GX 470 Sun Roof Rattle (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Guys,

I am not sure if anyone else has had this issue but my sun roof rattles when I hit bumps in the road. I have opened and closed it, tilted up and back down and have checked for obstructions and have found that nothing really helps. If push up on the glass it seems to have a lot of play in it. Just wondering if anyone is running into this or if it is just me?

2003 GX 470
162K on the clock
3" Ironman Coil over with Metal Tech rear air bag delete conversion.
255/75/17 BFG mudterrains

Thoughts and suggestions are always welcome.

Travis

The official way is to have it adjusted (yourself or dealer). You can jam some rubber washers under the metal rods in the channels on each side to prevent them from slapping. Just make sure they aren't too think as to jam the movement.

I have been reading a ton of service history reports and it looks like the techs adjust or replace the cable the that moves the sunroof.

Yep. That is the official fix (long term). My washer thing is to make it not drive you nuts until you can get it fixed. The repair isn't cheap.

I don't actually have a GX yet but is there any reason that you couldn't unbolt the sunroof, get some matching cable, and replace it?

Hey Guys,

I am not sure if anyone else has had this issue but my sun roof rattles when I hit bumps in the road. I have opened and closed it, tilted up and back down and have checked for obstructions and have found that nothing really helps. If push up on the glass it seems to have a lot of play in it. Just wondering if anyone is running into this or if it is just me?

2003 GX 470
162K on the clock

Travis
Interested in hearing some of the solutions out there, I get the same annoying rattle sometimes.

I will try the Washer Idea? Any particular placement? Or just where they fit?

Isn't there a FSM that just describes how to adjust the cables that are by the dome light. Surely, it can't be that hard to just open the panel count some turns on the cable so you can go back to where you were but also tighten them up a bit so they don't rattle. Mine is rattle free (on the street) so I ain't touching it. But when it does rattle again that is what I am doing.

Does any one have picture or a description of the adjustment that needs to be made to fix the sunroof rattle? I live on a particularly rough road and hear the rattle all the time. My fix was to turn the radio up louder. Now I am ready to fix it for good. Pictures or a link to a write up would be much appreciated.

It isn't too hard. You just remove some plastic trim on the sides and it exposes the hex screws that you can adjust. That will adjust the glass up/down in the closed position. Helped my rattle by about 90%

It isn't too hard. You just remove some plastic trim on the sides and it exposes the hex screws that you can adjust. That will adjust the glass up/down in the closed position. Helped my rattle by about 90%

Just so I’m a bit more clear. “Remove some plastic trim on the sides” where exactly do I remove what plastic trim on the sides??

look at the side of the window from the inside...there are two pieces of plastic trim to remove to access the mechanism/torx screws. 2 on each side trim, 2 on each side screws.

I will try the Washer Idea? Any particular placement? Or just where they fit?

X2, some more detail on where the washers are placed would be great!

Just so I’m a bit more clear. “Remove some plastic trim on the sides” where exactly do I remove what plastic trim on the sides??
Here's the other sunroof thread, with pictures Sun roof rattle

And mine still rattles... also interested in this rubber washer trick.

I tried the rubber washers and had moderate impact (it did help). Adjusting the glass up by loosening the torx bolts and moving the glass back into position helped the most. My glass had settled over the years and the rubber shrank, so there was a depression between the roofline and glass when closed.

I had our dealer repair it. Didn't want any leak, wind or water. If I recall correctly, it is a metal track or bar that "floats" after awhile, (It might be plastic).

Hey Guys,

2003 GX 470
162K on the clock

Travis
For whatever reason lexus only sells the complete assembly (glass and all) for about 700 bucks. That assembly number (63201G) is the same part number for the LX 470s as for the GX 470s. Interestingly enough, it seams for the LX 470, lexus sells the "sunroof glass seal" by itself. I haven't ordered yet because I literally had that light bulb moment 3 minutes ago. If the sunroof assembly is the same part, I can't imaging the sunroof seal not being the same size. Best of luck to you all

For whatever reason lexus only sells the complete assembly (glass and all) for about 700 bucks. That assembly number (63201G) is the same part number for the LX 470s as for the GX 470s. Interestingly enough, it seams for the LX 470, lexus sells the "sunroof glass seal" by itself. I haven't ordered yet because I literally had that light bulb moment 3 minutes ago. If the sunroof assembly is the same part, I can't imaging the sunroof seal not being the same size. Best of luck to you all
You sure about that? Looks like the full Lexus part number for a GX is 6320160081, but for a LX/LC it is 6320160063. However, both do, as you have mentioned, have the 63201G part number of the exploded OEM parts diagram, just a slightly different number for the actual part itself. $82 for a new sunroof seal would be awesome.

Anyone have both a LC100/LX470 and a GX where they could verify the seals are the same? Or are you (or someone else :)) willing to order the LC100 seal and see if it fits a GX sunroof?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom