FZJ100 Head on on LX450 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The motor on my 1fz-fe just hit 200K today. I expect it to run quite a bit longer but have ben doing a bunch of research on a rebuild or V8 swap in about two years. I was just looking up the 1fz-fe on wikipedia and learned that they put an updated version of this engine in the first 100 series land cruisers with an updated head.

Is it possible to obtain the updated head and swap it into my truck when rebuilding the engine? The updated engine made 240 HP (28+) and 300 torque. Seems like a good upgrade is possible? Has anybody done this?

Wikipedia says,

"Starting in 1998, the fuel injected version of the 1FZ-FE was also manufactured with a direct ignition variation available in certain non-US markets. This version of the engine received many updates over the previous version such as a redesigned head, more compact pistons, updated throttle body, an improved intake manifold with longer intake runners, 4 nozzle fuel injectors to improve fuel atomization and direct ignition."

If that is the case I imagine there's no way it's a simple head swap.

Anything is possible but the later head doesn't have a distributor so you would need a new ignition system, you would need a stand alone computer to run it. But the LX block doesn't have a crank sensor so you would need a new balancer with pickups for crank position.

So not really practical but sure possible.

Last edited:
Someone on here has done the head and ignition system swap already. Search for distributerless ignition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom