Head units that aren't hideous (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just bought my first LC... woohoo! It's a 91.

Among the few aesthetic fixes it needs, the truck has one of those horrendous blue-LED-everywhere, mid-2000s looking head units. Cheap plastic, looks awful, and it also just turns off after a few minutes, so it's time to replace anyways. Current HU sticks out like a sore thumb and I'm trying to keep the interior period-correct ish.

Anyone have any head unit reccs? It would be nice to have an AUX port, or bluetooth if such a thing exists in a style that isn't horribly garrish. I looked at Retrosound, but it seems they don't offer anything for a 91 LC.

I'm running a Kenwood DDX3 and have been happy with it. The colors are configurable and it's easy to turn off the screen. And most importantly, it has an actual volume knob.

Crutchfield Link

I can snap a photo of what it looks like installed later today or sometime tomorrow
Looks sleek, but I'm trying to avoid a screen if at all possible... maybe that's a huge "if" though. Been wondering if there are any other toyotas that have HUs that would fit in the LC.

Also my truck has a thinner head unit slot, then an empty storage (?) bay below it. So I don't think that would fit, unless I'm missing something?

I know you said no screens, but I'm partial to the Sony Xav-AX100... :)

There is a scion head unit that is plug and play if you search don’t remember it’s features or looks

I just recently replaced Pioneer AVH-120BT (touch screen become unresponsive) with Sony DSX-8700. So far so good, I like the simplicity of the unit.
stereo.jpg

Just bought my first LC... woohoo! It's a 91.

Among the few aesthetic fixes it needs, the truck has one of those horrendous blue-LED-everywhere, mid-2000s looking head units. Cheap plastic, looks awful, and it also just turns off after a few minutes, so it's time to replace anyways. Current HU sticks out like a sore thumb and I'm trying to keep the interior period-correct ish.

Anyone have any head unit reccs? It would be nice to have an AUX port, or bluetooth if such a thing exists in a style that isn't horribly garrish. I looked at Retrosound, but it seems they don't offer anything for a 91 LC.

I’ve really liked this head unit since I saw it in this thread. I would say it’s period correct looking but modern.

I know you said no screens, but I'm partial to the Sony Xav-AX100... :)

I have an XAV-200 in my 80 and t100. The XAV head units fit the look of the dash very well and are not flashy.

And they have the knob.

Last edited:
I'm running a Kenwood DDX3 and have been happy with it. The colors are configurable and it's easy to turn off the screen. And most importantly, it has an actual volume knob.

Crutchfield Link

I can snap a photo of what it looks like installed later today or sometime tomorrow
Food, clothing, shelter, and Volume knob.

Hopefully these help if you are interested in the scion route:

I'm searching for a similar head unit. I can't vouch for the quality of this one as I've never seen one in person, but a lot of Porsche and BMW guys like the Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB:

AlnfJmlBCkUsSR-FCing3dhanci8AwdMO9M501qZ89w.jpg

I'm searching for a similar head unit. I can't vouch for the quality of this one as I've never seen one in person, but a lot of Porsche and BMW guys like the Blaupunkt Bremen SQR 46 DAB:

AlnfJmlBCkUsSR-FCing3dhanci8AwdMO9M501qZ89w.jpg

Looks perfect but they don't seem to offer it for the 80 series LC :/

Looks perfect but they don't seem to offer it for the 80 series LC :/
I'm no audio system guru so you'd have to do your own research... but as far as I know this should fit in any single din stereo location. From there you would just have to wire it up to your LC. I'm not sure if anyone makes a specific harness from this head unit to an LC but you could DIY or potentially have a place like Crutchfield build a harness.

I'm no audio system guru so you'd have to do your own research... but as far as I know this should fit in any single din stereo location. From there you would just have to wire it up to your LC. I'm not sure if anyone makes a specific harness from this head unit to an LC but you could DIY or potentially have a place like Crutchfield build a harness.
ohhh... good to know. I was just looking at the unit on crutchfield and it specifically said it wouldn't fit the LC. but if its single din then i guess its single din??

Only here dude asks for clean head unit and the only legit looking solution offered is made for an old arse Porsche that costs four figures. Lol

They’re all sht because competent companies don’t make products that won’t net profit. The end.

Only here dude asks for clean head unit and the only legit looking solution offered is made for an old arse Porsche that costs four figures. Lol

They’re all sht because competent companies don’t make products that won’t net profit. The end.
lmfao im tempted to just 3d print a piece of black plastic and slap it over the bay

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom