Got Pulled Over Today.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What's the word on police enforcing state law on out of state visitors? If you're worried about tickets, I bet you've heard of people getting them eh?

Hi Jerod

Normally the police will not write an out-of-stater a ticket for this type of violation. But, they can write you up for this. You usually have to tick them off to get this type of ticket. Then you would have to go through the hassle to deal with it in court. The one advantage that an out-of-stater has is, they can't revoke you registration. Also, if you got this type of ticket and fought it, it would usually be dismissed. An officer would have to prove that your truck was unsafe and a hazard to other motorists for the ticket to be upheld.

Kevin

So, the after reading this thread, I ran into a cop at a local gas station and decided I'd ask him (in Sandpoint, ID). Officer Wheeler informed me that TRUCKS can't be over 28" high and all are required to have mudflaps. I promptly hung my head and told him I'd get in compliance ASAP and wouldn't drive my FJ40 until then. He then asked which rig was mine, and when I pointed at the '40, he had good news. Although he misidentified my 1976 SOA FJ40 for some badass J33p, he told me that there were no height restrictions nor requirements for mudflaps for SWB vehicles (i.e. FJ40s, Sammi's, and J33ps). The only requirements are that they have both front and rear bumpers, so he told me I was perfectly legal!!! He wasn't even concerned that the tires stick out of the wheel wells about 3". YIPPPPPEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Now, with that being said, I'd better get some flaps on my '85 Toy mini when I do the motor swap.....

I was so happy I almost gave him a drink of my Cap. Mo and coke! :doh:

Utah goes by vehicle weight

The legal height of your 4-Runner is 26" to the bottom of the center of the frame. Ask me how I know??? I have one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom