at least over 300,000 with it.

The GX does have an ATRAC system to take care of the spinning wheels.

ARB does have a front and rear locker for this vehicle.

Other than the water pump and timing belt at 90k, the vehicle is solid with a nice balance of on/off road performance.

Other concerns: drive shaft clunk sound, cracking dashboard, peeling chrome wheels, popping air bags-suspensions, some have outdated navigation and radio unit that cannot be changed due to loss of AC/heat control

All this can be searched if you want more details.
Does ATRAC come standard on all GXs or was that an option?

ATRAC stands for Automatic TRAction Control and it ain’t automatic! You have to manually use it! Lol!

First, you have to limit RPMs to under 2000 manually. Second, you got to let air out of your tires. Third, you gotta press the brakes and accelerate at the same time. Automatic my ass.

Other than those manual steps...it’s automatic traction control= mATRAC

I rate it a 4 and u can’t test it n the street!

ATRAC stands for Automatic TRAction Control and it ain’t automatic! You have to manually use it! Lol!

First, you have to limit RPMs to under 2000 manually. Second, you got to let air out of your tires. Third, you gotta press the brakes and accelerate at the same time. Automatic my ass.

Other than those manual steps...it’s automatic traction control= mATRAC

I rate it a 4 and u can’t test it n the street!

ATRAC is 100% completely automatic for me. I've never had to press the brake and accelerate at the same time, just gas. It comes on when it detects slippage. And it works! I hear ATRAC's noisy brake activation. And then my GX gets past the bad traction situation. How much noise it makes will depend on how bad you're stuck.

The best way to familiarize yourself with ATRAC is to drive on a trail or an obstacle course at a terrain park.

You can get a feel of what it sounds and acts like by turning on DAC or "Downhill Assist" and let the car down a steep hill. You're hear what ATRAC sounds like because DAC activates the brakes in a similar way. DAC is way more noisier actually.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom