Head gasket time, yay! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First off please forgive me for starting another thread on the subject, but I figured there might be some new info out there. Also, ever since I got my new cruiser a year ago I really haven't been too active on the site like I was years ago with my first cruiser and I'd like to rectify that.

Quick history, got this LC about a year ago with 187k miles. It was in need of maintenance and I've doing work as I've been able since. The cooling system had issues so I replaced the rad, themo, fan clutch, and big hoses. It did run hot a couple times so I'm not to surprised the HG gave.

I've only tackled one HG job in my life so any help, tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I see there are some videos on youtube and a dvd from idahodoug floating around so I'll look into that. I also have an email out to Beno to start ordering parts. I want to get the cruiser up and running and also want to get some "while you're in there" stuff but can really can't go to overboard since I know it'll get pretty extensive.

I'm also close to Denver, so if any of the local crew know of good machine shops, that'd be helpful too.

So bring on the suggestions and thanks for helping me out.

First suggestion is to buy, borrow or download the FSM. You won't need any videos or DVD's if you have that.

We have some machine shop recommendations on the rising sun forum. Good luck on the project!

Beno will hook you up with all the parts. I went with new head bolts when I did mine. Good time to do a total cooling system overhaul while you have it apart. Also a good time to add a supercharger if so inclined.

Be Organized, Methodical, and Picky and all will go well.
You are going to be super knowledgeable when it's over.

Symptoms?

Search: Head Gasket and "While You're in There"

Thank guys, I appreciate the motivation. I'll keep updating with my progress. If anyone has an FSM can you please PM me.

I forget the name but there are aftermarket metal gaskets you might want to consider. I think they last the life of the engine. My HG is currently fine but I'm eyeballing that gasket for when my day of reckoning arrives.

I forget the name but there are aftermarket metal gaskets you might want to consider. I think they last the life of the engine. My HG is currently fine but I'm eyeballing that gasket for when my day of reckoning arrives.
MLS gaskets, as you refer to here, are an option but as I understand them require both the block and the head to be decked. If the HG job is in-vehicle definitely stick with the OEM gasket. As I have mentioned elsewhere before, while new headbolts are expensive and not always required as per the FSM, I found it worth my money and peace of mind.

MLS gaskets, as you refer to here, are an option but as I understand them require both the block and the head to be decked. If the HG job is in-vehicle definitely stick with the OEM gasket. As I have mentioned elsewhere before, while new headbolts are expensive and not always required as per the FSM, I found it worth my money and peace of mind.

Yeah I remember reading about the milling that has to happen, I assume to create space for the metal gasket. Who knows, maybe in another 20 years another HG job won't seem so horrible.

Take care of any emissions-related items while youre in there: replace aged hoses and worn clamps.

I had to get into my top end (not as deep as a HG) and had my injectors cleaned and serviced and replaced my fuel filter. I also cleaned out my intake plenum and did the sequoia alt upgrade. All worthwhile since youre taking the top off.

Since the coolant system will be drained its a good time to service that (pump, thermostat and flush the rad) and its a heck of a lot easier to do your PHH. Also a good time to inspect/rewrap the wiring harness where it runs behind the head. My wrapper had really aged and I used some high-heat resistant wrap for it. I also wrapped my EGR tubes in fiberglass exghaust wrap.

It sounds like a lot, but it all went quickly and smoothly, and theyre things I dont need to worry about anymore now.

While my head was off I took the time to read about, and bench test, literally every component that was removed if it could be tested. I also replaced my entire engine wire harness. Yours may look better than mine did. The FSM is absolutely necessary if you plan to be your own mechanic.

Be aware that the overhaul gasket set does not contain 100% of the gaskets and seals you might need. Beno will know about this.

Take your time to organize and label every single part. I use ziplock bags and pieces of painters tape where necessary.

Basically, if it can be tested, cleaned, refurbished, or modified for improved performance, as proven by the maniacs on Mud, do it.

Great stuff. Does anyone have an FSM? I no longer have mine downloaded.

Great stuff. Does anyone have an FSM? I no longer have mine downloaded.
I prefer the tried and true hard copy. Specter has it for like $150.

I prefer the tried and true hard copy. Specter has it for like $150.

I scored mine from Ebay for roughly the same. It's nice having it laid out next to me, and if a bit of grease gets on it no big deal.

I downloaded the digital file, then print the sections I need as I go and put them in a folder.

No $ outlay at the start, and I can lool at the manual during downtime at work and still have paper copies of exactly what I need.

Also an indirect way to keep track of what Ive worked on.

Just be careful of the dreaded while your in there the paranoia can be time consuming and rough in the wallet. But I went down that rabbit hole when doing my head gasket. I looked up one day and it was 4 months later and still not back together lol. It is now and 45,000 miles later still running great

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom