Georgia 1980 FJ40 Build Thread w/ Cummins R28 Diesel (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I'm also doing a diesel build currently. I went with a 1HDT Toyota Diesel. Haven't bought my transmission or transfer case yet.

Interesting 40. I've always like the final year dash configurations so that's kind of neat. Your original frame is good enough for the rust belt crew to get good use out of. Remember to transfer over your frame number to the new frame to keep the next owner from cursing your offspring. Best of luck with the build.

p.s. - it's a "40" around here, not an "FJ". FJ generally refers to the FJ Cruiser. Technically the "F" means a petrol engine and is used broadly across the entire Land Cruiser line up 0f 25's, 35's, 40's, 45's, 55's, 56's, 60's, 62's, 80's blah blah blah.

You should drive a 40 with the 2.8 before jumping in. I wish I had, just to manage expectations. Not saying I don't like it, just wish my first time wasn't behind the wheel of my own rig.

It'll cruise at 70mph just fine, but limitations on steering geometry, center of gravity, wheelbase, and poor suspension design, triggers a self preservation response going much faster than that. 😆
You should add caster plates and you’ll get much better feeling to the steering/drivability. But yes, it’s not designed to drive so fast.

You should add caster plates and you’ll get much better feeling to the steering/drivability. But yes, it’s not designed to drive so fast.

Steering goes back to center just fine. It's a terrible road vehicle. 😆

I'd start at shackle reversal in the front, and flip the rear springs. Which I may do.

Well got some work done this past weekend, Managed to remove the doors, entire roof, ambo doors as well. Already have a buyer coming to take them away tomorrow am. So that’s good. I know a lot of folks advised me not to sell these, but not my vision for this 40 at all. Next steps are to remove the dash, the old wire harness, etc and then onto removing all the old paint and any bonds, etc….see what the body looks like. Then make repairs as necessary, and prime for painting.
FF290048-EDE3-4BAE-A9B6-AC1905509E05.jpeg

C3C8E59C-24F9-4B9C-8188-6839347E1213.jpeg

4513C39F-6847-4475-A7E2-1D9A299B4316.jpeg

2A1FF173-0F5D-48DF-B37B-88E87034AB10.jpeg

1DF6DC5F-AB55-490A-871F-7E322A3A50FC.jpeg

Long time, work busy as hell lately. So got off the body, etc, down to nothing. Always nice to have a buddy with a mobile sand blaster. WELL WORTH THE MONEY just for the amount of time saved removing the paint. Some pictures of the action below. Body is now in the hands of the paint shop, where we will be LINE-X’ing the underside, floor and firewall. Decided on paint color, which will be the newer Toyota Lunar Rock color. Also, powder coated the axles, came out pretty nice. Still waiting on the R2.8 from Quick Draw…new delivery date is end of May/June timeframe. Working on rebuilding the rear/front axles/knuckles this weekend. MORE TO FOLLOW.
IMG_0608.jpeg
IMG_0603.jpeg
IMG_0607.jpeg

IMG_0624.jpeg

IMG_5294.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom