GX Burst into Flames (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
About a month ago our radio and rear camera stopped working. I was going to try and get to it this winter but it wasn't a huge deal to us.

I started the GX 470 and was going to take some items to the dump from a house we are clearing out. I think I opened the backdoor twice while it was warming up. My third trip out with garbage bags in hand, I smelled electrical burning and saw an orange drip behind the rear passenger side. I ran to the kitchen to get a fire extinguisher and when I came out 30 seconds later flames were everywhere. I had it out within 90 seconds.

It appears the fire started around this heater core. Does anyone know how this could have happened or know of any defects? There was no damage or anything else here, no fuses blown.. I just don't understand how this could have happened.

At the very least if others have the same problem I thought it should be documented on mud.

Looking for a replacement GX now!
1000004130.jpg
1000004129.jpg

About a month ago our radio and rear camera stopped working. I was going to try and get to it this winter but it wasn't a huge deal to us.

I started the GX 470 and was going to take some items to the dump from a house we are clearing out. I think I opened the backdoor twice while it was warming up. My third trip out with garbage bags in hand, I smelled electrical burning and saw an orange drip behind the rear passenger side. I ran to the kitchen to get a fire extinguisher and when I came out 30 seconds later flames were everywhere. I had it out within 90 seconds.

It appears the fire started around this heater core. Does anyone know how this could have happened or know of any defects? There was no damage or anything else here, no fuses blown.. I just don't understand how this could have happened.

At the very least if others have the same problem I thought it should be documented on mud.

Looking for a replacement GX now!View attachment 3527236View attachment 3527238
I believe that the sub woofer lives behind that panel and may be related to your electrical fire

There are report of water leaking from worn rear quarter window seal. Maybe sunroof drain goes back there too. The inverter, rear AC and main wiring goes to rear door all goes through that corner. I am thinking water damage cause it to short. Not sure why the fuse did not pop.

I was wondering about the fuse; that part really has me confused.

I've been focused on buying a new car while handling a new foster placement and getting him into school this week but I plan on poking around Monday and Tuesday (it's also -12 and 40 mph winds right now so going outside was not appealing today!) to try and find something. I appreciate the ideas, they're all intriguing and since I like building these up I'd love to find out if there's something I should be looking for. The fire was kind of scary!

Can't help but wonder if this is a fluke or a larger issue. From those true electrical folks, should we be checking our inverters? I rarely if ever turn mine on.

I also strongly suggest one of these for all of our rigs....the mount was $50 and the extingusher was around $20. Never know when it will be you, your tent if you are camping, or someone else's rig on the side of the road.
20230528_132240 (1).jpg

Can't help but wonder if this is a fluke or a larger issue. From those true electrical folks, should we be checking our inverters? I rarely if ever turn mine on.

I also strongly suggest one of these for all of our rigs....the mount was $50 and the extingusher was around $20. Never know when it will be you, your tent if you are camping, or someone else's rig on the side of the road.
The inverter sucks anyways, I'm going to proactively remove it now, especially given the leaks that happen in the rear. If you need to use it you will need some type of aftermarket inverter to run anything useful anyways. yikes sorry about your GX JVA - thanks for the post.

The inverter are not on unless the switch is on. There is a fuse you could remove to disable it in the engine compartment fuse box.

The fire probably start from a few chaffed wires. The positive are protected with fuse but grounds are not. If the positive current from a few circuit touched the ground, the ground wire could melt and start a fire while the fuse stays OK.

Based on the initial symthom I would assume the wiring harness that goes to the barn door is the issue. Rear camera and rear door speaker goes to that one big harness. Opening the door must short it more and start the fire.

The inverter are not on unless the switch is on. There is a fuse you could remove to disable it in the engine compartment fuse box.

The fire probably start from a few chaffed wires. The positive are protected with fuse but grounds are not. If the positive current from a few circuit touched the ground, the ground wire could melt and start a fire while the fuse stays OK.

Based on the initial symthom I would assume the wiring harness that goes to the barn door is the issue. Rear camera and rear door speaker goes to that one big harness. Opening the door must short it more and start the fire.
Agree. Spontaneous spark while warming up is less likely than spark from a short in the door harness getting into the batting right behind it then starting the plastics on fire from the HVAC components and working up. The hottest part of the fire is either the start or the most fuel used so hot spots don't always tell the tale.

are you parting out the rig?

That button is right there though, and maybe I'm just a klutz but even though I never use it, once a month or so I bump it and it's 'on'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom