Head units that aren't hideous (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Or just keep the the oem relic even with a finicky cd player with John Denver’s greatest hits on repeat… because it’s the only one that looks right. 🫶🏼
i dont have the oem relic unfortunately, previous owner yanked it out

ohhh... good to know. I was just looking at the unit on crutchfield and it specifically said it wouldn't fit the LC. but if its single din then i guess its single din??
Yeah single din is the thin 2-3” tall decks, double din are the larger 5” ish screens that take up the empty space underneath as well

I did a complete stereo delete on a bmw track car project in the past. It was satisfying to rip out all the old wiring and throw a stereo delete plate on the dash. But that wasn’t a daily of course

I put one of these in my '92. I was quite pleased, standard single din, and looks somewhat period correct.

Amazon product ASIN B08D2R48HZ
IMG_7448.jpg

Last edited:
that looks great, did you need to get/DIY a harness for it?
I don't remember exactly, and this cruiser isn't in my possession anymore, but from what I remember, the wiring on this head unit was extremely straightforward. The head unit comes with a basic harness that I believe was just a "match the wire" situation with the factory harness. That being said, I don't see why an adapter harness like this wouldn't work to prevent splicing into factory wiring:

Also here's the lower radio pocket to adapt to the single din

I run this single DIN Alpine in both my 80s and am happy with it both in form and function. BT, USB, AUX, volume dial and you can choose key color to match the dash yellowish green.
2B93BF04-29AB-40AA-95FD-49573DAC8BC5.jpeg

I have Alpine 9886i units in my cars, and my 80 has a CDA-117 that's basically the same but slightly upgraded.

I hate basically all more modern stuff. I especially hate that massive integrated screen systems in modern cars.

Single-DIN head unit is all an 80 needs perhaps with a multi-channel amp located somewhere else if 30 ish watts RMS output power per channel really is not enough.

IF you want something retro. I am running this in my BMW e30. It matches my orange interior.

VDO Continental TR7412UB-OR European Style 12v Radio Orange Display Bluetooth​

Amazon product ASIN B08D2R48HZ
i was going to say, that would look great in my e30. but i already have a period Nakamichi deck in mine w/ amber backlighting...and a BT adapter for calling and music. but if i were to do it all over again, this all-in-one Conti deck looks the business.

i don't like the amber in a Toyota. Does Conti offer green backlighting?

i was going to say, that would look great in my e30. but i already have a period Nakamichi deck in mine w/ amber backlighting...and a BT adapter for calling and music. but if i were to do it all over again, this all-in-one Conti deck looks the business.

i don't like the amber in a Toyota. Does Conti offer green backlighting?
Unfortunately no.....

To me it’s more about the look of the buttons than a screen that makes it appear period correct. That Kenwood with the volume knob posted earlier is ideal. Or go single DIN and use the new found space for your communications radio.

personally my old Kenwood is so old it’s nearly is period correct but honestly very similar to the one posted.

I have a Pioneer FH-X830BHS. I chose it because I didn't want a screen and it was pretty low-key, no crazy geometry or anything ugly going on. Plus I was able to customize the lighting to match the clock's teal/blue exactly. Not to mention, it has pretty much every feature a head unit that doesn't have a screen can have. Wish I had a good picture but I don't. May post one when I get my car back from shop soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom