General hood refresh and upgrade, because why not (3 Viewers)

NLXTACY

Wits' End
Supporting Vendor

Is the hood liner really necessary? My hood liner is saturated with oil, mud, and grease and looks like it is more likely to catch fire. I know that if I pull it off, the clips will break but I need to reattach the ribs to the hood skin. Everytime I lift my hood, bits of old seam sealer fall out.
clips are cheap

John Young

SILVER Star
I really like the idea of under-hood LED lights. I was thinking a mercury tilt switch might be nice, bu then it probably would flash on and off annoyingly when the truck bounces. Maybe just an old-fashioned toggle switch under the hood somewhere... You've got me thinking. Thank you.

I really like the idea of under-hood LED lights. I was thinking a mercury tilt switch might be nice, bu then it probably would flash on and off annoyingly when the truck bounces. Maybe just an old-fashioned toggle switch under the hood somewhere... You've got me thinking. Thank you.
Why not just install a plunger switch like what's on your door jam to turn your under hood lights on, it would work great in this application.

John Young

SILVER Star
Why not just install a plunger switch like what's on your door jam to turn your under hood lights on, it would work great in this application.
Well, RM, sadly my 80 spends a fair amount of time with the hood up and if the light were on all the time it would drain the battery...

Well, RM, sadly my 80 spends a fair amount of time with the hood up and if the light were on all the time it would drain the battery...
If that's the case, you could just put the toggle switch in line with the plunger switch. That way if you're hood was open for a long time you could just turn the under hood lights off via the toggle switch just like our dome lights are set up.

John Young

SILVER Star
If that's the case, you could just put the toggle switch in line with the plunger switch. That way if you're hood was open for a long time you could just turn the under hood lights off via the toggle switch just like our dome lights are set up.
Not to drag this out, but I've actually come around to your point of view on using a plunger switch. I have a battery cutoff on the truck already, and I habitually unscrew it when I'm not working on the truck. Now I just need to find a plunger switch and some suitable low-profile LED fixtures....

In fact, I just bought some stuff off Ali Baba to do it:

1600813864318.png

There are good ones and bad ones of these. I'm hoping these are actually Samsung chips.

These are IP68 injection molded LEDs. I've bought these before in the Middle East and they are pretty tough.

And some sealed roller switches of a couple of different types.
1600813603892.png

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)

Top Bottom