Got Pulled Over Today.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Toyota imported many of the 4Runners without back seats, so that they would pay the lower tariff of a pickup truck on the 4Runner. You might be able to have the dealer run you VIN to see if you 4Runner was originally built without a back seat. Once the 4Runners were in the US, dealerships would install back seats so they could sell them. If this is the case with your 4Runner, then the back seat is dealer install equipment and can be removed to register it as a pickup truck.

Last edited:
In wisconsin you have a choice to register a suv as a passenger vehicle or a truck,at least I did when I registered mine.They asked me flat out.These laws are why it is important to pay your dues at your local four wheel drive club.Write your congressman too and tell him how stupid these laws really are.Remember if enough voices are heard something has to be done.The NRA is a perfect example of that.If it wasnt for them we would not have half of our hunting and gun ownership rights(remember Canada!)I think 4wheel drive magazine has some links you can use to become active in the fight to keep our trucks and off-roading spots too.

Good Info...

Ok...

Tires 37x13.50x15

Utah Law: 24 Inches or Lower. Fedral Law 53 Inches From Bottom Of Head Light To Ground.

The Officer Said If I Can't Fix It. The Registration Will Be Revoked. And Can Never Be Driven On The Roads Again Unless It Meets The Requirements.

Also I Passed About 15 City Police Cars. And One Highway Patrol Today. The Highway Patrol Is The One That Got Me. And I Have Been Driving It For About 4 Weeks Now.

And Its Funny, When I Was Siiting There Waiting For Him To Give Me A Fix It Ticket I Saw 2-3 Fords That Were Higher Than Mine Drive Pass.

Is the 24"s frame height or ??? I would imagine frame height, that sucks because I am at 29"s. Now I don't live in UT but CO is not to far behind you. In your other posts I asked you some of the questions you answered here so no worries on a reply there.

The state patrol guy must hate imports ;) Some of them do pick on particular groups of people or vehicles.

Try to rework the registration if not mount a fake frame rail to the bottom of your frame, just a thought.

Back to the fender flares.

In Hawaii we must pass an annual safety inspection, and have a separate "reconstruction" sticker if anything has been modified from stock. To "pass" the wide tire/fender flare issue, we use the plastic landscape edging, the one with the round tube built in to the top edge. If you take your time cutting and shaping it looks pretty decent. Just attach with screws inside the fender lip. :cool:

I know i read somewhere that in Missouri your fron tbumper cannot be more that 24 inches off the ground. And that link Dan posted backs it up so???

lunyou

Toyota imported many of the 4Runners without back seats, so that they would pay the lower tariff of a pickup truck on the 4Runner. You might be able to have the dealer run you VIN to see if you 4Runner was originally built without a back seat. Once the 4Runners were in the US, dealerships would install back seats so they could sell them. If this is the case with your 4Runner, then the back seat is dealer install equipment and can be removed to register it as a pickup truck.

This correct. My 1985 came without a back seat. The seat that was in the truck was a dealer installed solid bench, not the split bench Toyota installed. When I lived in California my truck was registered as a commercial vehicle and I paid the weight fees.

I've since pulled the solid bench out and installed a split bench. Anybody want the old rear seats?

Q:Now I don't live in UT but CO is not to far behind you.

are you sure about colorado?

i had a state patrol pull up next to me in my SOA 60 and gave me a thumbs up.

i don't think colorado would enforce that to much, to many rigs built that way.

Q:Now I don't live in UT but CO is not to far behind you.

are you sure about colorado?

i had a state patrol pull up next to me in my SOA 60 and gave me a thumbs up.

i don't think colorado would enforce that to much, to many rigs built that way.
when i do manage to get pulled over its, do ya want to sell it, or ya know your speeding just a little, ya want to sell it:D , sorry hijack over:beer:

Many of the 'rags publish this info every couple of years. Most of the DMV web sites have this on their sites as well.

the 24" bumper height law doesn't surprise me at all - Minnesota has the same thing. It's not frame height, it's bumper height. MN also has laws on the books that are contradicted by some of the newer vehicles coming off the lot.

My 88 4Runner is at 25" in back right now. My 89 at closer to 30. I got tickets for both.

i love how everyone has a different idea of the law... probably why it's hard for some and easy for others to get around. NO ONE understands it.:lol:

Cam, have Jason call Kurt. he's the law maniac on RME...

i, as well as Gordon are having the same problem here. we are both being told my Inspectors and Jason that runs Corner 66 (Jared's brother), that the height law is based on GVW of the vehicle, hence why you see fords lifted higher...

for our 4Runners/pick ups, the law, based on our GVW's is 24" from the ground to the lowest part of the frame, which is basically the 4-5' section under the doors...

lifted fords, like my old '93 had a 6" lift and 37s and i was totally legal becuase it was based on the Ford's 250 higher GVW which was 26"

...Cam, have Jason call Kurt. he's the law maniac on RME...

No need to call ;)

The wheelbase multiplyer is the OLD law... thank heavens the U4WDA helped push a new law through the legal system (reason enough to join the U4: http://www.u4wda.org/ ;))

As for the NEW law (its actually pretty old ;))

41-6a-1631. Prohibitions.
(1) A person may not operate on a highway a motor vehicle that is mechanically altered or changed:
(a) in any way that may under normal operation:
(i) cause the motor vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the roadway;
(ii) expose the fuel tank to damage from collision; or
(iii) cause the wheels to come in contact with the body;
(b) in any manner that may impair the safe operation of the vehicle;
(c) so that any part of the vehicle other than tires, rims, and mudguards are less than three inches above the ground;
(d) to a frame height of more than 24 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4,500 pounds;
(e) to a frame height of more than 26 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of at least 4,500 pounds and less than 7,500 pounds;
(f) to a frame height of more than 28 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of at least 7,500 pounds;
(g) by stacking or attaching vehicle frames (one from on top of or beneath another frame); or
(h) so that the lowest portion of the body floor is raised more than three inches above the top of the frame.
(2) If the wheel track is increased beyond the O.E.M. specification, the top 50% of the tires shall be covered by the original fenders, by rubber, or other flexible fender extenders under any loading condition.

(1) A person may not operate on a highway a motor vehicle that is mechanically altered or changed:

(d) to a frame height of more than 24 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4,500 pounds;
(e) to a frame height of more than 26 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of at least 4,500 pounds and less than 7,500 pounds;

(2) If the wheel track is increased beyond the O.E.M. specification, the top 50% of the tires shall be covered by the original fenders, by rubber, or other flexible fender extenders under any loading condition.

according to this, my mini truck with a GVW of 4800lbs qualifies for the 26" right?? i hope i read that right.

does this mean i can have 2-3" of tread sticking out of the body??

I just checked the data plate in the door jam of my `85 4Runner and it has a GVW of 4800 lb.s. So, that means my frame can be 26 inches from the ground. And, yes my 4Runner does have a factory rear seat.

Full_M3tal, your `86 should be the same. Check the data plate in the driver side door jam. You may only need to lower it a couple of inches.

Originally Posted by cruiseroutfit

Yes Jerod, I know that that is Utah law. But since I live just 3 1/2 hours from Moab and don't want any unneeded tickets. Also, the GVW rating on the data plate should help Full_M3tal.

...does this mean i can have 2-3" of tread sticking out of the body??

No, it means if your looking from behind, the top 50% of the tire have to have a mudflap or body covering them. ;)

No need to call ;)

The wheelbase multiplyer is the OLD law... thank heavens the U4WDA helped push a new law through the legal system (reason enough to join the U4: http://www.u4wda.org/ ;))

As for the NEW law (its actually pretty old ;))

(i) cause the motor vehicle body or chassis to come in contact with the roadway;
(ii) expose the fuel tank to damage from collision; or
(iii) cause the wheels to come in contact with the body;
(b) in any manner that may impair the safe operation of the vehicle;
(c) so that any part of the vehicle other than tires, rims, and mudguards are less than three inches above the ground;
(f) to a frame height of more than 28 inches for a motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of at least 7,500 pounds;
(g) by stacking or attaching vehicle frames (one from on top of or beneath another frame); or
(h) so that the lowest portion of the body floor is raised more than three inches above the top of the frame.
This Helps Alot
Thank You Kurt !!!!
Ok:
GVW: 5080/2304
Manufactured: Sep 85
VEH Type: Truck
Rear Seat: Split Seat

No, it means if your looking from behind, the top 50% of the tire have to have a mudflap or body covering them. ;)

i knew it was too good to be true:doh:

now the hard part..... convincing the local inspectors my truck is legal:lol:

i have been told by everyone in town (st george) that the law is 24" and i'm too tall:mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom