Glow plug sytem Identification help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all

Needing a bit of help with my glow plug system on my 1980 HJ45...Currently runs and drives but only by a using a ghetto Wilson switch if you can even call it that. The way the PO had it was to basically warm up the plugs directly with the battery. also using a direct wire to the battery to pull in the fuel "pull bar" not sure what that part is called (on the left with the yellow cable) and (orange one connected to the busbar) once both of these are touched directly to battery it will start and drive down the road great. Trying to figure what exactly i need to do to make this operate the way it was designed. As you can see i'm fairly new to diesels..(1st one 1st week with it :D)

if it turn the key backwards to pre heat the plugs I do hear a "click " but the dash coil does not ever glow or turn red.

hopefully this will make sense as I have no idea what the parts are called.

Not sure if this would be something i could do my self but would love to if possible.

Thanks for all the help on this

Christian

IMG_5369.JPG

IMG_5374.JPG

IMG_5391.JPG

IMG_5398.JPG

IMG_5321.JPG

Last edited:
Not sure what glow system yours originally came with, but there's nothing ghetto about a Wilson switch. What's ghetto is the way the PO installed it!

Are you missing a glowplug?

What year is that? 1979? 80? Looks like an H.

View attachment 1410179[/QUOTE]
Not sure what glow system yours originally came with, but there's nothing ghetto about a Wilson switch. What's ghetto is the way the PO installed it!

Are you missing a glowplug?

What year is that? 1979? 80? Looks like an H.

Sorry my computer died mid description on this post... But its a 1980 I originally thought it was a 2h but now that I wiped the engine block down I only see (H-73362) I guess its just an H

(I need to look up the differences betweens the two now :hmm:)

That's what i meant was that my "wilson switch" was ghetto haha)

Last edited:
:popcorn:
I have a similar issue and am actually thinking I need to rig a proper Wilson Switch.

Looks like you're missing a glow plug.

I just chased these wires down the other day. The yellow wire, I believe that ought to go to your starter from the magnet (above the starter). Although your starter doesn't look like mine, both the H and 2H had this. Not sure what is going on with your orange wire, but you mentioned a Wilson switch, so I will assume it comes from a solenoid connected to your battery? Otherwise, your glow plug relay should be connected to your bus bar.

You're not alone, brother, my 1H is kicking my butt too. Have you downloaded the FSM from Trollhole? It's free and very helpful.

Looks like you're missing a glow plug.

I just chased these wires down the other day. The yellow wire, I believe that ought to go to your starter from the magnet (above the starter). Although your starter doesn't look like mine, both the H and 2H had this. Not sure what is going on with your orange wire, but you mentioned a Wilson switch, so I will assume it comes from a solenoid connected to your battery? Otherwise, your glow plug relay should be connected to your bus bar.

You're not alone, brother, my 1H is kicking my butt too. Have you downloaded the FSM from Trollhole? It's free and very helpful.

Thanks man happy i'm not the only one...I've been looking at old treads with this info or similar examples on plugs. however most of the images seem to be removed making it tuff figure out...I have not downloaded FSM and honestly don't even know about this trollhole you speak of..but Thanks for the tip ill look into it :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom