Hand throttle cable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Tennessee Jed

I can quit any time I want...
GOLD Star
Threads
I want to add one to my incoming ('95 HZJ75) Troopy. I have found an OEM cruise control - (SORRY! hand throttle cable) - is that all I need? Is there a floor pedal specifically for the hand throttle?

The hand throttle is a dial lever on the dash, and then it connects via cable to the accelerator pedal. It essentially holds the pedal in a fixed position. Here's the diagram (diagram 78-51 on a 1992 HZJ77). You can open the diagram yourself via PartSouq (scroll down to Toyota, choose Land Cruiser, and then fill in the drop downs).

1692301530063.png

I highly doubt any of this is made any more. You could probably find it on Yahoo Auctions Japan and then order it through Buyee (a shipping proxy). You'll need to add the Google Chrome translate extension. It's a lot of work.

The cable is available.
I want to add one to my incoming ('95 HZJ75) Troopy. I have found an OEM cruise control - (SORRY! hand throttle cable) - is that all I need? Is there a floor pedal specifically for the hand throttle?

Really need to give us more information.

What market did the truck come from? RHD or LHD? Frame number or VIN.

In general, post-1990, your pedal should already be set up for a hand throttle.

So all you will need would be the knob, cable, and the lock nut.

The hand throttle is a dial lever on the dash, and then it connects via cable to the accelerator pedal. It essentially holds the pedal in a fixed position. Here's the diagram (diagram 78-51 on a 1992 HZJ77). You can open the diagram yourself via PartSouq (scroll down to Toyota, choose Land Cruiser, and then fill in the drop downs).

View attachment 3403730

I highly doubt any of this is made any more. You could probably find it on Yahoo Auctions Japan and then order it through Buyee (a shipping proxy). You'll need to add the Google Chrome translate extension. It's a lot of work.

All of the bits for a hand throttle install are still available new.

All of the bits for a hand throttle install are still available new.
That's amazing. Never would have expected that.

I'd sign up for a Beno subscription service for part number questions.

FYI
Don't forget that the civilized world uses LC's. Our new HZJ79 's all show up with hand throttles. I've swapped the crappy 80's series throttles out for the fine tuning of 70 series units.

Sorry, its a LHD European spec vehicle. Stock 1HZ. The hand throttle on my BJ73 was a knob, maybe they switched to a lever later. Good to know that it's all available. I guess my main question was whether I would need to replace the accelerator pedal with one ready to accept the cable knob - looking online I saw pedals for 40's and 60's and if I remember correctly it was a different pedal for the hand throttle cable, but I may have been wrong.

Seems like a non issue since it's a post 90 truck.
Thanks for the help.

All parts available from North Georgia Toyota, free shipping to the dealership - except for the knob and a nut that I can get locally. Had to buy the knob off ebay.

Last edited:
I've been wanting to put a hand throttle back in my LJ78 (the old one broke) and in looking up part numbers it looks like the part for mine was only used in the LJ78 and LJ71 (78410-90K07) and appears to be NLA. However, 78410-90K00 is available and looks very similar, if not the same. In addition, its application lists most models of RHD 70-series from 1985-2016, including several LJ77 and LJ79 models. Would it be safe to assume that it would fit my LJ78?

It's such a simple device I can't see how it wouldn't work so long as it's not too short. Looking up part numbers on ebay often leads to nice photographs which you don't get from the exploded schematics.

Comparing photos of the different versions on Partsouq (78410-90K00, 78410-90K01, and 78410-90K07) they all look basically the same. I am just going to pull the trigger on 78410-90K00 and see how it works. Mostly I just need it to fit the dash the same, the throttle pedal end will have to be customized to fit my fly-by-wire pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom