FZJ80 owner @ Zion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there, I brought this beast out from Maryland, luckily not much rust, as it was originally from the SW anyway. Since buying, I've replaced the tires and battery, done what I could with the undercarriage rust, probably needs a new starter. It has aftermarket seats and a new stereo. Spare tire winch has already rusted itself off, so I've got to see about getting a new one. Definitely want to know if I need to stick with the 80 series chain winch, or if I can a newer version that will fit the existing screws (?). Great car, 230k miles, figuring out what I can afford to put on it. It's amazing how few drinkholders Toyota thought they could get away with in the '90s...
IMG-1006.jpg

IMG-1130.jpg

70552953129--02A9FABF-184D-4AD9-BFD4-79BB7E8847E8.jpg

80 series chain winch?

+1 stick with 80 series winch. Just easier. Maybe others could fit but why bother?

Based on where it lived (Rust Belt) and the photo of the engine bay I would assume that the spare tire carrier mechanism and bracket is also rusty (er), so it might help to remove the spare and inspect the whole assembly for rust. If bad you can remove the entire bracket/cross-member then remove the rust, treat the remaining rust in pits with a rust-killer product, prime, paint, etc,etc. Definitely soak the bolts first from both ends (head and threaded end) in penetrating oil a few times over a few days.

For the price of a new spare tire chain assembly, might be easier to just buy new if the original is in bad shape??

Last edited:
Yeah- I mean the spare tire winch. The newer series have cables instead- seemed cheaper online.

Part link
I knew what you meant. That link shows the correct winch. (Interesting though, it says it's for steel wheels only. But mine is just like that and worked on the factory alloys :meh: Not sure the diff there.)

Only way to really tell if a 100series+ winch would work is to take off what you have and reference the newer units for similarity. My hunch is that it would not, but your 'gin to confirm.

OR are you asking if a newer 80 series winch would work on an older 80 series?
I'm pretty sure it would but others can confirm.

Hi there, I brought this beast out from Maryland, luckily not much rust, as it was originally from the SW anyway. Since buying, I've replaced the tires and battery, done what I could with the undercarriage rust, probably needs a new starter. It has aftermarket seats and a new stereo. Spare tire winch has already rusted itself off, so I've got to see about getting a new one. Definitely want to know if I need to stick with the 80 series chain winch, or if I can a newer version that will fit the existing screws (?). Great car, 230k miles, figuring out what I can afford to put on it. It's amazing how few drinkholders Toyota thought they could get away with in the '90s...View attachment 3448966
Looks good. IMO, leave as is-don't do the bolded above.

Based on where it lived (Rust Belt) and the photo of the engine bay I would assume that the spare tire carrier mechanism and bracket is also rusty (er), so it might help to remove the spare and inspect the whole assembly for rust. If bad you can remove the entire bracket/cross-member then remove the rust, treat the remaining rust in pits with a rust-killer product, prime, paint, etc,etc. Definitely soak the bolts first from both ends (head and threaded end) in penetrating oil a few times over a few days.

For the price of a new spare tire chain assembly, might be easier to just buy new if the original is in bad shape??
Yeah getting that cross-member piece off was my original goal, but- with the rust at the contact with the rear frame- settling for bolt cleaning for now. This car will make you want a garage lift quick.

BidsontheRocks if you have the money you could go with a aftermarket swing out spare tire carrier, On the plus side the swing out carrier will offer you more departure ground clearance while off road, seeing as you don't have your spare tire hanging down underneath the truck, On the negative side you always have to open the swing out tire carrier before you can open your tail gate,​

Yeah getting that cross-member piece off was my original goal, but- with the rust at the contact with the rear frame- settling for bolt cleaning for now. This car will make you want a garage lift quick.
You can also get used parts from:

@slow95z (GA)
@arcteryx (TX)

dude i cant do anything for a while but thank you for tagging me

I knew what you meant. That link shows the correct winch. (Interesting though, it says it's for steel wheels only. But mine is just like that and worked

OR are you asking if a newer 80 series winch would work on an older 80 series?
I'm pretty sure it would but others can confirm.
The 97 80 still had the chain hoist. Working used ones should be out there. Hose the next one’s mechanism down with chain lube and it‘lol stay working.

dude i cant do anything for a while but thank you for tagging me
I know, but I felt that you would respond if you could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom