H42 four speed manual transmission into 1992 FJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

True, but people have been wheeling with it for many, many moons and it seems to have held up well. Also we are talking about a 3FE, which makes a lot less power than a 1FZ.

Also we are talking about a 3FE, which makes a lot less power than a 1FZ.

Owned two of each... pulling a 6000lb truck down the road there is VERY little difference and in fact I've dropped 1FZE's with my 3FE Catty engine on up hills...

I'm not trying to start a war over which engine is better. My question is can the R151 bolt to the back of the 3FE. Yes I realize that it probably isn't as stout as an H151 but it is readily available in the US. This makes it a very tempting option if it bolts up and has the gear lever in the correct place.

I'm not trying to start a war over which engine is better.

You won't. We know which one is better.

My question is can the R151 bolt to the back of the 3FE. Yes I realize that it probably isn't as stout as an H151 but it is readily available in the US. This makes it a very tempting option if it bolts up and has the gear lever in the correct place.

Very doubtful it would bolt up. But even if so, why would you choose a less stout tranny than the H42? (which will bolt to the 3FE). The shifter location is not a huge deal.

I saw this thread in the linkbacks list to this one:

FJ-60 Build-Up

assuming the r151 and r150f have the same bolt pattern it looks like it would work with an adapter. It is hard to tell where the shifter would be, probably in or right in front of the console though.

bending the shifter was no big deal for the h42. I can see the point in trying one of the more common five speeds like and r151 or r150f for the gearing and the fact that they are cheap and adding a crawler to one would probably be easier than the h42 .

how about a ranger overdrive/gear splitter, would there be room for it in the 80 that would be the s***.

there web site says it is poss to bolt to f series engine with mods, but i don't think it would work on the 3fe, to bad, 8 speeds would be nice. i would think for the right price someone could make addapter to make it work though.

there web site says it is poss to bolt to f series engine with mods, but i don't think it would work on the 3fe, to bad, 8 speeds would be nice. i would think for the right price someone could make addapter to make it work though.

Exactly what mods???? an adapter like what you speak of? i can ultimately shave a square to fit a round hole... but it won't be cheap.

I can't really see the benefit of a ranger over other options. If you want overdrive for smaller tires you can bolt in an h55. If you want lower gears bolt in a toybox. I personally am working towards h42 + toybox with rubber overdrive. I think that is a near perfect combo for these trucks.

i think you are right with 37" tires it would be about the same gearing as a factory truck . i was just thinking about the people wanting a overdrive with smaller tires, and the cool factor of 8speed lc.

Having driven mine for a while now the one thing I can say about the 1hd-t - h151f combo is that is needs another gear on the hyway!!! Lots of power @ 60mph and 2600 rpm is a little high. I don't want to get reemed by you guys for complaining about my stock 5-speed but it could use 6th.

What kind of highway speed can get with that four speed? I'm interested in a similar project and this is a great runthrough. Thank you!

MAN do I have some seriously conflicting information...

I assume either transfercase would be fine (the 80's, or the 60's). I assume an 80 transfercase would work, since an 80's transmission is identical to a 62's, or I could possibly use the manual transfercase from an '85 60, which is what's on this powertrain now (though I never did fully resolve the leak issue).

NOBODY has thrown a this powertrain into an 80? C'mon, somebody must have...

The 80 tranny and 60 tranny are different. The 80 has bosses for the gear shifter cast in the body and the 60 does not. The 80 has a stub shaft to the transfer case. The 60 has a full length output shaft that is bolted through the t-case like all other 40 and 60 series t-case. You would have to use a 60 series t-case. From a 62 is prefered with a manual high/low vs. vacuum shift.

What kind of highway speed can get with that four speed? I'm interested in a similar project and this is a great runthrough. Thank you!

With 35" tires I am just under 3k rpms on the highway at 70 MPH. On longer road trips lately I have noticed that I watch the tach more than the speedometer now, I just try to keep it on 3k.

While taching 3k at 70 what mpg are you pulling??:confused:

12-13 consistently in town or on the road. the 3fe seems to like cruising at 3k. With a little more soundproofing it would be more comfortable, but I am still thinking about going to 37's to get the highway rpms down just a little.

12-13 consistently in town or on the road. the 3fe seems to like cruising at 3k. With a little more soundproofing it would be more comfortable, but I am still thinking about going to 37's to get the highway rpms down just a little.

Hmm i'm thinking about this but with my diff gears I think it would be too high for my liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom