General thoughts on this fj55 ad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all, I’m looking out for a fj55 as a first car, and to beat ya to it I know how financially crippling and impractical it’ll be but I’m keen haha. Anyways I stumbled across this ad and from what I can see 5k AUD for one with 12 months rego seems awfully cheap. What should I look out for other than the obvious rust issues? Interestingly that roof gutter area per the photo doesn’t look too bad. Should I be worried about the engine and drivetrain swaps? Obviously I can only tell this for certain by checking it out in person which I will do but just wanted to hear your thoughts!

Thanks for your time

Also if this is the wrong thread I’m very sorry I’m new here let me know if so and I’ll move it :)

2CA8762E-2589-4B57-82B3-806683748DC4.jpeg

Last edited:
Sounds great, but bring that magnet and check for putty. Running gear can be rebuilt, but check for major leaks, motor mount welds, sloppy steering parts, etc. Maybe do a compression check on the motor.

Like the dual fuel. LPG has almost no emissions. Sick to have a car from the 70,s that beats a modern car on emissions! Yeah okay I'm from California.

Sounds great, but bring that magnet and check for putty. Running gear can be rebuilt, but check for major leaks, motor mount welds, sloppy steering parts, etc. Maybe do a compression check on the motor.
Sorry I’m a bit new to all this, is the magnet to detect bog and filler ?

From the write up and single photo I’d say it warrants a further look at least...

Edit- the owner clearly has nothing to hide with his :censor: right up front in the ad

I think it's great that you are looking at a classic like a 55 as your first car. You will be the envy of your mates. I have four children and one in particular has similar leanings but unfortunately his father, me, won't let him go that direction because I want to make sure whatever I get him to drive will be very reliable and safe. Now one can argue about air bags etc., and given that most 2F pigs are relatively slow, large, and have tremendous amounts of steel, I wouldn't be overly concerned with safety as long as you are a reasonably good driver.

I would worry about reliability though. These vehicles are old. They can have brand new engines and still leave you stranded because something else in the drive train goes. As long as you appreciate that there may be times where you won't have it for a few days, or longer, and can live with that then go for it.

Agree with all the advice you've been given. Looks like a very promising 55 with a more than reasonable price. Good luck and more pics when you see it.

Ahaha thanks for the input all, I gave him a ring earlier and waiting for a call back or I’ll try him again soon. I’ll keep you all updated !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom