Gas Smell, Poor MPG (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Guys,

Need a little help diagnosing an issue with my 87 4runner. Thread showing the truck is here
1987 4runner, Project Midlife Crisis

Last few tanks through the truck I've noticed poor MPG, 12-13, and a strong odor of gas when the tank is near full in the area near the gas fill. I'm thinking maybe the filler neck is leaking? Just a guess.

Thoughts? Also, for the life of me I can't find a filler neck online. any help

The rubber seals of the filler neck could have died. Could also be a rusted fuel tank. A hole in the top will splash fuel out when you accelerate or brake. It also will let the fumes out when you fill it, possibly some gas too.

For fuel economy I would start with the basic tune-up stuff, and check to make sure the EFI system is working properly. Any codes? My experience has been when my economy tanks it's because I've lost the OX sensor.

i have a leak at the top of the tank where the fuel pickup is. it constantly leaks no matter if the truck is still or moving.
it may have something to do with the pumping action and what not. I'm doing my gasket this weekend. I also had poor mileage and no power. I did basic tuneup and the truck is running great. mileage has improved too but I expect it to get even better when i fix that darn leak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom