Headers / exhaust upgrades (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone I’m new here. Just purchased a 2001 Land Cruiser that has had a lot of modifications done to it. Even though it has the TRD supercharger, I am finding that when passing vehicles on the highway with the large gap between gears on the 4 speed, that its passing capabilities are lack lustre. I am looking to further increase the power to compensate for the 4 speed tranny. Air intake isn’t an option as it already has a snorkel. Has the supercharger. My thoughts were to install headers and a complete new exhaust to increase power. 2 questions… Doug Thorley offers short tube headers. Are they worth it or should I be trying to track down some long tube headers?
Is there an exhaust system out there that eliminates the catalytic converters? And if so, is it worth it to eliminate them?

I've had my eye on some Aussie headers that look to my untrained eye a bit more simple and sleek that the DTs (genie headers, wildcats). I have a buddy that's willing to ship to me from the land of Oz, which is what started me thinking about it, but I'm not in a rush for more nice-to-haves right now.

If you already have a supercharger and it's still too slow you might have purchased the wrong vehicle. These were never meant to be fast vehicles. The DT headers are probably the best headers made for this vehicle. A lot better than oem.
Thanks for the info. Its not that I am not looking for a fast vehicle, just looking to increase the power a little more and make it a little safer for highway passing.
As for the Doug Thorley headers… so short tubes is the way to go?

Thanks for the info. Its not that I am not looking for a fast vehicle, just looking to increase the power a little more and make it a little safer for highway passing.
As for the Doug Thorley headers… so short tubes is the way to go?
Most people go with them because they don't crack like the original headers. Not sure if they provide a performance increase. Again, other than the supercharger there's just really a lot you can do unless you want to start reducing your weight. You could get rid of your bumpers, roof rack, and go back to the factory tire size. Have your diff gears been changed? Most owners just get used to riding in the slow lane.

I've had my eye on some Aussie headers that look to my untrained eye a bit more simple and sleek that the DTs (genie headers, wildcats). I have a buddy that's willing to ship to me from the land of Oz, which is what started me thinking about it, but I'm not in a rush for more nice-to-haves right now.
It is my understanding that you’re likely to have issues fitting RHD headers on a LHD vehicle.

You should check for restriction in intake and see what your current boost is. If you intake is restricted with the SC the exhaust wont help much in my opinion. Intake was the biggest performance increase for me with Supercharger. Just make sure you aren't going lean at WOT. Long tube Headers are extremely hard to fit in LC100 on driver side. I would do intake, check fueling, upgrade from headers back , check fueling. Then headers. Just some thoughts from my experience with TRD SC.

To check restriction on intake I just noted boost with intake all sealed up. Then I opened lid and secured filter ,went WOT again and noted new boost psi. I picked up 2 PSI from stock intake to open intake with filter.

As others have said, if it's not fast enough for you you with a super charger you may be in the wrong truck. I personally have never felt my truck lacking (I have a 5 speed). Even with full armor and oversized tires it got around OK. I cruised at 80 all day and had plenty of get up passing. It's not a sports car by any means, but it's a 7,000# truck on 35s (now). I have full Thorley exhaust from headers back (catless, still working on the CEL fix) and while it is a noticeable improvement in terms of throttle response I doubt it will be a bigger improvement than the supercharger. Def make sure that your throttle cable is as tight as it should be, that has been an issue for multiple people who feel like they are flooring it with not enough response. The quickest way to appreciate the 100 is to find a slow truck like an old 60 series and drive that for a while! there is a thread somewhere on here that has dyno runs with the Thorley, I believe. Also, I'd be cautious with putting non proven headers on, there is very very little clearance with the frame on the driver's side especially.

As others have said, if it's not fast enough for you you with a super charger you may be in the wrong truck. I personally have never felt my truck lacking (I have a 5 speed). Even with full armor and oversized tires it got around OK. I cruised at 80 all day and had plenty of get up passing. It's not a sports car by any means, but it's a 7,000# truck on 35s (now). I have full Thorley exhaust from headers back (catless, still working on the CEL fix) and while it is a noticeable improvement in terms of throttle response I doubt it will be a bigger improvement than the supercharger. Def make sure that your throttle cable is as tight as it should be, that has been an issue for multiple people who feel like they are flooring it with not enough response. The quickest way to appreciate the 100 is to find a slow truck like an old 60 series and drive that for a while! there is a thread somewhere on here that has dyno runs with the Thorley, I believe. Also, I'd be cautious with putting non proven headers on, there is very very little clearance with the frame on the driver's side especially.
This exactly. I had a 80 series before this and an older bmw station wagon that was even slower than the 80 series if you can believe that. The 100 series is miles better compered to them. Not sure if OP is trying to race modern day trucks or what but It's just not going to hang with the newer trucks that are putting down ridiculous amounts of hp.

Avoid OEM manifolds. I installed one by my self spending 7 hours and it just ran good for may be a 6 months and it is time to replace it again! I bought it from a toyota dealer OEM (Cameblack toyota in AZ).

if you search some numbers on HP going from exhaust, youll see thats its pretty small. usually single digits. if a supercharger didnt do it for you, exhaust is going to be a waste of money and effort. just curious, what are the highway travel speeds up there? i drive my 4 speed truck at 70-80 regularly with no issues.

Avoid OEM manifolds. I installed one by my self spending 7 hours and it just ran good for may be a 6 months and it is time to replace it again! I bought it from a toyota dealer OEM (Cameblack toyota in AZ).
Really, Not a gasket leaking? I’ve looked at cruisers with over 250k that had original OEMs without the crack and no lights. Hard to believe Toyota manifolds would die that fast. I think Toyota has a 1 year warranty as well on all their parts.

Other options are DTs that they rarely produce anymore? The cheapo pacesetters?

To OP:
As others said it’s 6500lb BOF SUV that’s 20 years old, these aren’t meant for passing people @75-80. A 200 would give you way more power. 3UR vs 2UZ is quite the leap.

How tough is the header install for a DIY?

I have doug thorley shorty headers and a dual 2 1/4" to 3" with a magnaflow 2 into 1 muffler and magnaflow hi flow cats (2 total) on my 2000. The truck feels like it picked up roughly 40hp. Motor is all stock besides that. The truck with 34" tires, stock gears, bumpers and a 2.5" lift feels the same power wise as it did completely stock. I can pull the same 5% hill on my way into work without losing speed or shifting out of OD just like it did when it was all stock.

As others said it’s 6500lb BOF SUV that’s 20 years old, these aren’t meant for passing people @75-80. A 200 would give you way more power. 3UR vs 2UZ is quite the leap.

Go take a 3FE 60 or 80 series for a test drive, it makes your 2UZ-FE 100 series drive much quicker/faster 😁

How tough is the header install for a DIY?

I don't think there is anyone out there who will say it's easy. I didn't DIY, I had my shop do them and it took a while. 1.5-2 hours was on the two broken studs.

Most people go with them because they don't crack like the original headers. Not sure if they provide a performance increase. Again, other than the supercharger there's just really a lot you can do unless you want to start reducing your weight. You could get rid of your bumpers, roof rack, and go back to the factory tire size. Have your diff gears been changed? Most owners just get used to riding in the slow lane.
I believe the diff gears are still the same.

You should check for restriction in intake and see what your current boost is. If you intake is restricted with the SC the exhaust wont help much in my opinion. Intake was the biggest performance increase for me with Supercharger. Just make sure you aren't going lean at WOT. Long tube Headers are extremely hard to fit in LC100 on driver side. I would do intake, check fueling, upgrade from headers back , check fueling. Then headers. Just some thoughts from my experience with TRD SC.

To check restriction on intake I just noted boost with intake all sealed up. Then I opened lid and secured filter ,went WOT again and noted new boost psi. I picked up 2 PSI from stock intake to open intake with filter.
How would I get a reading on boost?
Also, what kind of horsepower/ torque should I be expecting from having the supercharger? When the dyno was performed

How would I get a reading on boost?
Also, what kind of horsepower / torque should I be expecting from it being supercharged? When the dyno was performed it came back with 199HP and 212FtLb torque.
D4C54451-B77A-4F47-BA49-92EE0DF80DD6.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom