Grinding noise: A442F Transmission Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hearing that, I would think bearing failure as well.

I opened up the tranny pan and there was tons of metal on the magnets, including some larger chips and lots of "glitter". I just cleaned the magnets recently (see Help me identify metal in transmission pan) so this was all from one trip. I'm tempted to take apart the transmission and see what failed.

I got another transmission from the local pick-n-pull, hope it works. There was zero glitter or metal chips on the magnets on the replacement tranny which is a good sign.

20200210_215231.jpg

Wow, those are some large chips!

Today we dropped the transmission. I couldn't resist opening it up to see what failed, turns out it was the rear planetary gear on the output shaft. The planetary pinion gear mounts were wallowed out and had tons of play and one of the needle bearings totally failed. This led to chipping of the gear teeth and it got so hot that it discolored the metal. Still plenty of friction material in the clutches though. Here is a video I made:

Last edited:
No idea what caused it to fail though. All the other bearings and gears looked great.

Last edited:
What a shocking outcome! I can't help but think this is just awful luck more than anything else. These trucks aren't invincible but their quality control was really high.

BlueSky: do you have the history on this transmission's service schedule; miles driven, frequent ATF drain and fills, complete fluid exchange(s), original fluid, what type/brand of ATF??

BlueSky: do you have the history on this transmission's service schedule; miles driven, frequent ATF drain and fills, complete fluid exchange(s), original fluid, what type/brand of ATF??

This is what I know from the CARFAX maintenance report: I bought the vehicle last November, the PO had the transmission flushed at Brake Masters last September. I called Brake Masters and they said they used Valvoline Maxlife ATF, so that is I what I added as well. The transmission fluid was also changed in 2014 and 2004. The odometer has 220k miles on it.

Last edited:
I can't help but think this is just awful luck more than anything else. These trucks aren't invincible but their quality control was really high.

I tend to agree, in searching the forum I could find very few problems with the A442F, mostly solenoid issues. I only found this post which had a similar problem with tons of metal shavings and trouble with a planetary gear: REBUILD A442F HYDRO HDJ81.

Just a thought. How about shifting the transfer case in neutral, then go through all the gears in the transmission. Wouldn’t that completely eliminate the transfer case? If no noise, then transfer case. IMHO transfer case is suspect more than the bus transmission.

This is what I know from the CARFAX maintenance report: I bought the vehicle last November. The PO noticed noise from transmission. They took to shop and were advised a new transmission was needed. Hoping for the best, they had the transmission flushed at Brake Masters last September. Afterward, there was no improvement so they decided to sell the truck. I called Brake Masters and they said they used Valvoline Maxlife ATF, so that is I what I added as well. The transmission fluid was also changed in 2014 and 2004. The odometer has 220k miles on it.

FIFY

Last edited:
In every manual I've cracked, Toyota only recommends drain and fill.

Power flushing can cause failures by loosening all the debris that was hiding in the corners and unleashing it on the transmission.

Finally a happy ending: I swapped in a transmission from the local salvage yard, which just happened to have a '94 LC. It was a ton of work, but I took it for a test drive tonight and it works great!

Glad you got her back on the road. What did you do with the busted transmission, toss it or keep for spare hard parts in 20 years?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom